Ps Pump And Alternator

Hi all,

The alternator is shot on my '92 SC400 (117K). My roommate, an aerospace undergrad, says the PS pump is leaking on it. However, he said the fluid level is pretty high. The car has been making a whining noise since November. We found a rebuilt alternator w. warranty for cheap. Is there any kind of shield that we could put over the alternator to protect it? Read: What is the cheapest way I can solve this problem?

Personal: I am a junior in systems engineering at the U of Illinois, and broke. I just want this car to run until I graduate and get a job (fingers crossed). I'd appreciate any advise.

Thanks,

Andrew

I made a shield to cover the top of the alternator using an empty half gallon jug of Chlorox. It's worked well to protect the alternator since last spring.

Monarch, I didn't know toyota/lexus stocked clorox jugs as a genuine recommended toyota mfg'd part. Wouldn't that be considered an aftermarket part ? :lol::lol:

Thanks monarch, I'll probably try that!

Anyone else with ideas, please post.

Thanks again,

Andrew

My '93 w/ only 37000 miles, SC400 also had the famous P/S Pump leak and alternator crap out syndrome.

I just recharged the battery daily. Called the local LEXUS dealer and he quoted me a price of $1,500.

Removing the pump is a b# :censored: $%h. A rebuilt DENSO was $220 and a rebuilt Pump may cost you $250 but

first time labor is quite a learning experience. Maybe a mechanic friend can install for a discount it would really be worthwhile.

Monarch, I didn't know toyota/lexus stocked clorox jugs as a genuine recommended toyota mfg'd part.
I used a chlorox bottle alternator cover as a temporary fix to buy me time while I learned over a period of monthôš@`ôžle on this fô~°) how to fix my PS system leaks.