Jdm Windom Headlights Input

Hi guys n gals. Bought a prime condition set of JDM headlights for my '96 ES300 off eBay, which arrived in just 4 business days from Japan to NC in perfect shape. Cool setup, with separate turn and parking lamps as the major variant from our domestic parts. Oh, the low beam is very flat 'z' cutoff ~ while high beams much more circular pattern than US spec lights (or so they seemed on my test ride tonight).

So, I installed them and found a problem. They flash on turn fast (even with new bulbs), acting like when you have the turn element on the bulb burned out. :cries: The JDM #194 turn signal lamps apparently have a different resistance spec than the US spec #1157's. Is there another lamp that I can replace them with to fool the logic circuit? Anyone having some thoughts on how to slow them down, I appreciate your valuable input, as always ...

:cheers:

Check the resistance of the JDM #194 bulb and also the 1157 bulb and then calculate the difference. You can then purchase these resistors at an electronic store like Radio Shack. Put them in series in the line. This should correct the fast turning signal flashing. :)

another surprise you might find later on (if you don't already know) is that the JDM headlight assembly requires a 9006J low-beam bulb type. the typical US 9006 low-beam bulbs that you find in any autopart store will not fit in the JDM assembly due to different tab orientations and diameter differences of the mounts where the bulbs twist into the headlights.

just closely compare the JDM headlight assemblies to your USDM and their respective bulbs and you will see what i'm describing. sounds like you also receive bulbs with the JDM headlights. i cant remember.. the 9005 hi-beam bulbs may be in the same situation (i bought a set of JDM's off ebay also awhile back).

You need to use a 1156 bulb with only a single filament as the 1157 bulb is making the wrong one work.

You can also make the 1157 bulb fit differently to light up the brighter filament.

What you need to do is turn the bulb and push it back in so it fits but it will be a very tight fit.

another surprise you might find later on (if you don't already know) is that the JDM headlight assembly requires a 9006J low-beam bulb type. the typical US 9006 low-beam bulbs that you find in any autopart store will not fit in the JDM assembly due to different tab orientations and diameter differences of the mounts where the bulbs twist into the headlights.

just closely compare the JDM headlight assemblies to your USDM and their respective bulbs and you will see what i'm describing. sounds like you also receive bulbs with the JDM headlights. i cant remember.. the 9005 hi-beam bulbs may be in the same situation (i bought a set of JDM's off ebay also awhile back).

Khhoang,

Thanks for the input man, the 9006J bulb seems unavailable in US lamp sources, at least when I exhausted the google seach results. Do you have any suggestions for domestic sources? I like these lights, and know they'll pass any dimwitted auto inspector's (we have annual inspection in this state) scrutiny. Cutoff is better than US one, I actually like both the high and low better on these JDM's. How did you solve getting more bulbs, or are you just waiting for the inevitable and enjoying in the meantime? ;) Thanks for the assist, bud!