Rx300 2001 Radio Antenna

gs300_2000

Hello,

In girlfriend’s RX300 2001 we noticed that the radio antenna is damaged: the motor works and the radio does work as well, but the antenna itself has been bended and broken, the top now falls off if the radio is turned on and the antenna extends fully. The antenna will only collapse half way if the radio is turned off. We are not sure how this happened.

The question is two fold:

Will the dealer fix it? (2001 under 40K)

If not, where (and how much) is the best place to get the part and is there a step by step on how to replace it?

Thanks

I dont think you have to re-buy the motor itself, just the mast. So i think you can twist it right off and buy a new one and twist that one on. I highly doubt the dealer will fix it, its not their fault it broke, its probably your girlfriends. lol. Try the lexus dealer on online to get one.

I am sure it is the nylon inside the antenna what it is broken.

To change the antenna you need to follow a procedure. I will try to send you a copy of the repair manual explaing it.

just to encourage ya...

it is a very easy repair. i did it in 5 minutes for about 60 bucks for the mast. dealer wanted few hundie!

same mast is on many toyota cars as well.

my wife took ours through a carwash while listening to the radio. :(

just to encourage ya...

it is a very easy repair. i did it in 5 minutes for about 60 bucks for the mast. dealer wanted few hundie!

same mast is on many toyota cars as well.

my wife took ours through a carwash while listening to the radio. :(

Thanks for the encouragement!

It does appear not too complicated. Do you have any comments on this step by step guide, as applied to the RX300?

http://antennamastsrus.com/Nut%20Removal.htm

http://antennamastsrus.com/Instructions%20Mast.htm

http://antennamastsrus.com/

When you pull the old mast out note which way the teeth on the nylon strap are facing and make sure they go back facing the same way. The hardest thing for me was getting the new teeth to catch on the gear and start down. If you can kinda hold the nylon so the end is not curved to much it should start better.

Jeff

Interesting:

Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 5:49 PM

To: --

Subject: Re: Lexus RX300 antenna mast OEM vs. OE

Hi, I would suggest the 24.95 one. One is Genuine. We have had great success with the other one.

Thanks,

Kay

----- Original Message -----

To: info@antennamastsrus.com

Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 12:27 PM

Subject: Lexus RX300 antenna mast OEM vs. OE

Hello,

I need to replace antenna mast in 2001 Lexus RX300. The antenna motor is working.

The question that I have is, since OE costs twice as much as OEM – is there any real difference? I’d rather pay $25 then $50 for the part if they are identical.

Thanks