Popping In Dash

I have come to actually enjoy my car. It just took me so long to get used to it after coming out of my BMW 325i. I now have owned my is250 since August and have 11,000 miles on it. Yes, I'm a mileage hog.

Anyways, anyone notice a popping noise coming out of their dash? It can be so loud that I think a rock is hitting my windshield. I've asked my tech about it, and don't really want to attempt to get into the dash for fear of it not getting put back together correctly........

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have come to actually enjoy my car. It just took me so long to get used to it after coming out of my BMW 325i. I now have owned my is250 since August and have 11,000 miles on it. Yes, I'm a mileage hog.

Anyways, anyone notice a popping noise coming out of their dash? It can be so loud that I think a rock is hitting my windshield. I've asked my tech about it, and don't really want to attempt to get into the dash for fear of it not getting put back together correctly........

If it's a common problem & you can live with it for a while,

it might be better to wait & see if a TSB comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a popping sound now because they took mine apart to fix rattles and buzzing sounds. It's better now but I'm going to take it back for the rattles again and the new popping sounds I'm getting. So far, I'm not impressed at all with the interior build quality of the car. I even hear intermittant rattles coming from my left door. I believe it's actually the window as I can press on it to make the rattling sound disappear. The problem with this rattling sound is getting the dealer to hear it as they usually only drive around the block. I need to get these guys into the car and drive around my area where the streets are not as good.

I guess I should have kept my cheaper car which didn't have the rattling sounds at all. These things just drive me up the wall for some reason. I do admit that I'm anal about these sounds.

What's worse is that I even hear sounds coming from the rear of the car as I drive up the driveway (squeeking sound) and also when I back in/out of a parking spot and have to turn my steering wheel quite a bit(clicking sound).

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, has anyone found a reason for that wierd poping sound coming from the dash board ( sounds like a rock hitting ) and has anyone found out how to use the IS 250/350 autolock feature? The sales rep said I could do it, but I still haven't fiqured it out, and I can't find anything in the manuel about it. Thanks, I appreciate your help!!!!!!!!!

Hi, has anyone found a reason for that wierd poping sound coming from the dash board ( sounds like a rock hitting ) and has anyone found out how to use the IS 250/350 autolock feature? The sales rep said I could do it, but I still haven't fiqured it out, and I can't find anything in the manuel about it. Thanks, I appreciate your help!!!!!!!!!

The only Autolock that I know of... is when you unlock the car... and if you dont open a door in 30 secs.... it autolocks back....

I just usally hit the botton on the door handle to lock the car....

As for the "poping" sound... I have not had this issue with mine...

Could it be a speaker? Does it happen all the time... or just now and then?

I've heard a sound that sounds like a pebble hitting the car. I've heard it maybe 5 times and always when I've been sitting in the car, parked, like at the grocery store for maybe half an hour. Sounds like the dash or maybe the roof.

Yea I knew about the 30 second lock feature, and yea I use the black button as well, or I just lock the car from the inside before I get out.

No I don't think that noise is coming from a speaker it sounds like a rock hitting the car ( a small pebble ) and I've noticed that others have had the same issue so I was just wondering if anyone knew why. It just happens randomly; most of the time Iam driving and u hear a quick pop, sometimes more than one. And Iam almost 100 percent positive the noise comes from the dash or some where around that area.

The only Autolock that I know of... is when you unlock the car... and if you dont open a door in 30 secs.... it autolocks back....

I just usally hit the botton on the door handle to lock the car....

As for the "poping" sound... I have not had this issue with mine...

Could it be a speaker? Does it happen all the time... or just now and then?

just went to lexus yesterday due to the second recall..had them fix the speaker grille on the dashboard..plastic was rattling ..evry now and then..loud...they put a new gasket in..fixed it nicely...maybe thats it for you too....dennis

The dealer can enable the autolock through the C-BEST settings. Ask them for a printout of all the things you can customize, there are a lot.

As for the popping, it may be plastic expanding and contracting if the dash material is warm and cold air is being routed through the A/C system etc.

:

Wait....What recall? :wacko:

just went to lexus yesterday due to the second recall..had them fix the speaker grille on the dashboard..plastic was rattling ..evry now and then..loud...they put a new gasket in..fixed it nicely...maybe thats it for you too....dennis

• 2 months later...

The dealer can enable the autolock through the C-BEST settings. Ask them for a printout of all the things you can customize, there are a lot.

My friend just went to the dealer to ask about the auto lock feature they had no idea what that was... Could someone verify the autolock through C-BEST?

My friend just went to the dealer to ask about the auto lock feature they had no idea what that was... Could someone verify the autolock through C-BEST?

I went to the dealer and asked to, the guy said it's actually not an option on the IS because if you leave the key in the car the car will unlock itself so you don't lock your keys in the car (it works I've tried it...With the spare around lol) and plus I haven't seen it advertised on the Lexus website where they tell all about the IS, but at least we still have that cool little button on the handle :D

I went to the dealer and asked to, the guy said it's actually not an option on the IS because if you leave the key in the car the car will unlock itself so you don't lock your keys in the car (it works I've tried it...With the spare around lol) and plus I haven't seen it advertised on the Lexus website where they tell all about the IS, but at least we still have that cool little button on the handle :D

Just to let y'all know, I accidentally left my key in the trunk, in my purse, and closed it. The car beeped at me and didn't lock. A great feature, I must say. And, boy, did I feel dumb!!!!

• 1 month later...

Can you provide more detail on the speaker grill recall? Mine is doing the same thing except it seems to be coming from the drivers side vent.

Ed

As for the popping, it may be plastic expanding and contracting if the dash material is warm and cold air is being routed through the A/C system etc.

Thanks, that makes sense. If I tun off the vent, the rattling disapears.

A week after we bought our 06 IS250 it was back in the shop with a rattle in the dash upper right vent. (Now remember that we have the steering wheel on the correct side i.e. the right hand side / right hand drive) Dealer ordered a new part, fitted it and all is now well, didnt say to much about what was the real problem.

Closing the boot made the muffler rattle - dealer fixed that as well

A week after we bought our 06 IS250 it was back in the shop with a rattle in the dash upper right vent. (Now remember that we have the steering wheel on the correct side i.e. the right hand side / right hand drive) Dealer ordered a new part, fitted it and all is now well, didnt say to much about what was the real problem.

Closing the boot made the muffler rattle - dealer fixed that as well

Thanks, I will call the dealer today.

• 1 month later...

I had been experiencing what this forum has described as rocks hitting the windshield and initially thought it was coming from the left A/C vent in the center stack. I was hearing a quick, annoying rattle when driving over rough road which was souring me on my first Lexus purchase. I had expected better sound insulation, and searched all of the Lexus owners' forums widely reading that other owners are having the same problem.

I eventually determined it was coming from below the fake speaker grille where the dashboard meets the base of the windshield, right in the center of the dash (pressing down on the speaker grille suppressed the rattle). I went so far as to pry the speaker grille off the dashboard, exposing the hole for the optional 14th speaker of the ML stereo system (which my IS does not have). This seemed to lessen the rattle, but still it persisted often enough to annoy me.

I reported this to Lexus at my 10K service appointment and the work order states that the "tech removed the dash to insulate as per Lexus" and applied TSB NV003-06 P/N-55345 30050. Apparently there is a technical service bulletin (TSB) on this problem that Lexus is aware of.

I am passing this along as a reference for others who may be experiencing the same problem I was experiencing for several months. Since this fix was performed, the dash seems really tight and insulated, and I'm not hearing the annoying rattle anymore.

I had been experiencing what this forum has described as rocks hitting the windshield and initially thought it was coming from the left A/C vent in the center stack. I was hearing a quick, annoying rattle when driving over rough road which was souring me on my first Lexus purchase. I had expected better sound insulation, and searched all of the Lexus owners' forums widely reading that other owners are having the same problem.

I eventually determined it was coming from below the fake speaker grille where the dashboard meets the base of the windshield, right in the center of the dash (pressing down on the speaker grille suppressed the rattle). I went so far as to pry the speaker grille off the dashboard, exposing the hole for the optional 14th speaker of the ML stereo system (which my IS does not have). This seemed to lessen the rattle, but still it persisted often enough to annoy me.

I reported this to Lexus at my 10K service appointment and the work order states that the "tech removed the dash to insulate as per Lexus" and applied TSB NV003-06 P/N-55345 30050. Apparently there is a technical service bulletin (TSB) on this problem that Lexus is aware of.

I am passing this along as a reference for others who may be experiencing the same problem I was experiencing for several months. Since this fix was performed, the dash seems really tight and insulated, and I'm not hearing the annoying rattle anymore.

Awesome info!

Interesting that the noise may be associated with the 14th speaker slot. I have the ML, and I've never heard the noise. I'm curious now, does anyone who has heard this noise have the ML?