Satellite Radio Installed In Is250/350?

Just wondering if anyone has gotten satellite radio installed on their IS250/350 lately?

I got my IS250 two days ago, and they're going to put in the XM Radio on Tuesday. I read that so far, people have been getting the generic XM black antenna mounted on their trunk, but that a color-matched "fin" antenna is coming any time now...

Can anyone share any info? And / or pictures??

Thanks!

Mike

Just wondering if anyone has gotten satellite radio installed on their IS250/350 lately?

I got my IS250 two days ago, and they're going to put in the XM Radio on Tuesday. I read that so far, people have been getting the generic XM black antenna mounted on their trunk, but that a color-matched "fin" antenna is coming any time now...

Thanks!

Mike

OK, got my XM installed. Check out this picture to see the new antenna they used:

61234519-L.jpg

It's about a half-inch square... you can see the scale compared with the brake light and Lexus logo...

Interestingly, the installer glued the antenna down with something. I leased the car, but I don't think they can give me much trouble about it if they installed it, can they??

Mike

Looks like I'll just have to install my own...

I have been a Sirius subscriber for over 2 years now and I have done installations on 4 vehicles.

From personal experience, I can say that having the "antenna" receiver on the trunk lid does not offer the same level of reception as when it is installed on the roof.

I also dont like the idea of cementing it down.

Why isn't the antenna magnetic?

Also, why can't they seem to offer a color-coded antenna so it looks more like a factory install, and less like an afterthought?

Looks like I'll just have to install my own...

I have been a Sirius subscriber for over 2 years now and I have done installations on 4 vehicles.

From personal experience, I can say that having the "antenna" receiver on the trunk lid does not offer the same level of reception as when it is installed on the roof.

I also don't like the idea of cementing it down.

Why isn't the antenna magnetic?

Also, why can't they seem to offer a color-coded antenna so it looks more like a factory install, and less like an afterthought?

To answer in order:

- Sirius subscriber? I'm sorry... :P I was, will not be again...

- My last car had the antenna on the trunk with no issues at all. This antenna is (obviously) on the trunk, and I've seen no sign it will be any different...

- On my last car, it was magnetic, and it screwed up the finish. The magnetic antennas *do* slide around, and it scrapes up the finish badly.

- Lexus is supposedly coming out with one (I think I heard summertime). I couldn't wait for summer to get my XM back! :D

Mike

I wonder why your magnet slipped around.... Mine has been on the roof of my Grand Cherokee for 2 years and it hasn't budged a bit...even through car washes.

I am also hoping for a color coded antenna and I'll most likely use my current system until Lexus makes this available, since my current system can be moved from car to car.

As for antenna placement, "Best Practice" is placement on the roof. Trunk lid or Dashboard placement is another option some people sometime use. The performance of placement will differ, depending on the model of the car and the system being used. My personel experience, I'm a roof guy. ;)

Also remember that XM and Sirius use different Sat systems.

The signal from XM comes in from more of a low angle, and Sirius comes in more from above.

This is why XM cuts out less when going under bridges or gas station roofs, and Sirius tends to cut out less when in the thick of the city.

This may also explain why your trunk placement works with XM better than it does me with Sirius.

XM vs Sirius... who cares, they're both fantastic.

There are 2 companies and both have pros and cons.

I've been there with XM, and now absolutely love Sirius in comparison.

You're happy with XM and that's cool too.

Bottom line, down with FM!

B)

I spoke with a friend at Lexus and the Sirius plug in for the IS should be available in June. I have the Plug n Play unit i took out of my acura but would rather have something more factory looking (if the price is right). I’m dieing here, cant wait to get my Sirius back. I’m a Sirius person, had it in my Acura for 6 months and loved it. My girl has XM in her new TL, its ok but no Sirius :)

• 3 weeks later...

I had mine installed last week, I've been w/ sirius for over a year and now im w/ XM, i like sirius a whole lot better. but i live in houston and theres a lot of trees in my area and a lot of roads and houses are under those tall trees. my xm tends to cut out in my neighborhood, that gets on my nerves b/c sirius never did that. i was bummed when they told me that IS350 is for XM only, i could've got sirius, but i did not want an external unit.

Thanks!

Mike

I just have xm installed last week I have them put the antenna on the lower back window on the black area just above the trunk lid. I like that location.

I just took delivery on my IS 250 yesterday and it had the XM pre-installed. The antenna is on the side of the trunk. When I installed it on my Mustang, I put it at the top in the middle of the trunk. Dunno why its on the side. Looks kinda odd.

I had mine installed last week, I've been w/ sirius for over a year and now im w/ XM, i like sirius a whole lot better. but i live in houston and theres a lot of trees in my area and a lot of roads and houses are under those tall trees. my xm tends to cut out in my neighborhood, that gets on my nerves b/c sirius never did that. i was bummed when they told me that IS350 is for XM only, i could've got sirius, but i did not want an external unit.

you didnt have to get xm. lexus will have the sirius unit available for the IS in june.