Replacing Oem 1998 Ls 400 Low Beams

hammo400

Hi LSers,

I noticed my Left front Low beam on my 1998 LS400 was out. I have purchased OEM replacement, but the Owner's manual doesn't give instructions on replacement. I think it's just plug 'n play, but I'm hoping there are experienced folks that have done this and can tell me what screws to undo where and how repl;ace the bulb.

Thanks

Hammo400

It seems odd but not even my official two volume 2000 LS400 repair manual set describes exactly how to replace a headlight bulb in my 00 LS although it does show the headlight housing in detail.

On inspecting my car, it looks like the routine is about the same as for the 90 LS I had for many years - and I changed the headlight bulbs on it many times. I have not had to replace a headlight bulb in my 00 LS so the rest of this is speculation based on the 90 I had.

First you remove the one screw you can see that holds on the turn signal. Carefully, using your finger tips at the front edge of the turn signal housing, pry the turn signal housing outward until it pops out. Be sure to spread the force so you don't crack the housing. Then unplug the cable from it and set it aside - or just let it dangle.

Once the turn signal has been removed, you should see one or two outer bolts holding the light housing to the outside corner of the car body. Remove them.

Remove the upper and lower inner (near the radiator) bolts holding the light housing to the car frame.

The entire light housing should now lift right out. (It took a bit of "jockeying" to remove the housing on my 90 LS.) You should be able to free the light housing from the electrical housing by simply unplugging it.

Someone reported recently that the autoleveling of the HID lights did not work after a bulb was replaced. I do not remember seeing the reason posted.

At least on my 90 LS, as long as I did not mess with the aiming screws, I could replace a bulb without re-aiming the headlights.

Thanks to 1990LS400, I , too, thought it was similar to the 1991 LS400 I had , and replaced signal bulbs AND low beams.

I found an excellent DIY with pix online describing , just as you have, the process. I'll get the URL on my next posting.

Thanks, I'm all over it this weekend !

do you have HID's or halogens on your 98?

JUST HALOGENS - and I will replace with same. The HID kits are a bit more effort than I have the time to invest at this point. The cost is a little prohibitive as well.

I was only asking as a reference on how to tackle the changing of the bulbs as i have HID's OEM on my LS but you have Halogens as an option instead. Thus i would not be able to give you a perfect representation of how to change a halogen bulb.