Rock Chips And Scratches

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on which clearbra brand you use and the quality of the install. The alternative is a hood covered in chips...

I agree it hinges completely on the install. What I found is that the film itself, depending on what angle you look at the vehicle, makes the hood look as though it's two tone. Even some of the better clear bra shops admit it won't look factory. Not only that, it film does have UV protection qualities, which over time, will create a natural two tone look on your hood. In that case you'll always need to have a clear bra on, as it wouldn't make sense to pull it off 5 years down the road and have a two toned hood. Perhaps the factory can work on a better solution.

Personally, I'd like Lexus to look into better factory tint options on cars other than SUV's. I've never seen a factory tint option on the IS, ES, GS, SC, or the LS.

What is the thought of putting the bra on the hood? My husband seems to think he doesn't want it there, but just to put it on the front bumper......

Again, if you don't put it on the hood, the money spent to put it everywhere else is wasted.

I agree. He just doesn't want to deal with the waxing of the hood around the clear bra. And as stated above, that is the reason, also, that he doesn't want to deal with it. He's seen the clear bra on some real high-end cars and really doesn't like the differential it causes in the hood of the car.......

I agree it hinges completely on the install. What I found is that the film itself, depending on what angle you look at the vehicle, makes the hood look as though it's two tone. Even some of the better clear bra shops admit it won't look factory. Not only that, it film does have UV protection qualities, which over time, will create a natural two tone look on your hood. In that case you'll always need to have a clear bra on, as it wouldn't make sense to pull it off 5 years down the road and have a two toned hood. Perhaps the factory can work on a better solution.

Where are you getting this information because its complely incorrect. The product has properties to resist yellowing, but assuming that the paint is properly waxed its not enough to stop any kind of paint fading. Besides with the better UV treated clearcoat paint doesn't fade like it used to.

I've seen dozens of cars with these clearbras, and they never look two toned.

Personally, I'd like Lexus to look into better factory tint options on cars other than SUV's. I've never seen a factory tint option on the IS, ES, GS, SC, or the LS.

Actually all Lexus vehicles windows are tinted at the factory to a hue that matches the exterior color, as are most other cars made today. the reason that carmakers don't offer factory tint options is that the laws vary greatly from state to state and country to country. It wouldn't be possible for them to create windows tinted in enough different variations to comply with state regulations (factory tinted windows are not film, they are actually tinted glass) to provide these options. Anyways there'd be no point, the aftermarket provides any kind of tint you might want in varying quality at a reasonable cost. No carmaker I am aware of offers factory tint options.

I agree. He just doesn't want to deal with the waxing of the hood around the clear bra. And as stated above, that is the reason, also, that he doesn't want to deal with it. He's seen the clear bra on some real high-end cars and really doesn't like the differential it causes in the hood of the car.......

Then I wouldn't waste your money on a clearbra. Its not worth it if you don't protect the whole nose of the car. If anything it'll look weirder because the hood will be covered in chips while the bumper won't be.

Where are you getting this information because its complely incorrect. The product has properties to resist yellowing, but assuming that the paint is properly waxed its not enough to stop any kind of paint fading. Besides with the better UV treated clearcoat paint doesn't fade like it used to.

I've seen dozens of cars with these clearbras, and they never look two toned.

I understand your point and agree to an extent. The reality is it's a film and no matter what what other shops say, or even what 3M or other vendors say, it'll fade over time. The only way to ensure a minimal fade is to keep it out of the sun and in the garage. I agree the technology is improving, but the product will break down over time, assuming a normal life cycle of vehicle usage.

Actually all Lexus vehicles windows are tinted at the factory to a hue that matches the exterior color, as are most other cars made today. the reason that carmakers don't offer factory tint options is that the laws vary greatly from state to state and country to country. It wouldn't be possible for them to create windows tinted in enough different variations to comply with state regulations (factory tinted windows are not film, they are actually tinted glass) to provide these options. Anyways there'd be no point, the aftermarket provides any kind of tint you might want in varying quality at a reasonable cost. No carmaker I am aware of offers factory tint options.

Interesting point. Although Lexus doesn't have it as an option in the US, they do offer factory tint options in Japan, as all vehicles sold there are custom ordered and not pre-selected by a sales office or by a dealer, in the case of cars sold in the US. I was specifically pointing out that the GX and RX do come with factory tint which has a much more pronounced shade and I don't believe it's film. Maybe you can correct me on this. If I'm correct, then it would be nice to allow someone to special order a vehicle (non-RX or GX) with the same level of tinted glass or whatever the customer chooses. I just saw a friend's Ford truck the other day and even "F" has tinted glass as a factory installed option. One of my other buddies has a 325 he bought last year and that came with a factory installed tinted glass option. Granted it wasn't a 5% or 15% level of shading, but it was definitely more than what non-SUV's in the Lexus line get. Hopefully I was a bit more clear.

Then I wouldn't waste your money on a clearbra. Its not worth it if you don't protect the whole nose of the car. If anything it'll look weirder because the hood will be covered in chips while the bumper won't be.

My point is even if you wax around the clear bra, the fade rate will be different between the areas covered by the bra and not. I don't think anyone can say it'll fade at the same rate - that's impossible. Therefore, other time, the variance will only increase. Besides, is the Lexus paint that bad to where you gotta fork out $600+ to cover it up? Also, has anyone seen a clear bra install up close? Are you really happy with how shops either tuck or don't tuck all the edges/corners? I personally haven't seen a clean job yet. I wouldn't want to spend 40k+ and get a half baked film put on. Again, maybe I'm too sensitive about this, but I have seen a ton of jobs and from 20 feet away it looks fine, but if you get up close, it's disappointing. Also, I'm very hands on with the car and do like to buff out just about anything, to get the right look, so seeing film cuts that aren't symmetrical between left/right sides of the fender, definitely bother me. Maybe others are different??

My point is even if you wax around the clear bra, the fade rate will be different between the areas covered by the bra and not. I don't think anyone can say it'll fade at the same rate - that's impossible. Therefore, other time, the variance will only increase. Besides, is the Lexus paint that bad to where you gotta fork out $600+ to cover it up? Also, has anyone seen a clear bra install up close? Are you really happy with how shops either tuck or don't tuck all the edges/corners? I personally haven't seen a clean job yet. I wouldn't want to spend 40k+ and get a half baked film put on. Again, maybe I'm too sensitive about this, but I have seen a ton of jobs and from 20 feet away it looks fine, but if you get up close, it's disappointing. Also, I'm very hands on with the car and do like to buff out just about anything, to get the right look, so seeing film cuts that aren't symmetrical between left/right sides of the fender, definitely bother me. Maybe others are different??

I've seen tons of them too (used to own a detailing business) and I absolutely have seen quality jobs that I would have done to my car. I'm pretty hands on too, and I detail all the time. Would I prefer no bra? Of course, but the chips bother me too. Its a question of which bothers you less. Its not anything specific to Lexus paint, its indicitive of todays automotive paint that yes, it is far less resistant to chipping than it used to be.

As far as paint fading, the bra has no UV inhibiting properties. How could it cause less paint fade? Do some reading on the subject, there are plenty of resources online. I have not read one assertion that it will cause differentials in paint fade.

Now a leather bra, that will DEFINATELY cause a paint fade differential. I'm sure they make one though.

Which is why I wished they made the leather bra. I now others disagree with me, but I keep that sucker clean, take it off in the rain, and I'd much rather have that than something I can't take off whenever I please.......

I saw an IS250 yesterday on the freeway with a leather mask on the front bumper. Now I'm in search!!!!!!

I bet Lexus has one

I'll give them a call, but they told me they weren't going to make one........

I just called Lexus, and they told me that Lexus doesn't make one. When I told him that I saw one on the road, the parts guy got very interested and said he would do research to find out where it came from.....

I just did a quick search and couldn't find anything. I wanna know where this person got it!!!!! :cries:

I called two dealers locally. They both tell me that Lexus doesn't make a clear bra for the IS250. I can't believe this. They don't make a leather one or a clear one.

So I got to this place that I've had tint my windows, and I know he does the clear bras. He can do it. For $1,800 to $2,500. What's up with that? I thought somebody said it was about $600 for the clear bra itself....WOW!!!!

So now I guess I just have to drive nicely and stay away from the never-ending rock trucks that drive the SoCal freeways right along with me 24/7???????? This kind of irks me that they don't even have a bra, at all, for my car............

Lexus installs one from the factory for the LS, maybe thats the only model they do it for. But Lexus gets someone else to install them if they dont come from the factory. I went to them and they said that someone in California comes up with the cut, they buy it and install it. $450(cnd)w/tax for my bumper, 16" of hood, front of the quarters and mirrors. $2500 is wayyyy too much, that should cover the whole car!

Lexus installs one from the factory for the LS, maybe thats the only model they do it for. But Lexus gets someone else to install them if they dont come from the factory. I went to them and they said that someone in California comes up with the cut, they buy it and install it. $450(cnd)w/tax for my bumper, 16" of hood, front of the quarters and mirrors. $2500 is wayyyy too much, that should cover the whole car!

I finally got a call back from the service part of the dealership. They charge around $1,200 to have someone come pick up the car from the dealership, then return it with the bra on it. I still think this is too much.........but it seems to be my only option right now.......

I called two dealers locally. They both tell me that Lexus doesn't make a clear bra for the IS250. I can't believe this. They don't make a leather one or a clear one.

So I got to this place that I've had tint my windows, and I know he does the clear bras. He can do it. For $1,800 to $2,500. What's up with that? I thought somebody said it was about $600 for the clear bra itself....WOW!!!!

So now I guess I just have to drive nicely and stay away from the never-ending rock trucks that drive the SoCal freeways right along with me 24/7???????? This kind of irks me that they don't even have a bra, at all, for my car............

Lexus doesn't make them, aftermarket installers do. $2500 is insane, you could repaint the whole front end two times for that, makes no sense. Keep shopping, find someplace that will do it for under a grand/

Our IS250 has the same problem with the paint and after 8 months of complaining back and forth with the dealer and 800-25-lexus they finally agreed on doing something about the paint. Though I have to mention that our car has two painting errors under the clear coat and by the gas tank lip the gasoline went through the clear coat and paint and gave a mis-colored paint.

After letters and a lot of complaints we still had no luck but after getting a second opinion from a different dealership we finally succeed in getting the issued addressed and the 800-25-lexus has been most helpful ever since we got the second opinion. The second dealer also pointed out that our car had more chips on the front than usual - based on miles etc.

We wash the car to avoid scrathes from carwashes. We do not drive every day and try to avoid roads with a lot of debris lie stones etc. Still though our 8 months IS250 looks like it been driven 2 years based on scrathes, chips... :(

The whole clear bra install should be no more than $700 for the whole front end. I've seen folks on this alias in LA say they got it for $450 - $600 and were happy with the results. Again, not sure how picky you are, but you may want to look at a few before deciding. It also depends on the color shade of your car. Again, I don't recommend it, as I think chips look better than a film peeling off the front end. Chips are natural, film peeling is definitely NOT. Besides, how long are you planning to keep the car?

The whole clear bra install should be no more than $700 for the whole front end. I've seen folks on this alias in LA say they got it for $450 - $600 and were happy with the results. Again, not sure how picky you are, but you may want to look at a few before deciding. It also depends on the color shade of your car. Again, I don't recommend it, as I think chips look better than a film peeling off the front end. Chips are natural, film peeling is definitely NOT. Besides, how long are you planning to keep the car?

Well, I kept my last IS for a year and a half, only bcz of the little problems I was having with it (my little drive-me-nuts problems). This new car is the silver color. I'm doing my best to not get behind any rock or dirt trucks, which is almost impossible on these freeways these days. I've decided not to get the clear bra done. I don't have the time to research out these people for the $600. My husband is of your opinion, that it shouldn't cost any more than that. He says I can get the front end repainted for that price, as well.

Lexus's price of $1,200 included the front bumper, the mirrors, and the hood, I believe........Anyways, onto keeping a clean, beautiful car!!!!!

Again, why do you assume the film will be peeling? Its guaranteed against peeling and if it ever does they'll replace it.

One argument against getting the front end repainted is that repaints are never of the same quality as OEM and that reduces the value of the car. Your choice, but with the modern paints no way I'd buy a car without one of these.

I just had the 3M clear bra installed on my hood, fenders, mirrors and headlights. It looks great on my smoky granite (dark gray) IS250. The dealer was asking $1000, so I called around to get some price quotes. I got it all done for about $300 with the name brand 3M kit by a guy named Dean who has his own business and does these full time. He's north of Seattle, but came all the way out to Issaquah for a reasonable travel charge to do mine.

I'd definitely recommend this route instaid of paying the dealer three times as much.

Here is the contact info for the guy who did mine:

Clear Statement

Everett, WA 98203

425-231-3749