Is It Hard To Change The Battery Myself?

My 1993 Lexus ES300's battery just died on me. I was wondering if it requires alot of work to replace the battery myself. Or should i just jumpstart the car and take it to NTB or something?

If i do it myself? What kind of tools would i need? Would normal socket ranches do for this job?

TIA!

If you just look at it you can tell how easy it is to replace you can use basic socket wrenches. Hardest part for me was taking the contact things off since they were all corroded, might be same for you since its 1993.

I was unscrewing the positive bolt and accidentaly touched some metal part with the tool and bam it sparked and scared me, so don't do that.

Also make sure on new battery the + and - match up, might have to turn battery other way.

for the terminals to match up, if say, you need a 318 series battery, just get the 318R, instead of turning the battery around... the R signifies reversed terminals. easiest thing to do is go to autozone/pep boys and just ask someone to look up the right battery in the computer for your car. all batteries are not created equal.

My 1993 Lexus ES300's battery just died on me. I was wondering if it requires alot of work to replace the battery myself. Or should i just jumpstart the car and take it to NTB or something?

If i do it myself? What kind of tools would i need? Would normal socket ranches do for this job?

TIA!

I'm not very mechanical, but I can do it. It's fairly easy. Just make sure you get the right battery.

Always disconnect the negative (black) terminal and make sure the black lead is well away from the terminal before touching the red lead. When reinstalling, connect the red lead first.

Good luck.

No it's not hard. 10mm to get the hold-down off. Remove battery. Installation is the opposite.

How sure are you that the batetry needs to be replaced. Lots of things can result in a fully discharged battery that simply needs to be recharged.

If the alternator has failed, for instance, you may find yourself out the cost of a new battery for no good reason.

The best thing to do is to restart the vehicle via jumper cables and then see if the charging system will recharge the battery.

And by the way its SPRINGTIME!

This is the most common time of year for corroded or slightly loose battery terminals to "show" themselves.

I would remove the battery connections, clean and burnish the battery posts and connections, reconnect, and then see if the battery and charging system works correctly.

No it's not hard. 10mm to get the hold-down off. Remove battery. Installation is the opposite.

How sure are you that the batetry needs to be replaced. Lots of things can result in a fully discharged battery that simply needs to be recharged.

If the alternator has failed, for instance, you may find yourself out the cost of a new battery for no good reason.

The best thing to do is to restart the vehicle via jumper cables and then see if the charging system will recharge the battery.

And by the way its SPRINGTIME!

This is the most common time of year for corroded or slightly loose battery terminals to "show" themselves.

I would remove the battery connections, clean and burnish the battery posts and connections, reconnect, and then see if the battery and charging system works correctly.

I reconnected the battery without success.

I was ble to get a brand new one from NTB and the engine started immedately! Called my brother and he mentioned he does not remember the last time he changed the battery.. and it has been 4 years since i bought the car from him.