Towing Questions?

gr8smiles

I am about to trade my 04 GMC Denali for an 06 GX 470. My only concern is that I tow a Mastercraft X-Star Wakeboard boat several times a year. It weighs @ 4200, trailer is about 1200, and gas and gear is near 300.

Has anyone towed a large 23 ft boat with the GX? Any troubles?

The dealer will probably install the hitch since I cannot seem to find any Blizzard White with Navs. that have the hitch from Japan.

Thanks

Rick (about to be a member of the club soon....maybe..)

I am about to trade my 04 GMC Denali for an 06 GX 470. My only concern is that I tow a Mastercraft X-Star Wakeboard boat several times a year. It weighs @ 4200, trailer is about 1200, and gas and gear is near 300.

The dealer will probably install the hitch since I cannot seem to find any Blizzard White with Navs. that have the hitch from Japan.

Thanks

The tow hitch for the GX470 is never installed at the assembly plant in Tahara, Japan. Its either installed at the port of entry or at the dealership. No matter which place installs it, the hitch is the same. Well, that is as long as your dealer uses the official Lexus hitch and not some aftermarket one such as reese, curt, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks

With a factory Class IV hitch rated at 6500 lbs, you should have no problem towing the combined weight you are talking about. Here again is where the heaviness of the vehicle and the true truck frame pays off :whistles:

[quote

Thanks

The hitch for the GX is installed at the port or the dealership. Never in Japan. Same thing with the rear spoiler, floor mats, owners manuals and even the window sticker is printed out at the port.

• 1 month later...

Thanks

I tow a two-horse trailer with my GX about twice a week. Unfortunately it causes a vibration and front end shimmy above 55 mph that was not the case with my previous tow vehicle, a K2500 Suburban. With the Suburban, I could tow on the interstate comfortably at 70-75 mph. With the Lexus, I have to stay below 55mph.

I tow a two-horse trailer with my GX about twice a week. Unfortunately it causes a vibration and front end shimmy above 55 mph that was not the case with my previous tow vehicle, a K2500 Suburban. With the Suburban, I could tow on the interstate comfortably at 70-75 mph. With the Lexus, I have to stay below 55mph.

I've towed a lot of different loads with a lot of different vehicles. The chassis of the GX should be rathe stable up to it's limit.

If you get a shimmy, I would check your alignment, and also make sure the tongue weight of the trailer is within range of where it should be.

• 3 months later...

I know that this is an older post, but I've been doing a fair bit of towing with my '03 GX lately, and I must say that it has exceeeded my expectations!

First, I moved my girlfriend up to Michigan from Central Ohio and used a fully-enclosed twin axle trailer. Inside the trailer was the contents of a 1200 square foot townhome. No shimmy, no creaking. Only the sound of the auto leveling system every now and then when parked. Hell, the ride was so comfy that the cat didn't make a peep! We drove over 250 miles and I topped 80 mph on more than several occasions.

Secondly, I traded-in my old 17 foot boat for a new 24 foot Supra that weighs a little over 5k pounds. Suburban/Yukon/Expedition/F150/Ram drivers marvel at how well the GX handles the load! Where the GX really shines is turning radius; boat ramps are always almost pretty packed on weekends and the GX moves the boat as if it were half as long!

:cheers:

because I have an '03, I had minimal prep for towing, but with the help of Sewell Lexus and Hitchsource.com, I was able to get a Curt hitch, Lexus wiring harness and relays for about $300. When I get a chance, I'll outline how I did the relays, since that seems to be a common question for us '03 GX owners.

...Now if I can only find a set of GX Rims for the boat trailer and say with confidence that my 3rd driveshaft won't clunk.

post-7910-1157679948_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

jsantos615,

Do you get any trailer sway when towing the Supra? What speeds are you comfortable traveling at? I know we aren't supposed to exceed 55, but how does it handle in the 60-70 mph range? And how does it handle when you have to make minor adjustments at speed (e.g. to stay in your lane)?

I am considering a Mastercraft X-1/(X-2) with a tandem trailer. I am worried that the GX wont cut it. The boat at trailer will probably be about 500 lbs less than your Supra.

Do you have a weight distribution hitch? At what level do you set your ride control (sport . . . comfort)?

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

I have a 2003 GX and can't seem to get my boat trailer's lights to work properly. The car did not come with a towing package. I had to buy a towing hitch, a wiring harness that was ridiculously expensive and the towing relay. However, my boat trailer's brake and signal lights don't work. The trailer's running lights do work though. The dealership has been useless. They can't tell me whether I need additional relays to solve the problem. What relays do I exactly need to get my trailer's lights to work correctly and where do I install these relays? If I need additional relays, can somebody give me the part numbers for these relays? Please HELP!

• 1 month later...
I have a 2003 GX and can't seem to get my boat trailer's lights to work properly. The car did not come with a towing package. I had to buy a towing hitch, a wiring harness that was ridiculously expensive and the towing relay. However, my boat trailer's brake and signal lights don't work. The trailer's running lights do work though. The dealership has been useless. They can't tell me whether I need additional relays to solve the problem. What relays do I exactly need to get my trailer's lights to work correctly and where do I install these relays? If I need additional relays, can somebody give me the part numbers for these relays? Please HELP!

Hello -

I answered your question in your newer post . You need another relay behind your tail light.

I haven't been here in a while, sorry about the lack of reply on the mastercraft question. In a nut shell, 55 MPH is fine, no weight dist hitch. Haven't gone 70 for reasons of stopping on idiot-infested metro detroit highways

-Joe