Popping In Dash

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that's the case, then why does my 2007 crack and pop like crazy? It drives my husband bonkers, thinking a huge rock just hit the windshield......

Anyways, I've complained enough about this topic.......

Update: Went back ... they said the popping in the dash is the amp shorting out (i'm not convinced) and they will swap out the amp.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Later

ive seen you guys complaining about this sound from your front windshields. so i logged into my dealership account while i was at work today and looked for the problem when i didnt have any cars to work on. anyways heres what i found. Hope it helps.

2006 Lexus IS 350 V6-3.5L (2GR-FSE)

Vehicle Level Technical Service Bulletins All Technical Service Bulletins Body - Upper/Lower Windshield Ticking Noise

Body - Upper/Lower Windshield Ticking Noise

Notes

NVH

NV005-06

REVISED

Title:

UPPER/LOWER WINDSHIELD

TICK NOISE

Models:

'03 - '07 Lexus

September 18, 2006

TSIB REVISION NOTICE :December 7, 2006: The GS 350 and LS 460 has been added to the Pin Locations table.

Previous versions of this TSIB should be discarded.

Introduction

If a creak, tick, or rattle noise is heard at the top or bottom of the windshield, the source of the noise may be the two windshield stoppers bonded to the top of the windshield or the windshield retainers bonded to the lower edge of the windshield. This bulletin provides the recommended repair procedure to eliminate these types of noises from the windshield area.

NOTE :Some vehicles have both stoppers and retainers while others may only have stoppers at the top of the windshield. Use the chart in this bulletin to determine the location of the windshield holding devices.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2003 - 2007 model year Lexus vehicles.

If you guys need anything else looked up, let me know. I dont work on lexus, but we sell and work on them at my work. I unfortunatly ended up on the dodge side of things, and have to deal with them all day.

4.0 LS TECH

I've two questions and would appreciate very much your honest answer:

1- Is this tick/rattle noise of the IS250/350 solvable?

2- Is not this car overpriced.

Thank you.

My '06 IS250 AWD continues to emanate dash rattles and sounds even after the supposed dealer fix (TSIB) mentioned earlier in this thread. How disappointing and embarassing for a $35k+ auto from a manufacturer whose reputation for quality is so highly touted. Lexus needs to genuinely address this problem and then recall the affected models if they truly care about the satisfaction of their customers. This and other niggling issues detract from an otherwise fine car,which in turn begs the question, is this car overpriced? It is if it does not meet the expectations of its owners. Would I buy this vehicle again knowing what I know now after 18 months of ownership? Maybe not.

4.0 LS TECH

I've two questions and would appreciate very much your honest answer:

1- Is this tick/rattle noise of the IS250/350 solvable?

2- Is not this car overpriced.

Thank you.

My '06 IS250 AWD continues to emanate dash rattles and sounds even after the supposed dealer fix (TSIB) mentioned earlier in this thread. How disappointing and embarassing for a $35k+ auto from a manufacturer whose reputation for quality is so highly touted. Lexus needs to genuinely address this problem and then recall the affected models if they truly care about the satisfaction of their customers. This and other niggling issues detract from an otherwise fine car,which in turn begs the question, is this car overpriced? It is if it does not meet the expectations of its owners. Would I buy this vehicle again knowing what I know now after 18 months of ownership? Maybe not.

We'll never see a recall on a rattle issue.We're lucky to see a TSB.

A recall lets everyone who watches the news nationwide that Lexus has a problem.Rattles,trans,brakes who cares.It's a recall.

Word of mouth hurts Lexus but a recall really kills the company.

I've been pretty lucky I guess.I have the popping sound at times but no other rattles or creaks that are big enough to bother me.

I Will post all images later tonight

Toyota Lexus Mercedes Diamler-Benz Chrysler Jeep Dodge

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference Component Search:

Conversion Calculator

2006 Lexus IS 350 V6-3.5L (2GR-FSE)

Vehicle Level Technical Service Bulletins Customer Interest Body - Upper/Lower Windshield Ticking Noise

Body - Upper/Lower Windshield Ticking Noise

Notes

NVH

NV005-06

REVISED

Title:

UPPER/LOWER WINDSHIELD

TICK NOISE

Models:

'03 - '07 Lexus

September 18, 2006

TSIB REVISION NOTICE :December 7, 2006: The GS 350 and LS 460 has been added to the Pin Locations table.

Previous versions of this TSIB should be discarded.

Introduction

If a creak, tick, or rattle noise is heard at the top or bottom of the windshield, the source of the noise may be the two windshield stoppers bonded to the top of the windshield or the windshield retainers bonded to the lower edge of the windshield. This bulletin provides the recommended repair procedure to eliminate these types of noises from the windshield area.

NOTE :Some vehicles have both stoppers and retainers while others may only have stoppers at the top of the windshield. Use the chart in this bulletin to determine the location of the windshield holding devices.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2003 - 2007 model year Lexus vehicles.

Image1

Required Tools & Material

Image2

Warranty Information

Applicable Warranty*:

This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Image3

Required SSTs

Image4

Pin Locations

Repair Procedure

Upper Windshield Glass Stoppers:

1. Remove both sun visors and both A-pillar garnishes, and then carefully lower the front of the headliner to gain access to the windshield stoppers (refer to the appropriate model year Repair Manual for the proper procedure).

NOTE :It is very important that the front of the headliner be lowered carefully and slowly. Applying too much downward force on the headliner will cause it to develop a permanent crease in the surface material.

The stoppers are located on the inside of the passenger compartment behind the windshield glass blackout section (near the top front edge of the metal roof opening). The stoppers are typically located 20 - 25 cm (7.9 - 9.8 in.) inboard of the top corners of the windshield glass.

Image5

2. Cut OFF the tip of the plastic stopper as shown in the illustration.

HINT:

It is sometimes necessary to bend the metal body tab down to gain access to the shaft of the stopper.

Image6

3. Once the tip of the stopper has been removed, use a screwdriver to open a gap between the roof panel and the remainder of the plastic windshield stopper.

4. Test drive vehicle prior to reassembly to confirm that the noise has been eliminated.

5. Reassemble the vehicle.

Lower Windshield Retainers:

image7

1. Carefully remove the plastic cowl cover at the base of the windshield and store it in a safe location for reinstallation later (refer to the appropriate model year Repair Manual for the proper procedure).

Image8

2. Locate the lower windshield retainers.

The retainers are typically located 140 - 200 mm (5.5 - 7.9 in.) inboard of the lower corners of the windshield. The flat portion of the retainer is adhered to the backside of the windshield with double-sided, foam-backed tape.

Image9

3. Use a "Mini" Hacksaw with a fine tooth 10-inch blade to cut OFF the pin portion of the glass retainer flush with the flat portion of the windshield retainer (diagram below shows the windshield retainer location to cut off the plastic pin).

4. Test drive the vehicle to confirm the elimination of the noise.

5. Reassemble the vehicle.

I Will post all images later tonight

4.0 LS TECH:

These TSIBs have been posted on at least two web sites for several months; so, there is no need to spend your time in copy n paste excercise.

Yea, i realized that. so i didnt put up the pics. it seemed like everyone was having trouble finding the tsb tho.

Dealer swapped out my amp saying it was shorting ... I told them i didnt think so because it would make the sound even with the radio off, so there technically should not be any power going to the amp, but i humored them and sure enough i was right ... popping is still there. I think i'll have them try the windshield TSB as a last resort. If it still happens after that i'll turn up the music and then sue lexus for bleeding ear-drums.

Dealer swapped out my amp saying it was shorting ... I told them i didnt think so because it would make the sound even with the radio off, so there technically should not be any power going to the amp, but i humored them and sure enough i was right ... popping is still there. I think i'll have them try the windshield TSB as a last resort. If it still happens after that i'll turn up the music and then sue lexus for bleeding ear-drums.

That's funny. The problem is you guys in Canada pay too much more money than here in the US for the same Intelligent Sport(IS) Pursuit of Perfection!

The issue is once the service tech takes the windshield apart from the vhichle the noise will increase__this is what happened with me. But if you got better tech. service over there I'll ship my IS to them to fix.

• 2 weeks later...

After driving with a tech for 30min ... he heard the popping and flipped how loud it was and it wasn't even the loudest I've heard, The dealer said they called Lexus and they said to removed my windshield and changed the molding which they did. Popping is still there....ARGHAGAHAH. I think its coming from the center console because when i push it and move it i hear the popping. As per another post in here someone mentioned it could also be something in the glove box. Guess I'm SOL.

• 6 months later...

That sound drives me insane! I have to turn up the radio to drown it out.

It is much worse when the car has sat in the sun over 75 degrees. I think it is the plastic around

the radio and dash. When I push on it the sound is very similar. I'm so disapointed, If it would have

done this during my test drive, I would have walked away.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow but I have a feeling they won't be able to do anything.

That sound drives me insane! I have to turn up the radio to drown it out.

It is much worse when the car has sat in the sun over 75 degrees. I think it is the plastic around

the radio and dash. When I push on it the sound is very similar. I'm so disapointed, If it would have

done this during my test drive, I would have walked away.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow but I have a feeling they won't be able to do anything.

Worst yet, my car is an '08, so you would think they would have fixed this problem after two years! This blows my mind with a company who is "in pursuit of perfection."

it seems I can replicate the sound 100% of the time by changing my A/C cold air path to blow onto my windshield ... after about a minute ....I guess the temperature of the dash changes enough and it will make the ticking noise..

as someone mentioned earlier in the post, it goes away when I press down on the area between the front center speaker grille and front air vent...

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Even in Belgium the IS 250 dashboard makes the famous popping sound when warming up. I am sure it comes from the central console and I can even feel it when it pops. I went through several forums, but cannot find exactly what to do about it. Several people say their dealer took care of it, but mine only knows the problem of the rattle of the windshield and not of the «popping». Can anyone tell me what my dealer should do? I read about using felt. If so, where should it be placed? Does the entire dash has to be removed or is removing and felting the central console the solution? Thanks.

On my '06 IS250, the felt was placed behind the dash, which means the dash needs to come out. Frankly, if my dash doesn't pop, I'll think something is wrong with my car. It popped yesterday like crazy, and scared the you-know-what outta me!

You got the what scared out of you? Is that what I saw on the freeway the other day? ;)

I know that the dash is quite a popper, that's for darn sure. Then, when you get a new windshield, you get even new noises to go with the popping!!!

It's a Lexus SYMPHONY I tell you!

Hopefully the newly acquired windshield noise will be rectified, and then we'll just have the solo popping.... :wacko:

• 1 month later...
You got the what scared out of you? Is that what I saw on the freeway the other day? ;)

I know that the dash is quite a popper, that's for darn sure. Then, when you get a new windshield, you get even new noises to go with the popping!!!

It's a Lexus SYMPHONY I tell you!

Hopefully the newly acquired windshield noise will be rectified, and then we'll just have the solo popping.... :wacko:

My girlfriend's 2008 IS 250 has the famous dash pop. We've both heard it several times. Any updates?

Thanks,

Joshua

• 4 weeks later...
I have come to actually enjoy my car. It just took me so long to get used to it after coming out of my BMW 325i. I now have owned my is250 since August and have 11,000 miles on it. Yes, I'm a mileage hog.

Anyways, anyone notice a popping noise coming out of their dash? It can be so loud that I think a rock is hitting my windshield. I've asked my tech about it, and don't really want to attempt to get into the dash for fear of it not getting put back together correctly........

Hi there,

I've had this problem with my IS 250 since I got it in 06'. My Lexus dealer in Canada has replaced the dash at least three times, and have acknowledged that it is a problem with the plastic pins which secure the underside of the dashboard to the base. Apparently, they have some new bulletin (at the beginning of Jan 09) from Lexus about the problem and will be supplying new "pin" replacements to fix the issue. This could be a load of (()&(&^* for all I know, but they were quite adamant that the problem will be remedied with these pins.

On another note, one thing you should also look out for which Lexus has also acknowleded to me are the rims on your car. My carwash guy noticed about 3 months ago that all the wheels were corroding beneath the paint, and had bubbles of corrosion everywhere. I took it to Lexus and they did admit they had a bulletin on that too. They resurfaced and repainted all four wheels.

I hope this helps.

Hi there!

I'm a brand new first time lexus owner.

I bought a used 2007 is250 rwd with the x2 package (gotta love the illuminated scuff plates).

I have had this problem too.

I live in Canada, and it's been a crazy winter.

I also park my car outside, so it's cold when I get in, I warm up the car and this popping noise is quite loud.

It's seems to be from the center console, and when I press on it when it's cold it seems to make the same noise. I'm very disappointed to hear that this maybe a widespread problem, even in non cold temperatures.

I've mentioned it to my dealer, and they told me the same thing as a lot of your reported. "we took out the dash, and re-insulated everything". Problem still persists tho, I was hoping it would go away with winter, but I suppose i should brace myself for this long term problem?

Other than this tho, I love my lexus.

I've got a new one. It's in the passenger door. I don't know if it's the speaker, or in the door, since I'm always driving the car. I'll have to take it in, and I'm sure the techs won't notice anything, cuz it won't do it when they have it......

I can just push the arrow button on my A/C, to warm up or cool off, and the dash will crack. Changing temps in the car, is what I say it is. That doesn't bother me as much since it's not a "consistent" rattle, meaning over and over and over and.......

Jay, let me know how you like the '09. I've been thinking about a new one, but with the economy going the way it is, have held off a little bit..........