Rear Oil Main Leak

mschluns

i am the second owner of a 2000 awd rx 300, right at the 70,000 mile mark the rear main started to drip, not much, but annoying. i called love lexus of st albans wv and they replaced the seal at no cost to me and gave me a loner car for 2 days. so i am pleased beond belief.

You are lucky. We are also 2nd owners. My wife and I own an RX300 '00 and during a routine oil chg it was brought to our attention that the rear main seal was leaking. A whopping $1800+ to fix. I called the customer service center at Lexus in CA, and I'm still waiting to hear back. We were both in shock and very disappointed when the service person told us about the seal. What kind of reliability trait is that, especially if @ 70k it would have fell under the warranty.

Regards,

JCMC

You are lucky. We are also 2nd owners. My wife and I own an RX300 '00 and during a routine oil chg it was brought to our attention that the rear main seal was leaking. A whopping $1800+ to fix. I called the customer service center at Lexus in CA, and I'm still waiting to hear back. We were both in shock and very disappointed when the service person told us about the seal. What kind of reliability trait is that, especially if @ 70k it would have fell under the warranty.

Regards,

JCMC

This is a common problem with the RX300 due to a faulty seal design. Lexus and Toyota have replaced zillions of these under warranty. The dealer that replaced the rear seal on my wife's 2000 RX300 [ 50.000 miles ] said that his " people " can do the job in 3 hours or less. Job usually costs about $700.00-800.00. Your dealer is typical; considers most Lexus owners to be easy suckers when it comes to service issues! Next time take it to a Toyota dealer for service problems that you can't solve.