Popping In Dash

Just last night on way home in IS 350, I had my daughter(in front seat) and two of her friends(in back seat), all 11 years old(DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING :-) ) and heard this popping sound that you mention that sounded like little rocks hitting on left side of car almost where the A/C vent is on the left. We were on back roads and no cars infront so I doubt it was little rocks/debris. It almost sounded like one of the girls was taking her fingernails and popping them with another fingernail in back seat. It only happened for about 15 secs then stopped. I didn't hear it on the way into work, so that's good, but now I read this thread and think there may be something to it.

I guess I just keep listening and try to figure it out if I hear it again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had heard this particular sound maybe 4 or 5 times total, and always while parked on a sunny day. I haven't heard it again for at least 4 months now. It just stopped happening for whatever reason.

Well, here I was thinking yesterday, when I read your post, that I hadn't heard it in a while, as well. Until I pulled my car out of the garage this morning and was letting it idle a little bit to warm up, then POP!! lol.....

I had heard this particular sound maybe 4 or 5 times total, and always while parked on a sunny day. I haven't heard it again for at least 4 months now. It just stopped happening for whatever reason.

Well, here I was thinking yesterday, when I read your post, that I hadn't heard it in a while, as well. Until I pulled my car out of the garage this morning and was letting it idle a little bit to warm up, then POP!! lol.....

It's really strange and doesn't happen often enough to try to find it. :(

Hey I went to the dealer to get my 10,000 mile service on my IS 350 done (Iam actually at the dealer right now) and I got done talking to the service tech and he told me that the TSB (service bulliten) posted above delt with rattling, he also said that it would be an hour and a half just to run a diagnostic and then another hour to fix the problem. He also made a point that this bulliten may not fix the problem....So I fiqured instead of waiting two and a half hours I could live with the simple pop. And if it makes it worse when they take the whole dash apart I would kick myself later....So I told him not to bother, he said he was just going to do the service and keep an eye out for anything and if they DO determine the problem they will let me know asnd fix it.....But I don't think two hours of my time, and the possibility that this won't even fix the problem and might actually make it worse is worth it.....Just thought I would share :D

I don't think I want anybody taking my dash apart, unless it's something really necessary like fixing the A/C or Radio, etc. I did the disassmble of the console on the IS300 and I can see where there are way too many opportunities to screw up on those kinds of jobs.

I don't think I want anybody taking my dash apart, unless it's something really necessary like fixing the A/C or Radio, etc. I did the disassmble of the console on the IS300 and I can see where there are way too many opportunities to screw up on those kinds of jobs.

My sentiments exactly!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

• 2 months later...

That popping is loud - my wife and I drove from Albany to Rochester, NY and back over the holiday and it happened coming and going. It startled my wife the first couple of times because she thought it was a stone hitting the windshield. I thought it may have been the effect of the heater on the cool vents but it still happened after the car was warm and driven a hundred miles or so. I don't think it's related to the rattle TSB - that's more for the creaking that occurs at the dashboard mating surfaces (cowl side attachment points).

My experience on a different car was that it was a windshield fitment issue, heat related as some have noted above. It stopped when I replaced a cracked windshield. As the "goop" that attaches the WS to the frame dries with age, the popping returns.

• 10 months later...
I get a pop on my IS 250 AWD 2007 all the time .... at least once or twice on my 30min drive home... Any Solutions found yet?

Brought my IS250 in for a few TSBs and for the popping sounds HRCS32a had it right. They told me they know about this and the would removed the dash and insulate. Note this takes a while so they can't do it same day.

• 4 weeks later...

If you think it's windshield related it might be addressed by this TSB: windshield ticking

Anyone ever get this fixed? I've been to the dealer twice with no luck.

On my '06, it was the dash, and I did the felt thing, and it worked. I've never had the windshield issue.

If you think it's windshield related it might be addressed by this TSB: windshield ticking

On my '06, it was the dash, and I did the felt thing, and it worked. I've never had the windshield issue.

I got the felt thing done twice and still get sporadic popping at least once or twice per drive (30 min) and sometime it scares the living !Removed! out of me because of how loud it is. I am so close to selling the car cause of it. Its so annoying on a car thats supposed to be the persuit of perfection.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the felt thing done twice and still get sporadic popping at least once or twice per drive (30 min) and sometime it scares the living !Removed! out of me because of how loud it is. I am so close to selling the car cause of it. Its so annoying on a car thats supposed to be the persuit of perfection.

anyone get this fixed yet?

I get a pop on my IS 250 AWD 2007 all the time .... at least once or twice on my 30min drive home... Any Solutions found yet?

Brought my IS250 in for a few TSBs and for the popping sounds HRCS32a had it right. They told me they know about this and the would removed the dash and insulate. Note this takes a while so they can't do it same day.

Popping is still there after 2 visits... This is getting so frustrating!!!

Popping is still there after 2 visits... This is getting so frustrating!!!

I just had the TSB done this week. No popping yesterday, but heard it today. I was surprised they even did the TSB, because it says it's for 2006 only, and cars produced after that date already have the deadening built into the dash.