Lexus Dealership

I sold a guy a house about 6 months ago, came into the open house and really liked it. Spent nearly an hour walking arounf and looking at everything. Nice older man, but very unkempt and simple looking and seemed quite "downwardly mobile. But, like I always do, I treated him like I do everyone and followed up with him the same. He called me a couple days later and said that he was interested in writing an offer on it, so I started asking some deeper questions, had he been pre-approved by a lender etc. His response was: "Oh, we were just going to pay in cash".

It was a $525,000 house.

And he did pay in cash...and he had plenty more... Most people would have ignored him and not followed up with him. Had I done that he probably wouldn't have called me to help him write the contract and I would have not only missed out on that commission, but one of the easiest transactions ever. I spent probably 4 hours on the whole thing, it settled in two weeks. You don't want to know how much I made per hour on that deal...

I've also dealt with people that wear armani suits and drive flashy cars only to have to work for 30 hours and use every trick in the book to get them approved for financing because of their complete lack of resources and terrible credit. And they're always the ones that are the least appreciative of your help.

I've also dealt with people that wear armani suits and drive flashy cars only to have to work for 30 hours and use every trick in the book to get them approved for financing because of their complete lack of resources and terrible credit. And they're always the ones that are the least appreciative of your help.

B)

That's how it is! It seems like people with bad credit want to take it out on you...they are mad because they missed payments or had late payments the mtg company won't lend them money. I have to talk to alot of the mtg companies that want to insure a $200,000 home for $350,000...these are mtg companies that are loaning people that have no credit or bad credit (in most cases) more money than the home is worth. They are taking out a loan and rolling all of the cost in...and most of the time these are the same people that you have problems with...get tax money back put it down on a car that will be gone in 3 months...can I pay weekly...well I get paid every 2 weeks, that's why I don't have it, what about my grace period!!!

My boss has a saying...

5% of your customers will give you 95% of your problems...if you try to replace that 5%...you will generate another 5%.

I guess the point is everyone that is doing business with you is a customer and should be treated like such!

It was a $525,000 house.

That was a nice commission check! And since it only took 4 hours still gave you time to sell another house that day! :cheers:

That's how it is! It seems like people with bad credit want to take it out on you...they are mad because they missed payments or had late payments the mtg company won't lend them money.

Its the feeling of entitlement that lead to their credit problems in the first place LOL

Well, I just got a call back Sharon, Internet Sales Manager, from Lexus Of Northboro.

She applogized for her salesperson, and although his name is not Andrew, she knows who he is.

(I could have sworn his name was Andrew, but he was very foreign and I must have heard his name wrong)

Anyway, she explained that she can get me a IS 250 AWD with Lux and Nav within 6-8 weeks, but she is not able to get me a Mark Levinson package at all. She said that Lexus currently has none in production for March, and most likely none in April. It could be a 4-5 month wait :angry:

Is the Mark Lev worth waiting for???

I also have to leave 3 color choices :blink:

Not sure if I like the sound of that.

I have an appointment at the end of the month to go in and test drive the IS.

She said that they ALWAYS have a car in stock just for testdrives, and she has no idea why I was told otherwise.

(Must have been the overalls and straw) LOL :D

She said that the IS is selling so well that she will not budge a penny below MSRP.... I'll go and drive her car and then make some calls. She said that she is the closest dealer for me and wants my business. Maybe if I find a deal elsewhere, they'll match it.

The saga continues!

Scott,

I went to Lexus in Danvers, MA , the salesman I dealt with is Tom Christopher. I went in, test drove the IS and they ended up having one which I pick up hopefully this week. Silver/Black Luxury Nav. I would recommend IRA Lexus, I dealt with IRA Dodge and both have been more than wonderful in the customer service category.

I know they had a silver/silver IS250AWD Luxury/Nav but they go quick. After everything and honesty from the sale people there, I chose to forgo the Mark Levinson stereo, the stock isn't far off if at all, the stock is made by Pioneer if I am not mistaken. Plus less of a wait time.

They are a very good dealership and seem to get more for stock then other dealers in MA, worth the trip for you.

Good luck! These cars are hott, I have been looking since Dec and didn't want to order, go test drive one, I went in for an SUV and fell in love with the IS, go figure!

Kerry Weadick

Scott,

I went to Lexus in Danvers, MA , the salesman I dealt with is Tom Christopher. I went in, test drove the IS and they ended up having one which I pick up hopefully this week. Silver/Black Luxury Nav. I would recommend IRA Lexus, I dealt with IRA Dodge and both have been more than wonderful in the customer service category.

I know they had a silver/silver IS250AWD Luxury/Nav but they go quick. After everything and honesty from the sale people there, I chose to forgo the Mark Levinson stereo, the stock isn't far off if at all, the stock is made by Pioneer if I am not mistaken. Plus less of a wait time.

They are a very good dealership and seem to get more for stock then other dealers in MA, worth the trip for you.

Good luck! These cars are hott, I have been looking since Dec and didn't want to order, go test drive one, I went in for an SUV and fell in love with the IS, go figure!

Kerry Weadick

Kerry,

Did they budge on price, or were you stuck paying MSRP?

Cherokee had luck in Springfield, offered $2,000 below MSRP. I was thinking of calling them after my testdrive in Northboro.

Thanks for the tip in Danvers!

Trust me, look around on that deal. On a new model like the IS the demand changes a LOT depending on where you go. For instance when we got our Prius the wait was 8 months here, 300 miles away in WV we waited 2 weeks. Still had to pay MSRP, but we didn't have to wait.

Shop around. That dealer will be just as happy to get your service business whether you buy it there or not. The Internet Sales manager is who to deal with though, when you call a dealer out of town ask for the Internet Sales manager.

Scott,

I did not pay MSRP for the IS250, without even discussing the trade the last amount I was offered was $1500 off. Now I still haven't picked up my vehicle because IRA Dodge is doing work on my vehicle before I can trade it in. It's a whole big mess of a story but I am so far more than impressed with IRA's quick response and stepping up to the plate in customer service. And trust me, I have been involved with customer service for years.

The salesman I suggested is someone I had worked with and the reason I suggested him is flat out because he is really nice and not one of those pushy salesman that make buying a car a stressful experience. His demeanor is very nice and he follows up when he says he's going to. As a 28 yr old woman, I can tell you, and it sucks trust me, I go into dealerships and they laugh at me and don't take me seriously. Not truely realizing I am more of a car fanatic then they are. You'd think they had a clue when I pulled up in an R/T 5.9L Durango that cost $37k when I bought it. I did my homework before I went in, check out Edmunds.com, and a few other websites off of that one. The salesman I dealt with spent alot of time with me the first night I went, he wasn't aggravated that I left without a deal after spending that amount of time with me, and you know what, that's a stand up person who deserves my business!

I would deal with the dealer that told te Cherokee $2000 off msrp over the phone. Unless once you get there they play a different tune, that has happened to me before!

Let me know what you get and if you do visit Danvers I hope that you get the service I have received so far!

Good Luck, sometimes I feel like buying a car is worse than buying and selling a house! LOL

I find this thread to be amazing. I bought my ls 430 ultra from lexus of northborough. elizabeth stevens was the lying c-word salesperson. air suspension had been repaired with no record given to me. [a part failed 1yr later thatleft the rear end suspended like a 60s dragster]. rear end had been hit. of course I wasnt told. park sensor in front damaged and I had pictures I took before I bought it and they said I was lying. the park distance control was turned off conveniently when I test drove it and took delivery. lexus corporate did nothing. the GM [named eric something or other] is an arrogant lying !Removed! too. if you deal with this dealership after reading this thread you deserve whatever happens to you.

insofar as balise lexus is concerned, the 2 grand off is legit. I got that and free xm radio in my deal for an is 350. why you wouldnt take that deal is beyond me. jesus.

when I test drove and then made my deal and then closed it today when the car came in I was wearing wind pants and a thick pullover casual shirt. you people who talk about appearance mattering have no clue what financial transactions are about. all that matters is that when its time for money to move the deal along you better have it. and dont bs when youre negotiating. yep MOST sales clowns are just that. but you should know that they dont think too highly of you either. one of the monthly car mags has a segment where a real salesman gives inside tips for BOTH sides of the deal. you guys who are whining are probably the guys who give the average customer a bad image ONCE THEY HIT THE LOT.

you dont have to believe what I am saying, thats your perogative. I will be DRIVING my new IS on wednesday. what will you be doing? my sales person is ed ladika. he is a good guy. 2000 off. how does that sound?

you people who talk about appearance mattering have no clue what financial transactions are about.

I've owned three businesses, one of which dealt in consulting with car dealerships, and currently broker millions of dollars worth of real estate a year. I've earned six figures since I was 19 and have never worked for anyone but myself. Negotiating is what I do for a living, and I make an extremely good one.

So, I'd think twice before telling me that I have no idea what financial transactions are about.

one of the monthly car mags has a segment where a real salesman gives inside tips for BOTH sides of the deal.

Don't need their tips, I could write a book about the subject on my own thanks.

you dont have to believe what I am saying, thats your perogative. I will be DRIVING my new IS on wednesday. what will you be doing? my sales person is ed ladika. he is a good guy. 2000 off. how does that sound?

Good luck, hope you don't get ramrodded like you did on that LS. Great job negotiating there. I bet they're still laughing about getting away with that.

You guys are too funny, But how true, Even when the sales hipes tell you this is the invoice price and we are taking a beating they are lying. We just bought a 2003 Toyota Sequoia for my daughter. got it for 25k out the door with 46k miles on it with all the bells and whistles, sunroof, electric seats, auto air system front and back, conveince package etc. nice vehicle, they showed me the invoice (ha ha) for 24k, what a bunch of bull crap. My daughter was pulling out one cold morning and I looked at her through the front windshield and saw this weird number on the upper right corner throught the frost. There is was, the real invoice price from a grease pencil marking that only the frost showed, Yup 16.8k dollars probably from a broker or wholesale. Yea they made at least 5 to 7 grand on the damn thing, and people want me to think they have integrety. What a bunch of bull. So there be it. Yes the car is a good deal for 25k but the dealer lost nothing, not even with the luousy 20 inch rims and new tires. Trust no car dealership, they dont send their sales people on incentive trips and live the big life for nothing. so if you can deal a few thousand off you deserve it and they are never going to cheat themselves. Enjoy......

Well your daughters purchase was used, the profit margins on used car sales are higher than new car sales because the dealership has more control over the wholesale price they pay for the vehicle because they take it in on trade, buy it from auction etc. Its less clear cut, and hence you have more unscrupulous figures selling used cars.

New car sales are not that way, the manufacturer sets the invoice for the particular vehicle, and that is the invoice on that vehicle. The variability comes with what charge they assess any particular dealership to keep the car on the lot and that has to do with the dealership and the salesperson's CSI rating. Some manufacturers allow a holdback to help alleviate the cost of carry, but usually the salesperson's commission doesn't include that. The salesperson gets a % of the total profit, that is the amount you pay over invoice usually, and that % is a point of negotiation when the salesperson is hired (more experience = higher %). They also sometimes get kickbacks for financing and selling add ons like paint protection etc.

As for salespeople "living the good life" thats something that people who don't truly understand sales, especially car sales, say. Salespeople tend to put on an aire of lavishness and success because they're motivated by money, but the picture really isn't so rosy.

These are the facts:

80% of all car salespeople NEVER make more than a minimum wage comparable income.

20% make $50k or less

10% make 50k+

Thats not so bad when you figure only 5% of the people in my particular field make 50k plus. 5% of the people do 95% of the business. And yet everyone thinks Real Estate Brokers are all lavishly wealthy. You know what the average yearly income of a real estate broker is? $18,000. I'd venture to say car salesman is around there too.

You can do well selling cars, as you can selling anything if you're good, but it is extraordinarily hard, takes extremely long and odd hours, and usually has a severely negative effect on the other areas of your life. What is doing well? Extremely few car salespeople make over $150k. I've met a couple that do about $200, but they're on higher line vehicles and work 70-100 hours a week. If you factor out 70 hrs per week for $50k you're looking at $13 per hour. Do you want to work like a dog and have no life for $13 an hour? Lets say they earn $100k, thats a very good income for a car salesperson, thats only $23 per hour and 70 hrs a week is a low estimate. And guess what? Typically you have to pay all your own expenses and there are not always any benefits involved.

Those are the facts. Think about that next time the salesman says they can't do a deal. Work to make a deal thats fair for everybody instead of trying to cheat the salesperson out of their livelyhood.

As for the dealership making 5-7 grand, so what if they did? Why begrudge them that? You got a good deal for the vehicle, you got a quality vehicle and a pleasant transaction. Why begrudge them their pay? Anyways you have no idea the costs of reconditioning and prepping the vehicle for sale or what the final wholesale cost was, the $16.8k figure may have just been a starting point for bidding, you don't know. And as for incentive trips? Does your company or line of work ever have a convention? Do they have christmas parties or things like that to treat their people to something special? Thats all these trips are, thanks for a job well done and an incentive to work hard. Lord, you sound like running a business with the goal of *GASP* MAKING MONEY is wrong! News for you, EVERY business exists soley to make money. Money's it baby. Thats why you work, thats why I work, thats why we all work. Money.

My issue is everyone always villifies car salespeople and salespeople in general, yes there are some extremely bad ones out there but most of them are just honest people trying to feed their families by transacting business fairly with you. Thats all.

I don't know what you do for a living Lenore, but lets say your boss brings you into his office tomorrow and says "Lenore, we love the work you're doing and you've worked really hard on this project. However, someone else has offered to take over your position now that you've done all the work and guess what, they can do it for less! You can stay as long as you agree to cut your pay 25%". Would you like that?

Well thats the exact same thing you're doing to a car salesperson after they've done all the legwork for you, spent time with you test driving cars and choosing colors, when you find a deal for $500 less on a car figuring $2,000 in dealership profit, from some salesperson and dealership that knows no work would be involved in closing the deal so of course they can do it for less. When he or his sales manager won't do it they've worked for free when the other guys make a killing for 20 minutes of paperwork. You're essentially holding them ransom, and for $500 on a $30,000 purchase! What is that to you? $0.50 a month?

But its okay, because the guy's just a car salesman. Happens all the time and its not the dealership of the salesman's fault, its the lousy consumer with no sense of ethics or loyalty. Those are the facts. Think about that next time the salesman says they can't do a deal. Work to make a deal thats fair for everybody instead of trying to cheat the salesperson out of their livelyhood.

• 10 months later...

You can put Johnson Lexus of Raleigh on the crap list now too. The used car department has lost my business for good. Short little man named Bob was rude to my wife and I, lied to us about a 03' MB C320 over the weekend, made us sit in his office "in the far back of the showroom" for 30 minutes before we even got to look at the car in general, was bossy on the test drive, stared at my wife, gave crap numbers on the trade in, and didn't even shake our hand when I told him "nope, that's not the car for us", as we left. He was one rude dude, and really P*ssed me off something fierce. And to boot, this fat little joker of putz ARGUED with me that the car was in perfect shape!! When clearly the rear rotors were warped, severly warped, parking light on the bumper was falling out, and RUST was bubbling up from under the paint on the tops of the doors, the lower bumper and the hood by the windshield wiper. Not to mention the funny little "tick" it had in the engine, super super super heavy steering and busted ashtray cover. Get this, the car was an 03' with only 16k miles. The sales lady on the phone said it was listed at 23,000, but was not a solid price, they were willing to negotiate. Salesman would NOT negotiate, cheaped the trade value on the Honda to an insulting level, and basically told me I didn't know what I was doing, and we don't need THAT kind of car. When I asked him if the car was from the North, he said "not to my knowledge"....aka...I am legally lying straight to your face. I could of punch that looser dead square in the face! I'm not a violent man at all, I avoid fights, haven't been in one since I ate the rear view mirror of a 78 camero when I lost a fight back in the 5th grade. But that man had me mad enough to deck him, espeically the way he was looking my wife up and down, AND HE KNEW I WAS WATCHING HIM!!!!

I don't know what's happened to that dealership, but I was SHOCKED by that experience! I was shocked at the car's quality, the pricing games, the attitudes of the sales force, and the overall rude experience. Definetly not the same place I bought my 95 from 3 years ago. Something changed, and I don't care to find out what..... I won't be buying my next Lexus from that dealership, that's for sure! I'll travel to Charlotte before that happens!

Call the sales manager, he'll want to know about that.

I would, but to be honest with you SWO, I've had to pound on that dealership one too many times over the years to get the kind of service one would expect from a Lexus dealership in general. I mean I nearly had to sue them to honor their 90 day / 3,000 warranty when I purchased the car for the engine computer, had to write several harsh emails to finally get a top mechanic to quit telling me my wobble problem was due to tire balancing. They have easily recouped their losses for the engine computer with all the tire balancings, alighments and such they charged me for during that 18 months of frustration. I just don't have the fight anymore to care. I've got the best mechanic there now, so that's all I really care about. They won't be getting my wife's next car purchase. After that experience, we've decided to go with an Infiniti G35 sedan, probably an 04'. Which they have up there, but refuse to deal with them for it, we'd rather keep looking. You would think they would understand that buying a car is a person's second biggest investment, next to buying a home, and to make your customer feel uneasy about making that purchase is just a recipe for failure.

Ugh...

I know the feeling.

I sent letters to my Lexus dealer and they invited me back and allowed me to test drive the car, but I was still very uneasy with my comfort level at that dealer.... and they continued to not listen to or care about my needs. The testdrive was also lousy and only lasted 5 minutes.

I had a similar experience at a Toyota dealership when looking at mini-vans.

I ended up telling the salesman to "Go to Hell" and that's not like me at all.

(note: not the same Toyota visit as mentioned in this post last May)

But, there are good stories as well.

Just this past Friday, I took the day off and visited an Infiniti dealer down in RI, and I was treated incredibly well. This has been my best experience with a dealership, right up there with my Acura dealer where we bought our 06 MDX.

My salesguy had me drive the 07 G35x, and told me where and how to drive the car.

I got to drive it through a parking lot covered in solid ice, got it up to 95 on the highway, cranked through some crazy winding exit ramps and got to see how it handled from 0-60 and 60-0.

Amazing test drive - lasted 50 minutes.

The car is amazing! :snoooorrrtttt:

During my entire visit, I was treated with respect and was never pressured or made to feel uncomfortable.

And by the way... Yes, I did wear jeans again and no, I was not profiled for doing so. :P

If my Lexus experience went that way last March, I'd most likely be driving an 06 IS now, and not shopping for G35s.

;)

I had a similar experience with Lexus of Northborough. It was my first trip to a Lexus dealership, and I explained that to the salesman. I was looking at an IS350, and they had a leftover 2006 IS350 in the showroom. I drove a sport mdel, didn't like the ride and asked about the display model. The general manager didn't want to give me a price on the car if I wasn't going to buy today!

Needless to say this was a big turnoff, and I then spoke to Ira Lexus in Manchester NH. What a difference! They were very easy to deal with, and gave me a very good price over the phone with very little back and forth. I ended up buying from them and getting a 2007 IS350 with NAV, luxury package with 18" wheels and summer performance tires, park assist, headlight washers, rear spoiler, and the acceessry package for $500 over invoice. They even got me the 17" lexus wheels and Michelin Pilot Alpin winter tires for cost.

It was the most pleasant car buying experience I have ever had, and I recommend this dealer to anyone in the area looking for a Lexus. My salesman, Doug Clifford was outstanding!

I have had the car for about two weeks now, and am very happy with it. I was not sure about going back to a rear wheel drive platform, but the four winter tires do an outstanding job.

I hope this information helps,

Pen