Is250 Tire Noise

Allen,

I have the same exact set up. I think the tire is rather quiet. Is this your first time on low profile 18"?? There is not much sidewall there to absorb road noise....... keep the pressure up (35 front) (38 back) to keep from bending wheels on potholes.

High performance tires are going to be a little noisier than some others. Mine make more noise around 40-50 MPH on some road surfaces. You can get quieter tires, but you'll give up some grip and handling and speed capability. Tires are pretty specific, so to get one or two qualities you compromise on a couple of others.

Allen,

I have the same exact set up. I think the tire is rather quiet. Is this your first time on low profile 18"?? There is not much sidewall there to absorb road noise....... keep the pressure up (35 front) (38 back) to keep from bending wheels on potholes.

Toby:

Allen,

Toby:

Thanks. Yes, I think it is probably a case of me not being used to these tires.

• 6 months later...

Allen,

Toby:

Allen,

Toby:

Thanks. Yes, I think it is probably a case of me not being used to these tires.

One thing you might try is to have your tires Siped! This gives your tires more traction, reduces tire noise and increases the wear cycle as well. Les Swhawb does this and I had it done on my new 2007 IS250AWD 18 inch tires. It works good.

post-30255-1160026282_thumb.jpg

One thing you might try is to have your tires Siped! This gives your tires more traction, reduces tire noise and increases the wear cycle as well.

Having your tires siped will void the tire's warranty, and although there may be a slight increase in traction, it does not increase the wear cycle.

In fact, most people have found that it dramatically decreases the life of the tire.

I'm curious how this works out for you once you've got about 10-12,000 miles on them.

Keep us posted! :)

One thing you might try is to have your tires Siped! This gives your tires more traction, reduces tire noise and increases the wear cycle as well.

Having your tires siped will void the tire's warranty, and although there may be a slight increase in traction, it does not increase the wear cycle.

In fact, most people have found that it dramatically decreases the life of the tire.

I'm curious how this works out for you once you've got about 10-12,000 miles on them.

Hmmmm, I purchased the Tires and Wheels from the General Manager of Les Schawb Tire Company and they siped the tires. They gave me a guarantee with the tires for 45,000 miles and and if I have them rotate them every 5000 miles I get new tires if they don't last. They had the engineering manager from Toyo at the dealer he said that the siped tire wears much better as well.

I will keep you posted! .... Steve

Hmmmm, I purchased the Tires and Wheels from the General Manager of Les Schawb Tire Company and they siped the tires. They gave me a guarantee with the tires for 45,000 miles and and if I have them rotate them every 5000 miles I get new tires if they don't last. They had the engineering manager from Toyo at the dealer he said that the siped tire wears much better as well.

Funny how there's always 2 sides to something, huh?

Since you bought the tires from the same folks who siped them for you, I can understand the warranty, and for that, it sounds like a great deal.... considering the replacement guarantee and all.

And 45,000 miles on tires like those is a feat in itself.

Low profile 18" performance tires like those, you're lucky to get 15-20,000 miles anyway.

They must really be confident in the siped tires.

I hope they work out for you, sound like an awesome deal and warranty. :cheers:

But you do have to ask yourself something.

They had the engineering manager from Toyo at the dealer who said that the siped tire wears much better.

If the siped tires are so much better, why doesn't Toyo just supply them that way to begin with?

He's the engineer, so he should know, and should be making those calls.

Hmmm is right! :huh:

I will keep you posted! .... Steve

Yeah, Les Schwab is really into sipping. You'd think they invented it, from all the hype the put into it. I can confirm that they do gaurantee the tire after siping, and they claim that it doesn't reduce the expected mileage. I'm not sure how they can get more traction and the same wear, but they do back up their claims with a replacement gaurentee, so how can you pass that up?

Unfortunately, I sold my last car that had siped tires before they were worn much (had to buy my new baby), so I can't really say whether they wear faster or not.