Wind Noise

maxx24

Anyone experiencing this problem?

On a 1994 lexus es300: driving with windows up, when I reach 35 mph I hear a distinct sound of rushing wind noise at the front door windows which increases on accelleration. It seems mostly concentrated near the mirrors. This noise is unusually loud and easily heard by passengers in the car. I don't feel any air rushing past the weatherseal into the car and the weatherseal is intact. Could the shape of the mirrors be forcing excess wind toward the windows? I'm wondering if this is typical of this model since it has no window frame or is there a way to fix this so I can have the quiet ride I was expecting from a lexus. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Maxx

On a 1994 lexus es300: driving with windows up, when I reach 35 mph I hear a distinct sound of rushing wind noise at the front door windows which increases on accelleration. It seems mostly concentrated near the mirrors. This noise is unusually loud and easily heard by passengers in the car. I don't feel any air rushing past the weatherseal into the car and the weatherseal is intact. Could the shape of the mirrors be forcing excess wind toward the windows? I'm wondering if this is typical of this model since it has no window frame or is there a way to fix this so I can have the quiet ride I was expecting from a lexus. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Maxx

My 95 does it too, and I do not feel any air sipping in. Its probably one of them Lexus flaws: bad aerodynamics.

welcome to Lexus! Serious here.

I think that's one of the quirks of all ES's from 1990 - 2001. ;)

:cheers:

Yup, $158 for a $5 piece of rubber...But it worked!

I'm figuring the 'piece of rubber' is a new weatherseal, if so, did you install it yourself?

I'm figuring the 'piece of rubber' is a new weatherseal, if so, did you install it yourself?

Yes installed myself. Took about 45 minutes and saved about $90 doing it myself.

Yes installed myself. Took about 45 minutes and saved about $90 doing it myself.

Where did you but the new weatherseal ??

• 9 months later...

It's not so much a bad design, it's just a "hardtop" design... no frames around the window. When you get up to speed, a lot of time because of the air slipping past the car you get a low pressure zone, and the inside of the is actually pressurized and pulls the windows out a little (Most old hardtop have a black plastic tab right at the arc across the roofline to keep the windows in as they were rolled up fully because of this reason... they've built them better where they don't do it as much.

Now, as to our rides, it's either compression set in the trim seal, or your window is slightly out of adjustment. I drove a '98 (when I was looking to purchase recently), and it did it profusely... my '95 that I purchased doesn't do it at all.

One thing I was thinking of doing was run a real thin bead of clear silicone down to the weatherstripping seal. Let it dry with the window down, and it should form a better seal, plus giving a little more thickness to seal against. it should be 'invisible' other than being a little darker and shinier due to the coating. It should stop/reduce the wind noise until you want to put out the money for new seals.

• 12 years later...