What To Do?

Well, I saw in the forums that to increase bass on my GS300 i should add an amp and a free air sub to replace the stock unit. What about changing the crappy amp thats stock as well? It sits behind the glovebox on the 2000 model. I was told that I could replace that as well and I would get a lot more power. I was also told that putting a free-air sub wouldnt sound as good as I think it would. It would need an enclosure. Any ideas? And can i put a 10" instead of the stock 8" sub?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

well, the person that said that a "free air" sub wouldn't sound as good as an enclosed unit is correct. You won't get that deep thump you're looking for, nor will it be "tight" base. A woofer needs to have a specific amount of air to move, and in a fairly sealed enclosure. (save for the possible 'port', if you choose to put one on the box.)

sorry but I don't know anything about the stock amps......

It depends on the type of bass you're looking for. A free air sub will give you a boomier type of sound. One that tends to resonate as the sound gets louder. An enclosed sub will give you much tighter bass. One that doesn't tend to resonate at louder volumes. This reiterates what sternern stated. Some people feel that an enclosed woofer gives a cleaner sound. You'll have to decide what you want. Also be aware that an enclosed sub in a sense is attempting to move air in a sealed box and as a result will require more power to get the same decibel level as an open air sub. Hope this helps.

:D :D :D BUMPING IN A LEXUS - i don't think so but it is up to you, there systems are part of the reason you have this type of car once you open up the car to aftermarket there always seems to be something else that happens???? mostly negative and then it will always cost more$$$$$

GOOD LUCK

i had an aftermarket sub and amp installed to add a little more to the low end. it sounds a hell of alot better and is just the right amount of bass for me. if you're looking for a big booming system however, then i suggest changing out your head unit and stock speakers as well, because the stock lex system is not going to do it for you. it actually caps low end frequencies at higher volume to save the speakers from blowing, so if you're trying to get alot of bass at high volume it ain't gonna happen.

so, you're saying that Lexus' stock system will filter out some lower frequencies/or the signal strength to the stock woofer as the volume is turned up?? Where would they do that at actually?

Depending upon how an aftermarket sub-woofer is hooked up, I would think that this may or may not be a problem.

I mean, if the car has a stock free-air unit, and someone want's to essentially take the wires and connect them to a new sub-woofer 'box', then it sounds like you're saying it won't put out what it should at higher volumes.

If that's the case, couldn't someone tap off the rear speakers to connect to a "line power" converter thing to an amp, and then that amp drives the rear speakers and woofer? Yes I'm a moron,....but a curious one.

If there is a "filter" somewhere, can it be bypassed? I was hoping of moving my existing 2 x10" w/amp setup into my car soon and will be facing all these same issues I presume.