Gx470 Problems - Is This Vehicle A Lemon?

Atlantaguy

Dear Mojo, Thanks for the info, I asked the dealer to check the cat converter because I get the biggest smell going up or down hills. They checked it and said no problem, it is a fuel problem. Where I live in a 20 mile radius I have Shell and Mobil. The dealer said they don't have this problem in CA because the gas is better refined....I don't live in CA. I live in VA!

I think, when I bought my GX, the salesman kept going on about how it was the Factory Reps vehicle(I took that to mean in good condition)that they already knew it had the smell problem. They changed the AC filter at 9k. The vehicle was bought at an auction in FL, when they cross state lines many laws don't apply. why did he have to make up lies?

I am going after Lexus, the dealer and the salesman for Fraud. I 've been through the 800 Lexus, the dealer and the regional manager and have gotten no where. Now it is my time to play ball. Look for lots of postings from my screen name.

• 1 year later...

The sulfur smell from the exhaust is caused by excessive sulfur in the gasoline you are buying. Try a different brand. Also complain to the oil company. If they have sold a fuel that does not meet Federal specifications, and your emissions control system (or vehicle) is compromised, they have to fix it.

Are you smelling the exhaust inside the vehicle? :o That is a no-no. :chairshot: How is exhaust getting in? :whistles: If the rear window is left open when driving, it will suck exhaust back inside the vehicle. :cheers:

The guys on the 4th geneation 4Runner site report that the thump you feel when the vehicle stops is the rear driveshaft/U-joints. Their remedy was to grease then well at each oil change. One guy reported his thumping eventually disappeared around 13K mi (he also greased the d-shaft every few K miles). LC's in the past (especially the LC80/LX450) have been famous for a thump (usually when starting from a dead stop) due to play in the U-joints/slack in the drivetrain. BTW, don't over grease the slip yoke. If you see it start to expand due to being full of grease, stop! Reason is, the slip yoke, once full of grease, can no longer slip (the driveshaft lengthens/shortens as the vehicle goes over bumps, comes to a dead stop, etc.), so the pressure is transferred to other drivetrain components like the transfer case and U-joints.

Keep in mind that the GX470 is really the Landcruiser Prado sold overseas, which is the top-selling 4WD truck sold in Australia and is used for hard-core offroading in the Outback. Hence, the rigid rear axle instead of independent rear suspension (like on the RX) vehicles, which perform poorly offroad. The rigid rear axle has superior articulation to ride over rocks, superior strength to independent suspensions, and can handle variable loads much better (like towing or carrying lots of gear in the rear of the vehicle). Oh, yeah, the point is a rigid axle requires a telescoping driveshaft (since the distance between the rear differential and transfer case changes as the rear suspension articulates), which can thump. It's exactly the same setup you see on commercial trucks, pickups, etc. My guess is softer springs allow the rear suspension to travel more during braking/acceleration to/from a stop, causing the driveshaft to contract/expand.

i haven't seen this thread before.

I have the same problems as ALL of you except sulfur (thank GOD!)

Now they have been fixed (except clunk, which comes back gradually) but all it needs is greasing (a hassle) but it''s worth it especially if your not trading in for a new one.

Besides, I like my color. Makes me feel special to have a UNIQUE color GX than all the new ones. Some other GX owners give me a second look because they are trying to think if SAND DOLLAR PEARL (pearlish white, available in the LX) was available when they were buying their GX! :whistles: ;)

They should be able to take care of most of the problems you mention.

Specifically, the thumping noise is a common problem that many owners have experienced. Mentioned it to my service manager last time I brought the car in and they replaced the rear driveshaft.

Right now they're chasing a light "gremlin" --- the tire pressure monitor light is on most of the time while the tires are at perfect pressure. Probably a faulty sensor.

It's not uncommon with cars being more complex today--and progressively relying more on electronics--that electrical glitches to sensors and failure of little motors would show up.

Lexus makes quality vehicles. Hang in there.

• 2 months later...
I purchased a new GX470 about 6 weeks ago and it has been riddled with problems. Currently the vehicle has been at the dealership for over a week and they have told me they have called a Lexus rep in to diagnose the cause of the problems. Has anyone else experienced this kind of trouble with a GX470? The vehicle only has 2,000 miles on it. I am ready to give it back to Lexus! Any suggestions?

Problems

1. Air compressor turns off when idling for a while at a red light. Dealership said Lexus just discovered this problem, but does not have a fix yet.

2. Audio system (Navigation with Mark Levinsion) works periodically. Most of the time the system will not come on, intensely loud electrical sounds come from the speakers. This even happens when the system is turned off! Dealership says they don't know what the problem is.

3. After the vehicle stops, the transmission has a delayed shift (or thump sound). Dealership thinks this is normal.

4. The driver's side outside mirror vibrates so bad at 65mph, you can’t see traffic.

5. When the audio system worked, the tweeter in the driver's door vibrates.

I took my GX470 in for a vibration in both front speakers. In my car it turned out to be items in the door storage pcokers that was causing the problem.

I purchased a new GX470 about 6 weeks ago and it has been riddled with problems. Currently the vehicle has been at the dealership for over a week and they have told me they have called a Lexus rep in to diagnose the cause of the problems. Has anyone else experienced this kind of trouble with a GX470? The vehicle only has 2,000 miles on it. I am ready to give it back to Lexus! Any suggestions?

Problems

1. Air compressor turns off when idling for a while at a red light. Dealership said Lexus just discovered this problem, but does not have a fix yet.

2. Audio system (Navigation with Mark Levinsion) works periodically. Most of the time the system will not come on, intensely loud electrical sounds come from the speakers. This even happens when the system is turned off! Dealership says they don't know what the problem is.

3. After the vehicle stops, the transmission has a delayed shift (or thump sound). Dealership thinks this is normal.

4. The driver's side outside mirror vibrates so bad at 65mph, you can’t see traffic.

5. When the audio system worked, the tweeter in the driver's door vibrates.

some of these postings make my nervous. I am an owner of the 1st generation GX470 and was the first customer to receive the GX470 at Prestige Lexus in NJ. I had 3 minor recall problems and the temp never seems to be right. At first, I thought too I may have a lemon but after reading some of these recent posts, I guess I may have gotten lucky.. so far. My wife barely drives it so can really say this car have avoided the problems others stated, but so far so good. Maybe Lexus was very careful with their first few 100 GX470 and got a bit lazy on the rest. This is my second lexus and it's been good so far, but the new GS430 made me wish I leased the GX.

Good luck all, if I run into any probs, I will post them here.

some of these postings make my nervous.  I am an owner of the 1st generation GX470 and was the first customer to receive the GX470 at Prestige Lexus in NJ.  I had 3 minor recall problems and the temp never seems to be right.  At first, I thought too I may have a lemon but after reading some of these recent posts, I guess I may have gotten lucky.. so far.  My wife barely drives it so can really say this car have avoided the problems others stated, but so far so good.  Maybe Lexus was very careful with their first few 100 GX470 and got a bit lazy on the rest.  This is my second lexus and it's been good so far, but the new GS430 made me wish I leased the GX.

Good luck all, if I run into any probs, I will post them here.

oh so you were part of the 3 recalls of the first BATCH (not 1st gen becuz everyone's still in first generation). Mine was also part of those 3 recalls and I bought mine in January 03. I still have some balance on that Lexus card they gave us. Except, only prob, I think i have to finish it up by december of this year (for me, the card expires in december 05). :huh:

I am an owner of the 1st generation GX470 and was the first customer to receive the GX470 at Prestige Lexus in NJ. 

wow, so you were one of the first huh. Wasn't that feeling so great. Mine was the 6th one at Fresno Lexus in CA and since Fresno is not a major city, seemed like I was the only one with a GX back in those times. All sorts of people, I remember, whether they were people at the fast food, ice cream store, off the streets, or people in your neighborhood that normally don't talk to you, were all checkin out my GX when it was new.

Well,

I'm a sucker for the 1st Gen models, did the same with my GS430 lease and the stereo was a pos... that was before they gave you the option to have navi and levinson combo. When I got mine, it was either Navi or the Mark L system.. the Nakamichi was terrible, just terrible for a lexus.

Still got full credit on my card, will use it for the exhaust tip and maybe a spoiler. Unless something bad happens before december, that's my near term plan.

Still got my fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...

My GX also has the 'thumping' noise/feel in the transmission/brakes/driveshaft? Actually, it started out as more of a 'skip' or 'hop' feeling in the brake pedal at about 5,000 miles. At 15,000 miles, it now feels like I'm being hit in the rear end when the brake is fully depressed. I've had it to the dealership 3 times for the same problem, only being able to duplicate it the last time. The service manager told me I was feeling the transmission downshift and it's normal. I've started to check message boards to see what others have to say, and see I'm not the only one with this problem. Does anyone know if the car actually moves when this happens? Being inside the car I can't tell if it actually moves or if it just feels like it does. It's very unnerving. Now at a light, I find myself stopping well behind the line as I feel like it might shoot me into the intersection or worse, run over a pedestrian. I recently had the air pressure sensing system malfunction and that's my next repair. Only 10 months old and I'm starting to really 'dislike' this vehicle.

GX 470 Technical Service Bulletins.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/74/03740614.html

you guys all must be inluky since i have not had any serious problems except for the csd player. i have a fully loaded GX (navi, dvd, camera, etc) the 6 disc cs player sometimes does not eject the cd. thats the only problem i have had. im thinking of puttin a lot of upgrades on it. maybe some chrome wheels, new tvs, and subs.