Cost Of Replacement Keys

HRP

My wife reported that she had heard a discussion on a talk show about the cost of replacement keys for newer Japanese Luxury cars. The gist was that replacement keys for a Lexus (Accura, etc) ran between 2 and 4 thousand bucks. Reason given was the patent protected electronics involved.

1) True or false?

2) If ture, does that apply to my 2002 LS430?

From a news story at http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...7/1003&refsect=

"The Center for Auto Safety said the cost soars into the thousands of dollars if the automaker or dealership replaces a vehicle's electronic control module.

Some advanced systems are programmed so that the modules are matched to a unique set of keys. If the original keys are lost or damaged, the module also must be replaced."

The bottom line is to not lose all your keys. If your 02 LS430 is similar to our 00 LS400, it takes one working key to program a new one - otherwise the ECM has to be replaced. My wife and I each carry a set of keys for the LS but a third key set is safely stored away.

Yes, its true that new high security key system could cost you around $2000.00 if you lose the last master key. KEEP READING................because the ECU (control computer) must be replaced if you don't have the key.

This is my own experience, I bought the 2000 LS with no key (assuming it's no big deal) afraid of dealership costs I searched all over but no one was able to cut and program keys. Some locksmiths were asking $1300.00 to $1500.00 for reflashing my ECU. Then I started calling dealerships until I one dealer helped me out.

FACT#1: But Lexus does provide courtesy first time replacement of ECU and keys at no cost. This is Lexus policy. But some dealers wouldn't want to acknowledge it in order to make money. Keep calling your area Lexus dealers and talk to service reps.

FACT#2: The aftermarket remote keys are made better with sturdier and plastic shell than the OEM ones, told by my friendly dealer who recommended me to buy from outside for a max of $99.00 and I did.

All of the above are my personal experience and not rumors.

My wife checked into replacing an ignition key to our 1993 LS400. Cost quoted was $250. This does not have any electronic brain in the key - only the pushbutton for the remote lock/unlock feature. Is this the standard cost for replacement key for this year and model? Thanks for your help! Roy

hi,

have a 92. the deal is you can get a non-remote key for $25 at a good locksmith. the remote keys on this generation are not programmable, so you have to buy a new unlock module to match the new key-- maybe $250 or so.

jc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

My wife lost her master key and I'm looking at E-bay keys. I don't want to pay another $175+ for a Lexus OEM master key that may be no better than keys found on E-bay. What do you guys think about this key?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNCUT-98-99...1QQcmdZViewItem

But some dealers wouldn't want to acknowledge it in order to make money. Keep calling your area Lexus dealers and talk to service reps.

This is untrue. Some dealers may not realize that Lexus covers the first replacement out of sheer ignorance, but them wanting to make money doesn't have anything to do with it. The dealership gets paid to do the key replacement all the same, they just charge Lexus for it instead of you. Thats how warranty work gets billed.

ttt

Hi Guys,

My wife lost her master key and I'm looking at E-bay keys. I don't want to pay another $175+ for a Lexus OEM master key that may be no better than keys found on E-bay. What do you guys think about this key?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNCUT-98-99...1QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone know more about the one-time courtesy replacement of the keys and ECU at no cost?

I recently purchased a LS400 from a dealer and went back to them in regards to this because I have run into trouble with my keys.

I mentioned this courtesy replacement right off the bat. They called me today and tried pawning me off on some sublet repair place (run out of a private residence, mind you.) and want me to pay $180.00 just to have the ECU reset, :( which they told me they could not do in the first place, as they would have to replace the ECU because it is not re-flashable. <_<

Their reasoning on sending me out sublet is because they "do not have the equpiment to do the job ..." :censored: I find that hard to believe.

Any info/comments would be appreciated. Thanks. :cheers:

quote name='mmoazzam' date='Mar 20 2006, 12:05 PM' post='185390']

Yes, its true that new high security key system could cost you around $2000.00 if you lose the last master key. KEEP READING................because the ECU (control computer) must be replaced if you don't have the key.

This is my own experience, I bought the 2000 LS with no key (assuming it's no big deal) afraid of dealership costs I searched all over but no one was able to cut and program keys. Some locksmiths were asking $1300.00 to $1500.00 for reflashing my ECU. Then I started calling dealerships until I one dealer helped me out.

FACT#1: But Lexus does provide courtesy first time replacement of ECU and keys at no cost. This is Lexus policy. But some dealers wouldn't want to acknowledge it in order to make money. Keep calling your area Lexus dealers and talk to service reps.

FACT#2: The aftermarket remote keys are made better with sturdier and plastic shell than the OEM ones, told by my friendly dealer who recommended me to buy from outside for a max of $99.00 and I did.

Does anyone know more about the one-time courtesy replacement of the keys and ECU at no cost?

I recently purchased a LS400 from a dealer and went back to them in regards to this because I have run into trouble with my keys.

I mentioned this courtesy replacement right off the bat. They called me today and tried pawning me off on some sublet repair place (run out of a private residence, mind you.) and want me to pay $180.00 just to have the ECU reset, :( which they told me they could not do in the first place, as they would have to replace the ECU because it is not re-flashable. <_<

Their reasoning on sending me out sublet is because they "do not have the equpiment to do the job ..." :censored: I find that hard to believe.

Any info/comments would be appreciated. Thanks. :cheers:

quote name='mmoazzam' date='Mar 20 2006, 12:05 PM' post='185390']

Hey Bradicus, i too am in so. cal, also with a 92. What dealership told you this? Ive known people that have worked at crown in ontario,who have advised me never, ever to go there. But ive heard great things about longo in el monte, and no matter where i go be it beverly hills, the westside,newport beach etc, I ALWAYS see new lexus with paper longo tags on them.....f.w.i.w.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife reported that she had heard a discussion on a talk show about the cost of replacement keys for newer Japanese Luxury cars. The gist was that replacement keys for a Lexus (Accura, etc) ran between 2 and 4 thousand bucks. Reason given was the patent protected electronics involved.

1) True or false?

2) If ture, does that apply to my 2002 LS430?

I just got my first Lexus, 02 LS430, and it came with one original key. I'd like to get a couple of spares made and was looking on e-bay for the non-OEM as a couple of theads said that the plastic was better. My question is which key do I purchase? There seems to be a short and a long key. I don't want to make a mistake. Any suggestions? Also, any recommendations on non dealer Lexus service in the NYC area? It has 35K on it and I'd like to change all the fluids. Thank you.

• 3 months later...

What is an ECU? My wife lost the master key to her 2002 ES 300. Lexus told me that they would charge us $215.00 to replace. Our master key had the ability to lock/unlock doors and pop the trunk. Is this standard functions of master key? Should Lexus replace this master key as a one-time courtesy? We're definitely still covered under warranty.

Thanks.

Today just picked up a flat key for my LS and it was 75.00 for it.So i asked how much for a transponder key is and they said 320.00 for 1, over 600.00 for 3. plus 2 hrs labor to mary keys. but the kicker is old keys will not work because they have to re chip car to new keys and this is on a 93

What is an ECU? My wife lost the master key to her 2002 ES 300. Lexus told me that they would charge us $215.00 to replace. Our master key had the ability to lock/unlock doors and pop the trunk. Is this standard functions of master key? Should Lexus replace this master key as a one-time courtesy? We're definitely still covered under warranty.

Thanks.

The ECU is the engine control unit, it must be replaced (or reflashed) if all the master keys have been lost.

As for Lexus replacing the key for you, why would they replace a key you lost? If it broke or something that'd be one thing, but it can't possibly be Lexus' fault you lost it.

They will replace the ECU one time as a courtesy, which is something no other car company will do.

• 3 months later...

Today just picked up a flat key for my LS and it was 75.00 for it.So i asked how much for a transponder key is and they said 320.00 for 1, over 600.00 for 3. plus 2 hrs labor to mary keys. but the kicker is old keys will not work because they have to re chip car to new keys and this is on a 93

Basically just remember they Key itself is not truly part of the transponder. It's radio controlled unit from the black peice that can be cut off your key with an exacto nife and the key would still work in the door etc...

I have an older LS400 and most people discover from 90-95 the cheapest option is to simply go to car toys and get a better system put in place and just leave the remote switch OFF in your car. I heard one guy on another part of this forum I beleive say he spent 167 dollars at cartoys or similar stereo store and got Remote that not only unlocked his doors but was able to remote start and roll windows down. Much cheaper and more modern than the original Lexus Key FOB.

I have heard rumors of guys cutting the Key FOB off one unit and replacing it wit another if yo have the right FCC ID whic I never found and reprogram the unit which the programing only works if you have some pretty intense gear and an .... Engineering degree :0)

I was given a web site to replace vehicle keys with remote control, once you get into that web site, it ask you for year and make of vehicle and then model. another web site ask for vin # and make, to see if it has a remote for it. I am not sure if this forum allows me to put in this web site. Administrator please advise me. If so, I will give it to you. :whistles: