2003 Es 300 - Adjustment Possible For Moonroof Closed Position?

recently purchased a 2003 ES 300 privately. It is still under its powertrain warranty, but, past its comprehensive warranty which would have likely covered this kind of adjustment. Just wondering if this is something I might be able to handle myself.

When fully closed the rear of the sunroof sits down about 1/8" from being completely flush with the roof.

It always closes in this position whether I am closing it from the fully retracted position or the popped up position.

I'd like to adjust it so its fully closed position is perfectly flush with the roof. Is this something simple I can do myself and if so, could anyone describe the procedure or even better, provide a link to a tutorial with pictures showing how to do this adjustment?

Thanks.

Tilt the glass and pop off the side trim garnish pieces that snap onto the sunroof glass. There is a trim piece that snaps into the aluminum rail, just slide it back and you'll see 2 TORX bolts. Close the glass and loosen the bolts and adjust the sunroof. Tighten and reassemble.

Tilt the glass and pop off the side trim garnish pieces that snap onto the sunroof glass. There is a trim piece that snaps into the aluminum rail, just slide it back and you'll see 2 TORX bolts. Close the glass and loosen the bolts and adjust the sunroof. Tighten and reassemble.

hey , great that it was you who responded. I was reading through other posts trying to find others who might have experienced this problem and I noticed you had commented on the sunroof having to "relearn" its travel route. I attempted to send you a PM, but, I received an error message saying I wasn't allowed to use PM or email feature of this board. I have no idea why.

On the "relearning" thing, I tried holding the close button (from the fully open position), but, it stops at the "close" position and I have to release the button and then repress to pop up the sunroof. Same thing for going through the cycle the other way. So, I'm assuming this "relearning" thing won't help in this case?

I also tried the open all the windows and roof by holding the open button on the remote and that worked fine as well as the one touch open and close button on the sunroof.

I noticed a few others suggesting shims for sunroofs that sag a bit. Are these on older model sunroofs that don't have the adjustment you're referring to?

I will take a look at the sunroof and see if I can follow your instructions.

I just took a quick look and I believe I see the trim piece you're talking about. Long, thin, black plastic?

And this just pops off, I hope. I do see several bolts underneath and it appears there may be some adjustment room. I'll look for the torx bolts.

I don't suppose there is a pictorial anywhere that shows exactly what you're talking about is there? A picture is worth a thousand words or in my case, seeing before doing can often prevent the inevitable follow up post

"ok, things didn't go exactly as planned....." :unsure:

I attempted to send you a PM, but, I received an error message saying I wasn't allowed to use PM or email feature of this board. I have no idea why.

because the PM function and email function are not accessable to new members. When your post count is greater than 20, then these functions become available to you.

steviej

I attempted to send you a PM, but, I received an error message saying I wasn't allowed to use PM or email feature of this board. I have no idea why.

because the PM function and email function are not accessable to new members. When your post count is greater than 20, then these functions become available to you.

steviej

Ah, and just like that, it becomes clear. Well, at least this reply counts toward my 20. :D

Thanks for letting me know and if you have anything to add in my moonroof adjustment query, please feel free to jump in so I can say thanks and add another post to my tally.

OK, here's an update. I managed to get one of those side trim garnish pieces off easily on the passenger side which exposed 1 TORX bolt. The black plastic trim plate that seems to clip onto the aluminum rail seems to bend down out of the way with no problem. Unfortunately, I've only got a TORX screwdriver and just couldn't budge that bolt. Likely need a socket set with a TORX end to release that screw. When you said 2 TORX bolts, did you mean 1 on EACH side? I hope so, if not I'm confused.

If I'm correct, then you're saying once those TORX bolts are loose lower the sunroof to the normal closed postion and just push up a little bit on the glass until the sunroof is flush with the roof and then retighten the TORX bolts and the sunroof should now close in this newly aligned position. Is that correct?

And finally, any tricks to popping off the garnish trim on the driver side? Passenger side popped off very easily and the driver side is hanging on as if it was welded on there. I didn't want to put too much pressure on it and break that black plastic garnish trim.

There are 2 bolts per side. One in the front and one in the rear.

Oh, I see. I only removed the rearward portion of the sunroof garnish trim so I only saw the TORX bolt at the rear.

Is there any reason to loosen the front TORX bolt on each side if all I want to do is raise the rear of the sunroof up by about 1/8"?

I am assuming that the TORX bolt simply screws out and that there is no nut holding it in place. Is that correct?

And any hints on removing that garnish trim at the rear without damaging it?

There are 2 bolts per side. One in the front and one in the rear.

Oh, I see. I only removed the rearward portion of the sunroof garnish trim so I only saw the TORX bolt at the rear.

Is there any reason to loosen the front TORX bolt on each side if all I want to do is raise the rear of the sunroof up by about 1/8"?

*** I adjusted the rear part of the roof by just loosening the 2 rear TORX bolts and pushing up on the inside glass of the sunroof on each rear corner and using a screwdriver to tighten the TORX bolts in that position. I then used a socket driver with TORX end to do the final tightening. ****

I am assuming that the TORX bolt simply screws out and that there is no nut holding it in place. Is that correct?

*** The TORX bolt simply screws out. No nut behind to deal with. ****

And any hints on removing that garnish trim at the rear without damaging it?

*** I just carefully pried it off with a flat screwdriver. ***

My answers to my own questions above are noted by ***.

As I suspected, I needed a socket set with a TORX end to loosen those TORX bolts. I was able to buy a single TORX socket end at a local auto parts store.

Sunroof is now aligned properly when closed and operates normally. :cheers:

• 3 years later...