Slightly Higher Engine Temp

akewlguy

Just had my thermostat replaced and then changed to prestone wonder fluid instead of the regular (previously in engine). As it works out my engine running temp is slightly higher then before.

I would say it is about 43% from the bottom. Maybe an 1/8" above second bar...

Anyone else in that range? Or see different temps with fluids?

The coolant you used probably isn't the problem. My car runs just dandily on green Prestone coolant for the past 120k+ miles with no temperature issues whatsoever. My needle always stays on the third bar.

Just had my thermostat replaced and then changed to prestone wonder fluid instead of the regular (previously in engine). As it works out my engine running temp is slightly higher then before.

kewl:

I just did my timing belt, etc., inculding the 'stat. It's aftermarket, not OEM & it runs a little "hotter", just slightly above the bar. It annoys me, so I think I'm going to buy an OEM & change it out. I seriously doubt I'll ever have a problem if I left it, other than a serious case of teeth gnashing.

BTW, I re-filled with Toyota "Red" after flushing the cooling system.

The coolant you used probably isn't the problem. My car runs just dandily on green Prestone coolant for the past 120k+ miles with no temperature issues whatsoever. My needle always stays on the third bar.

my needle also stays on the third line?! but when i had the Toyota red stuff in there it was slightly above the second line. i used a OEM Toyota Stat and Prestone Yellow "Universal" coolant. never overheated but just concerns me. also with the toyota red stuff the engine temp stayed consistent longer, the yellow stuff rises and lowers very quickly! you should be fine though!

Good Luck! :cheers:

Hi,

From my experience on camry for different world regions are different thermostats (in California full-open temp is lower than eg. in Europe). Check if your thermostat is exactly the same like old one (should be symbol defining temperature on it)

Other option - you need to vent coolant circuit (I always to following - add coolant to full on cold engine, turn engine on, set heater to full, all time control if coolant level goes down in reservoir then add coolant, wait until engine reaches operating temperature, stop engine, wait until becomes cold/warm (15-20 minutes) add coolant if necessary and that's it. You can also help to vent making pressure on rubber hoses when engine goes warm.

Auto parts store thermostat = 195 degrees = accelerated wear of your motor, it's gaskets and various components under the hood. Toyota OEM thermostat = 180 degrees.

Thank You Kind sir for answering the question that I have been meaning to get around to asking............

I'll let my fingers do the walking on the P/P Lexus website. :D

I do think it gets warmer quicker with the prestone instead of the green crap. What is a pain in the butt in my case is I bought all the stuff to do the dash, but its been so freaking cold. Also I tried once but the clips or something are a challenge.

So one time I was driving and then the lights finally came on and yellow low gas light. You always just wonder if it would over heat.

The one thing I can say is the car is so freaking awesome! Everyone at my work making 100k wants my car. People still let me go in front or turn first. This car is a head turner and just so freaking pretty! I am still lin love and the ride is awesome! There is honestly nothing like it. When you need the power just hit the gas. When you want to look kewl tint the windows and raise the roof. Dont forget the kick as. glasses and you look like a VIP. Have the hot lady and you look like a super VIP!

Have fun and long live the LS. I might get a new thermostat and at the same time do the brakes and rotors.

my needle also stays on the third line?! but when i had the Toyota red stuff in there it was slightly above the second line. i used a OEM Toyota Stat and Prestone Yellow "Universal" coolant. never overheated but just concerns me. also with the toyota red stuff the engine temp stayed consistent longer, the yellow stuff rises and lowers very quickly! you should be fine though!

Good Luck! :cheers:

Hmmmm, interesting! Everything I've read here and CL suggests that the "norm" for the coolant gauge is the third marking. I ran Toyota red for a while--noticed the same performance as the green that was in there before. Not to mention, the green is way cheaper! For some reason unknown to me, paying $20 for a gallon of Toyota coolant just "grinds my gears." <_<

Think there is some confusion on which bar is being referred to by members.

IF you count the very bottom bar, yes it is 3 bars.

But if you don't count the very bottom bar (which is where the needle is when shut down) then it is 2 bars.

Does this sound right guys?

Think there is some confusion on which bar is being referred to by members.

IF you count the very bottom bar, yes it is 3 bars.

But if you don't count the very bottom bar (which is where the needle is when shut down) then it is 2 bars.

Does this sound right guys?

Sounds exactly right Arkansas!

:cheers:

hi guys

i just had slightly elevated temp on gauge, found the radiator cap was the problem.(the one on the coolant reservoir that is)

Pressure testing showed it was leaking slightly and losing pressure. U can do quick visual check by looking carefully at the seals under cap to see if gone hard and or partly breaking away. Only started losing a tiny bit of water towards the end.U should hear a pressure release when u remove the cap(not when hot though, u might get a bath)

swordfish

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you should be worried because if your gauge is accurate your coolant temp is definately above normal and the extra high temp is slashing miles and years off the life expectancy of your engine, its cylinder head and other gaskets and many other parts. You might need to find a shop or individual who has one of those infrared heat guns to verify whether or not the radiator coolant temp is really around 210-220 degrees or is actually normal (180 degrees). If 180 then there is no problem and your dash temp gauge simply isn't calibrated correctly. Does your dash temp gauge stay steady on the the 4th line when driving or does it fluctuate alot between the 3rd and 4th line?

I have noticed over the past several weeks my needle is up about 1 mm from normal too. My theory is this: Summer gas is being introduced. The refineries produce two different types to help combat pollution due to cold air density. My theory is that the summer blend is being reintroduced now to the market and the car is just adjusting to it. Because my thermostat is new as is the housing seal from the dealership.

the temp is consistent meaning that the temp doesn't go up or down while driving. i thought it may be the Prestone coolant? i also have a head gasket leak which slowly leaks oil onto the exhaust manifold. i think that is more of the issue. will change soon! i was gonna change the coolant back to toyota red also, and add a new aluminum core radiator just in case. I've read that alum core is the best quality and come standard on the '93+ so i figure why not? Dont think it' the waterpump but i'm gonna add that too. am i over doing it? and one more thing, i was gonna check and adjust the valves while i do the gasket. is this necessary? and should i use SST A and B or is there any better tools?

Check your radiator too, if you havent rinsed out the cooling fins for a long time or ever, do that. Just use a garden hose and medium pressure, becareful not to use high pressure hoses as it may bend the fins. You would be suprised how much fine dirt and bugs get caught up in there. Cleaning that out will help air to better flow through and cool.

gentlemen.

check your reservoir caps.

I had slight temp elevation and then noticed small coolant loss, 1/2 inch or so,

was the seal on the cap had gone hard and letting pressure escape when hot.New cap and car runs better,temp back down.

swordfish