Clunking Noise When Braking

skyview

Anyone know what would cause a clunking noise from the front end when braking hard? I just had the lower ball joints replaced which solved a clunking noise whenever I hit a bump.

The noise is only noticeable when I am going forward and hit brakes hard. Any ideas?

95 LS400 130K

Thanks

Sky, I agree with Blake....it's most likely your strut rod bushings going bad. If you look under your car, under the front tires, you'll see a thick guaged black steel rod coming from your lower control arm to the front of the car, with a big round connector at the front. Inside that connector is the rubber bushing which over time will tear and crack...... I got your PM....I'd check out Phil's Toy Store in Cary for help, they specialize in older lexus cars, ours especially! Do a google search for them, you'll find it.

Blake, got your pm too....but I'm too tired to reply tonight....had the second meeting with the preacher tonight...worn out! :cheers: I'll catch up to ya' tomorrow! ;)

had the second meeting with the preacher tonight...worn out! :cheers:

Gross!!! :P :lol: LMAO

:cheers:

Hahaha....your day will come too my friend! You think final exams are tough...wait until you're sitting in the preacher's personal office with your soon to be bride.....hoping it doesn't start raining frogs outside and the headless horsemen don't come knockin' on the door.. hahaha

Sky, quick question....have you changed your brake pads recently?

just what i was thinking? happened to me in the front. pass side brake pad were soo low the piston was pushed out pretty far and would "clunk" when engaged. changed pads and no noise!

good luck :cheers:

just what i was thinking? happened to me in the front. pass side brake pad were soo low the piston was pushed out pretty far and would "clunk" when engaged. changed pads and no noise!

good luck :cheers:

Same thing happened to me. Everytime I'd park the car I'd hear "Clunk Clunk" and also would hear it during low speed turns. It turned out to be the front brakes. If you do those, make sure you get the proper fitting kit from Lexus. They did that and presto no more noise!

-Sam

had the second meeting with the preacher tonight...worn out! :cheers:

Gross!!! :P :lol: LMAO

Hahaha....your day will come too my friend! You think final exams are tough...wait until you're sitting in the preacher's personal office with your soon to be bride.....hoping it doesn't start raining frogs outside and the headless horsemen don't come knockin' on the door.. hahaha

Front brakes have about 35K miles on them and about 50% of pad wear left.

The reason why I ask is because if you had recently replaced your front pads with non-oem pads, and did not use the fitment and shim kits, then they could bang around in the calipers....mine are doing it right now...waiting on my oem with all new shims and fitment kits to get here next week....

Blake is right, it's your front strut rods, or your lower control arm(s). How is your alignment holding? Are you getting any wandering around on the road?

The brakes certainly sound like a possibility too! It's easy to tell if the strut rods are bad because you can make them clunk on demand (just slam on the brakes when you are going more than 5mph, and if they are bad, they will make a loud clunk. Or you can get under the car and inspect them.).

• 10 years later...

REPOST FROM ANOTHER TOPIC!

I would like to make a substantial contribution to this and lots of other posts about mysterious clunks in LS400-LS430 vehicles.

As you all guys know there were numerous attempts to identify the actual location and cause for major clunk and squeaking sounds coming "Somewhere" from the wheel area. We have all went through replacing bunch of parts with no success to fix the problem.

I have to say that I finally found what is the most probably cause for these clunks. Go to your mechanics and replace front left wheel hub and front right wheel hub. You will be amazed how quiet your car becomes. It is really unbelievable how simple the problem was.