Gx470 Front Turn Signal

Bob GX

My right front turn signal stopped working, and I found that the owner's maunaul doesn't have any instructions for bulb replacement (it does identify the bulb numbers). Here's what I learned:

- You can get to the back of the light assembly from either below, or above

- from below, it's a long reach to get to the light assembly, and hard to get a grip on the connectors.

- from above, you have to remove the black plastic trim that goes around the engine compartment. There are a lot of fasteners, but it's not hard. A small screwdriver to pry up the little button in the middle (it does not come all the way out), then take the entire fastener out. To replace, make sure the little button part is pulled up, put the fastener back in the hole, and push the button part back down. Really slick after you figure out the 1st one. Don't use force - if doing it right, it comes out pretty easily. Not all the fasteners are identical, but they are very similar. I took care to get the right type fastener back in each hole. One of them used a little screw in place of the button in the center.

- The local Toyota dealer carried the same bulb (the Lexus dealer is 50 miles from where I live)

- After checking to see that I could get to the assembly, and R&R the bulb, I put it back together to drive to the dealer to buy the replacement. bulb This made the turn signal start working again, so there must have been a loose connection in the back of the assembly - did not have to get the new bulb.

- The bulb was going to cost about $5 at Toyota - the local Checker Auto did not carry this type of bulb

Jst info in case someone is looking for info on how to get to the front light assembly.

Good to know! My turn signal went out too. Brought it to the dealer here and they said that I needed to leave it! I was not in a position to do so and drove away. The tech said the only way to get to it was from below and that is take a great deal of time.... Time=Money. I was wondering how that $5 bulb would turn into $100 repair

Now i can do it myself!

At least on the right side you can get to the light assembly from the bottom, but it's a long reach when you're lying on your back (dealers would have a lift, that should make it easier for them). I found it was easier for me to just remove the trim from around the engine compartment, and then the light assembly is right where you can get at it. A few extra minutes to R&R all those fasteners. Shouldn't require a dealer service visit just to change a light bulb - Lexus cars do have a lot of technology, but a light bulb is a light bulb!

• 1 month later...

Good to know! My turn signal went out too. Brought it to the dealer here and they said that I needed to leave it! I was not in a position to do so and drove away. The tech said the only way to get to it was from below and that is take a great deal of time.... Time=Money. I was wondering how that $5 bulb would turn into $100 repair

Now i can do it myself!

At least on the right side you can get to the light assembly from the bottom, but it's a long reach when you're lying on your back (dealers would have a lift, that should make it easier for them). I found it was easier for me to just remove the trim from around the engine compartment, and then the light assembly is right where you can get at it. A few extra minutes to R&R all those fasteners. Shouldn't require a dealer service visit just to change a light bulb - Lexus cars do have a lot of technology, but a light bulb is a light bulb!

Hey guys, both my signals went out, one right after the other and I had no problem reaching up from underneath. I'm surprised the bulbs didn't last any longer than they did.

Hey guys, both my signals went out, one right after the other and I had no problem reaching up from underneath. I'm surprised the bulbs didn't last any longer than they did.

I was able to remove the harness connection from the back of the bulb housing. But, can't seem to figure how to remove the bulb housing. I try twisting one way then the other, but don't want to break anything. Is there a clip to push or lift before the housing comes out ??

Any help will be Greatly appreciated.

~ Cap

Now i can do it myself!

One of my turn signal light also went out. I brought it back to the dealer and was told by the service manager that it's been a common problem with the GX's. They fixed it while I waited. There was no cost for the service.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
My right front turn signal stopped working, and I found that the owner's maunaul doesn't have any instructions for bulb replacement (it does identify the bulb numbers). Here's what I learned:

- from below, it's a long reach to get to the light assembly, and hard to get a grip on the connectors.

- from above, you have to remove the black plastic trim that goes around the engine compartment. There are a lot of fasteners, but it's not hard. A small screwdriver to pry up the little button in the middle (it does not come all the way out), then take the entire fastener out. To replace, make sure the little button part is pulled up, put the fastener back in the hole, and push the button part back down. Really slick after you figure out the 1st one. Don't use force - if doing it right, it comes out pretty easily. Not all the fasteners are identical, but they are very similar. I took care to get the right type fastener back in each hole. One of them used a little screw in place of the button in the center.

- The local Toyota dealer carried the same bulb (the Lexus dealer is 50 miles from where I live)

- After checking to see that I could get to the assembly, and R&R the bulb, I put it back together to drive to the dealer to buy the replacement. bulb This made the turn signal start working again, so there must have been a loose connection in the back of the assembly - did not have to get the new bulb.

- The bulb was going to cost about $5 at Toyota - the local Checker Auto did not carry this type of bulb

Jst info in case someone is looking for info on how to get to the front light assembly.

I found a turn signal light assembly replacement page just yesterday. It's one of the detailed DIYs that I found upon googling for 2 days.

I just changed the bulb on the left side. For those that haven't done it yet, it was definitely easier from underneath. By the way the bulb # is 1156NA, it cost me $3.29 at the parts store for 2 of them.

• 7 months later...

I found a turn signal light assembly replacement page just yesterday. It's one of the detailed DIYs that I found upon googling for 2 days.

I just changed the bulb on the left side. For those that haven't done it yet, it was definitely easier from underneath. By the way the bulb # is 1156NA, it cost me $3.29 at the parts store for 2 of them.

Thank you for the part number!!! I will now attempt from below for right-front turn signal.