Steering Rack Solenoid

Car is 94 SC400, 100K miles.

The solenoid on the rack is quite difficult to access :cries: . I am looking to clean the filter / screen in there. There are several threads on the LS400 forum of why this is important after a PS rebuild / flush.

Has anyone done this on a 1st gen SC400? The hex nut on the solenoid is hard to reach: cant quite hit it with a screwdriver-hammer at the proper impact angle, and a channel lock wont reach in the cramped space.

I am doing a 100K maintenance on it: all the standard stuff first. Have had this car since 76K miles.

So:

a) any instructions or other pointers on cleaning this screen?

B) any other options to explore to flush out the screen or do as much cleaning of the PS system as possible without messing with the solenoid? I do plan to do a flush after I put the system back together.

c) should I just ignore the solenoid (though I suspect the screen is clogged given the PS fluid was filthy: I doubt previous owner did anything on this front). PS Pump had started to leak and got me going on this. And given other threads, a flush is only as good as the dirt left on the solenoid screen.

Thanx in advance for your help.

Someone pls help with this question..

and rtd111 you HAVE TO clean it.. i have been suffering of the PS steering problem for 2 years now. had the PS pump changed from the dealer 3 times, the dealer never heard of the solenoid screens even.. my steering is hard as a rock for the 4th time for last 3 months. i am looking to take it to a different shop this time and have them clean the solenoid.

the dealer suggested me to sell the car cause they replaced the PS pump every six months for 2 years and the problem comes back. they said gotta change steering rack-pinion PS pump again. btw, after a huge fight with 3 of the dealar those middle-man guys and a woman, they finally called "lex-tech" or whatever(thats what they said). apparently the lexus people higher up told them to flush with some special liquid and the dealer did that the 3rd time. 3rd time it took longer for the PS pump to go bad :) was good for about 6.5 - 7 months ;)

I have several post about this issue on this SC400 post and several kind hearted people responded, sent links, and pics. I have them printed out, and showed them to a local mechanic.. pls respond one more time with suggestions on how to get around the cramped area so i can try it myself or take it to the local mechanic person.

thanks and good luck to rtd111, hopefully you get it cleaned and never have this problem.

Too bad about your experience, harippa. I am sure you spent big bucks with the dealer, multiple times. I am curious: did YOU not simply ask them to clean the solenoid, no matter what THEIR recommendation is? I've had shops do what I tell them after they give me their caveats ( :censored: ). Arguably, they will want to remove the rack (and maybe just one side, which I am considering) to do this, but cost of that within the ballpark of the work you may have already done. Finally, rebuilt racks are available in the range of $250, which I have also considered.

Now to the general situation, how hard is it to remove the rack. Doesn't quite look to be hard, so my question should be how hard is it to put back? Any readjustments or auxilliary work needed when reinstalling? Any pointers to DIY instructions?

I know that the PS Fluid is quite bad and I am now inclined to not ignore cleaning the filter.