Over Driving Headlights

I find the low beam headlights are poor at speed. I am constantly overdriving them to the point of danger. I am forced to put high beams on constantly, to the annoyance of on coming drivers.

Lexus says the self leveling headlights are adjusted properly. On dimly lit highways I am unsure of whats in front.

Anyone else feel this is a problem?

Anyone add auxiliary lights?

Yes, I could slow down, but!!

others have reported the same feeling here and found that the beams are adjustable to a small degree. the left headlight is normally adjusted lower than the right one to minimize blinding oncoming traffic, however there are dealers out there that will adjust them higher to the satisfaction of most people.

others have reported the same feeling here and found that the beams are adjustable to a small degree. the left headlight is normally adjusted lower than the right one to minimize blinding oncoming traffic, however there are dealers out there that will adjust them higher to the satisfaction of most people.

Does anyone know how to adjust the headlights, that the dealer refuses to do??

yes, infact, i found it in the owners manual, in the electrical section. You have to use a screwdriver and twist two screws that will make it higher. lol. ill find the page right now *walks over to get manual* okay back, now im not stupid, i know i have a diff manual because i own a rx330, but its under the "electrical components" section titled checking the headlight aim

Ill type it out here:

1)park vehical on a level spot

2) the driver gets into the dirver's deat and puts the car in a state readying for a driving (with a full tank)

2) bound the vehical several times

3)turn the phillips head screwdriver to either direction in order to turn the vertical movement adjusting screw,(1)remembering the number of times you turn the screwdriver and the turning direction.

4) when turning the vertical movement adjusting bolt, turn the phillips head screwdriver (2) to the same direction as step 1. to calculate the correct number of turns, multiply the number of times you turned the screw driver in strep 3 by 1.25. turn the screw driver by this amount.

post-18355-1141796212_thumb.jpg

yes, infact, i found it in the owners manual, in the electrical section. You have to use a screwdriver and twist two screws that will make it higher. lol. ill find the page right now *walks over to get manual* okay back, now im not stupid, i know i have a diff manual because i own a rx330, but its under the "electrical components" section titled checking the headlight aim

Ill type it out here:

1)park vehical on a level spot

2) the driver gets into the dirver's deat and puts the car in a state readying for a driving (with a full tank)

2) bound the vehical several times

3)turn the phillips head screwdriver to either direction in order to turn the vertical movement adjusting screw,(1)remembering the number of times you turn the screwdriver and the turning direction.

4) when turning the vertical movement adjusting bolt, turn the phillips head screwdriver (2) to the same direction as step 1. to calculate the correct number of turns, multiply the number of times you turned the screw driver in strep 3 by 1.25. turn the screw driver by this amount.

MANUAL !, WHO READS THE MANUAL! Seriously, Thanks for the info, after talking to the Dealer, I had mistakenly thought that it was a computer only issue, Auto leveling regardless of headlight assembly position.

I do count on this forum!!!!!

• 1 year later...

Low beam headlights I agree are a danger. We live in the country where there is minimal ambient light from street lights or from homes along the street. The low beam goes out only 2 white lines on the center line and then there is this very dark curtain that curtails vision beyond this. Hitting a parked car, deer or a human is very likely beyond speeds of 35 miles/hour

We have had the car into service 3 times and even had the sensor sub assemble changed without improvement. Lexus service states that the system is working correctly. There must be a a way to reprogram the computer chip to lift this curtain so it extends down the highway. This is my third RX lexus. The other two had excellent illumination. Othere than this serious fault this is an excellet vehicle

Anyone know if Lexus is addressing this danger before a lawsuit takes place?

I see that GDixon has posted a possible answer. Will check this out.

Check out this tread for the RX headlight adjustment. There is a similar one on the IS forum. The computer input is adjustable. I haven't tried it yet but will soon.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=41386

I recently adjusted the crap out of my low beams, they are insane now, I should probably adjust them back down a bit as they are aimed a bit too high, although I want to test them out on the highway to see if they aim downward after I exceed speeds of 40 mph.

Hi,

IMHO, if you follow the adjustment instructions in the manual and set the headlights just a little higher (but of course not so high that they bother oncoming traffic unduly), the low beam headlights in the RX are quite good, although there are better systems around. It's really child's play to set the headlichts correctly, as all you need is a piece of level ground, a wall, and a screwdriver.

We often drive long (400 mi.) distances at night and at "European" speeds (up to 85 mph) and under these circumstances the conventional high beams are definitely underwhelming, especially coming from a vehicle with Bi-Xenon headlights. A very quick, easy, and not too expensive remedy for this exists on Ebay: Retrofit Xenon bulbs for the high beam lights. I know there might be some problems in this respect with your US DRL system, but it seems it can be disabled. The bulbs cost slightly more than 100 USD, are well made, fitting is a matter of a good half hour (100% Plug-and-Play), and the result is absolutely amazing.

There is a pictorial description of the operation here on the German LOC forum. Babelfishing should take care of most of the linguistic problems :cheers:

European Lexi do not have DRL's - and I wanted them on mine. In the end I succeeded, and am quite happy with the result.

Hi,

IMHO, if you follow the adjustment instructions in the manual and set the headlights just a little higher (but of course not so high that they bother oncoming traffic unduly), the low beam headlights in the RX are quite good, although there are better systems around. It's really child's play to set the headlichts correctly, as all you need is a piece of level ground, a wall, and a screwdriver.

We often drive long (400 mi.) distances at night and at "European" speeds (up to 85 mph) and under these circumstances the conventional high beams are definitely underwhelming, especially coming from a vehicle with Bi-Xenon headlights. A very quick, easy, and not too expensive remedy for this exists on Ebay: Retrofit Xenon bulbs for the high beam lights. I know there might be some problems in this respect with your US DRL system, but it seems it can be disabled. The bulbs cost slightly more than 100 USD, are well made, fitting is a matter of a good half hour (100% Plug-and-Play), and the result is absolutely amazing.

There is a pictorial description of the operation here on the German LOC forum. Babelfishing should take care of most of the linguistic problems :cheers:

European Lexi do not have DRL's - and I wanted them on mine. In the end I succeeded, and am quite happy with the result.

Wow, it's surprising to hear folks are not happy with the beams as they came set by the factory. We find ours to be quite bright, AND well adjusted ... even "at speed". Montana just enacted a state wide "speed limit" a couple years ago but before that, if you were out on the open road with safe dry conditions, you could be doing 100mph without fear of some air patrol dropping the dime on you. The beams always seemed to be more than adequate.

As for DLR's ?? I'm looking to get a nice bright replacement lamp for them some day, when time permits . . . maybe LED's. Much less of a power rob. With the help of kind and knowledgable folks here at lexusownersclub we were able to put a switch in line, so that the DLR's don't have to remain constantly "on" all the time. I prefer NOTHING to be draining the battery pack except the electric motors :P

Hi,

The problem is that some dealers/distributors tend to adjust the headlights very conservatively - and then you see too little.

Most of my mods actually reduce wattage draw. The hi-beam Xenons draw half of what the stock incandescent bulbs draw, with vastly improved output. The LED DRL's draw just 6W, which is negligible. I drive a lot in Italy where "lights on" is mandatory, and mainly fitted the DRL's in order not to have to switch the lights on manually.

I see we have the same vehicles, except that my wife's Prius is Barcelona Red :) . Over here, Xenon is regrettably not available for the Prius, so it was "xenonised" with a kit from the same source a couple weeks ago. Same improvement on low beam, a little less impressive on high beam - but still a lot better than stock.

We are very happy with our lights, especially during rare occasions when high-beam actuation is possible. Then again, we DO live near the big city, so driving on dimly-lit roads at high speeds is not an option.

Lexus - Overdriving the Headlights:

I contacted Lexus Corporate USA and they responded within 24 hours regarding the solution to these headlights which were very poor at regular beams -- as noted by others.

I was called by my dealership 48 hours later and was told that they had received about 8 pages of instructions. The car was brought to the dealership. One hour later we were told that the problem had been solved.

Last evening we had a chance to check out the correction. The LIGHTS ARE NOW GREAT. Oncoming drivers are NOT BLINDED by the correction and we can see the side of the road for people, parked cars or animals. The light extends down the road with great illumination.

Those of you who felt like I did that driving with regular lights outside of the city was very unsafe -- there is an answer.

Keep squeaking -- or contact Lexus Corporate USA. The response was great. I will buy another Lexus.