Best Way To Setup Ipod In Is 250/350

Soorg. I don't have an Ipod, but have tried my PDA (HP 4700) and all works fine. Used a standard stero headphone type jack from the PDA to the connection in the IS250. You should fine these cables at your local "chain" electronics store.

Soorg. I don't have an Ipod, but have tried my PDA (HP 4700) and all works fine. Used a standard stero headphone type jack from the PDA to the connection in the IS250. You should fine these cables at your local "chain" electronics store.

So all it is is a 2 sided headphone jack cable? I have a Treo 650 with all my MP3's on it so all i would need is that cable to be able to listen through the car? Thanks

A little confused here....if you hook an IPOD up to the input in the center console it sounds like crap with engine noise? I was hoping to avoid having to get some additional add-on hardware to filter out noise but will this be necessary? I am a big music fan so I all about clarity and wont be satisfied if there is a bunch of engine noise like you would get with an FM modulator. CD and DVD over the LEV sounded incredible...

I have hooked up my iRiver mp3 player and my PDA to the AUX jack. The sound quality is perfectly fine. I know that if you connect your player to the power jack at the same time (to charge) you get a ground loop and get very bad sound. You either need to not connect the power when listening or get a 12v car adapter for your player that also isolates.

There is another very nice solution for iPods:

http://www.vaistech.com/

This company sells a device that interfaces the iPod to the NAV screen. It does requires that you pull the entire NAV/Audio system so you can plug in their cable. Plus it's $300. But it is pretty slick.

A little confused here....if you hook an IPOD up to the input in the center console it sounds like crap with engine noise? I was hoping to avoid having to get some additional add-on hardware to filter out noise but will this be necessary? I am a big music fan so I all about clarity and wont be satisfied if there is a bunch of engine noise like you would get with an FM modulator. CD and DVD over the LEV sounded incredible...

I have hooked up my iRiver mp3 player and my PDA to the AUX jack. The sound quality is perfectly fine. I know that if you connect your player to the power jack at the same time (to charge) you get a ground loop and get very bad sound. You either need to not connect the power when listening or get a 12v car adapter for your player that also isolates.

There is another very nice solution for iPods:

http://www.vaistech.com/

This company sells a device that interfaces the iPod to the NAV screen. It does requires that you pull the entire NAV/Audio system so you can plug in their cable. Plus it's $300. But it is pretty slick.

If you're talking about a real iPod, not just an mp3 player, the best way to hood it up is to get a Belkin Auto Kit for iPod w/ Dock Connector for about 40 bucks. I bought it at Best Buy but they are in short supply. This unit connects to the dock connector of the iPod and has an amplifier built in so you can set the volume to whatever input level you want. I bought a cigarette lighter power splitter because the amplifier sticks up too high to close the console cover and clipped one of the power connectors off. I also bought a 1 foot mini to mini cord to connect the Belkin to the aux port. This setup has the huge advantage that it chargest the iPod while playing it and only has one connector going to the iPod from the bottom. Also, when you turn the car off the iPod stops playing so you can restart at that point when you get back in. All around, it works great. I leave it in the car all the time and just unplug the iPod when I want to take it with me.

If you're talking about a real iPod, not just an mp3 player, the best way to hood it up is to get a Belkin Auto Kit for iPod w/ Dock Connector for about 40 bucks. I bought it at Best Buy but they are in short supply. This unit connects to the dock connector of the iPod and has an amplifier built in so you can set the volume to whatever input level you want. I bought a cigarette lighter power splitter because the amplifier sticks up too high to close the console cover and clipped one of the power connectors off. I also bought a 1 foot mini to mini cord to connect the Belkin to the aux port. This setup has the huge advantage that it chargest the iPod while playing it and only has one connector going to the iPod from the bottom. Also, when you turn the car off the iPod stops playing so you can restart at that point when you get back in. All around, it works great. I leave it in the car all the time and just unplug the iPod when I want to take it with me.

I have the same exact hook up but it has a lot of engine noise like that.

If I connect it from reg' it doesnt have any engine noise.

Do you have this problem?

I have the same exact hook up but it has a lot of engine noise like that.

If I connect it from reg' it doesnt have any engine noise.

Do you have this problem?

Nope - mine's crystal clear. I don't know if it makes any difference but I have the Nav system. Maybe something is filtered better to not interfere with the Nav. I also found that the sound out of the dock connector is better than out of the headphone connector. I think it bypasses the amp in the iPod and that little amp doesn't have the umph to reproduce heavy bass lines without distortion, even through headphones.

Where do you get the mini to mini cord from? Apple?

I don't remember where I got it but you can get them at just about any electronics store - Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, etc. I got a short one to minimize the wires in the console. It probably also helps to reduce engine noise/interference as any wire in there will act as an antenna.

Where do you get the mini to mini cord from? Apple?

I don't remember where I got it but you can get them at just about any electronics store - Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, etc. I got a short one to minimize the wires in the console. It probably also helps to reduce engine noise/interference as any wire in there will act as an antenna.

What power splitter did you use? I just bought the Belkin adapter and took it apart to make it all fit, otherwise I can't close the cover. Works fine but looks terrible, and probably won't last! This application needs a really low profile cigarette power plug. Kind of a wonky design, but at least it is in there.

I'm not taking my car apart since it's a lease. However, I found a cleverly designed power plug at comp usa (I believe it's by Monster) that has a low profile design with the wire coming out the side of the adapter plug rather than the top so that I can easily close my console. It also has interchangeable tips so that I can charge a variety of electronic devices from cell phones to ipods to my rio carbon, etc.

I notice that when I charge my rio while it is playing, I get some kind of interference noise. I thought this was inherrent to the rio which has had feedback issues anyway due to the metal body and a flawed insulation issue at the headset plug. My daughter's ipod nano, on the other hand, sounds fantastic (except. of course, for the actual music itself, but that's a matter of taste).

I would like to be able to control it from the steering wheel buttons, but really, how big a deal is it to pick a playlist and head out?

Besides, the stereo will play mp3 cds. 6 of those loaded up is a lot of music, all at the control of your steering wheel buttons.

I'm not taking my car apart since it's a lease. However, I found a cleverly designed power plug at comp usa (I believe it's by Monster) that has a low profile design with the wire coming out the side of the adapter plug rather than the top so that I can easily close my console. It also has interchangeable tips so that I can charge a variety of electronic devices from cell phones to ipods to my rio carbon, etc.

I notice that when I charge my rio while it is playing, I get some kind of interference noise. I thought this was inherrent to the rio which has had feedback issues anyway due to the metal body and a flawed insulation issue at the headset plug. My daughter's ipod nano, on the other hand, sounds fantastic (except. of course, for the actual music itself, but that's a matter of taste).

I would like to be able to control it from the steering wheel buttons, but really, how big a deal is it to pick a playlist and head out?

Besides, the stereo will play mp3 cds. 6 of those loaded up is a lot of music, all at the control of your steering wheel buttons.

I am having the exact same problem with my full size Ipod. It plays fine thru the auxiliary input but when you power it thru the accessory plug next to the aux input in the armrest the noise thru the audio system is terrible. I am using a DLO Autopod Car Charger for Ipod that fits in the armrest that I purchased at Best Buy for about $20 bucks. I have a couple of different Ipod models, various mini to mini stereo connectors of differing quality and will report back in a day or two after I have done some tests.

But, I agree with your point about turning your playlists into CD's. About 18 songs/CD X 6 CD's will get you down the road. I thing the frustrating thing is, we all hope that Ipod integration would have been seamless by now.

But, I agree with your point about turning your playlists into CD's. About 18 songs/CD X 6 CD's will get you down the road. I thing the frustrating thing is, we all hope that Ipod integration would have been seamless by now.

Actually it is 150 songs X 6 CD's (you can play mp3's in your cd changer).

Why is there the engine noise when I connect the power to the IPOD?

When I connect it without charging it is fine but as soon as you connect the charger there is a horrible engine noise. why?

I bought a cigarette lighter power splitter because the amplifier sticks up too high to close the console cover and clipped one of the power connectors off.

I know... How they placed the outlet is kinda annoying. they should've make it face it sideways, not upwards.

where did you get the power splitter? Bestbuy? the power splitter didn't stick out too high, eh? I think some power splitters might.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the exact same problem with my full size Ipod. It plays fine thru the auxiliary input but when you power it thru the accessory plug next to the aux input in the armrest the noise thru the audio system is terrible. I am using a DLO Autopod Car Charger for Ipod that fits in the armrest that I purchased at Best Buy for about $20 bucks. I have a couple of different Ipod models, various mini to mini stereo connectors of differing quality and will report back in a day or two after I have done some tests.

What do you mean by full size ipod? So your saying there are half size, quarter size, etc. get my point?

• 4 weeks later...

First off, for my thoughts on the VAISTECH unit, see this post.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ndpost&p=193373

Bottom line - dont waste your $$.

As for the hum - tjp had it exactly right - its called a ground loop and caused by the fact that the thing receiving the power (in this case the iPod) is NOT grounded. The NAV unit has to be grounded, and hence no ground loop noise. The most striking thing is that this was NOT an oversight on Lexus' part - its right there in the manual!

"When using a portable audio device connected to the power outlet

Noise may occur during playback. Use the power source of the portable audio device"

What you need to do is buy one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-see-all-needs...pi-2062214.html

Its a ground loop isolator and its only $17 -> noise gone.

Now I just have to find a way to get under the console so I can hard wire that thing after it leaves the AUX port in the console and not inside, cause right now I have a tonne of wires chewing up the only real bit of useful storage space in the car!

Hope that helps.