95 Brake Job

skyview

Greetings,

I am looking for a pdf that outlines how to replace front and rear brakes on a 95 LS including the brake sensors.

BTW, what is the part number and where to purchase the rear brake sensor?

Thanks In Advance!!!

sky:

The link above states for 90-94 LS. Are the procedures the same for a 95?

I dunno.............If you've done brakes before, you should have no problem. Mine's a '95......no brainer stuff. You might want to consider a caliper rebuild kit (new O-rings & rubber boots), it'll add about 15 minutes per wheel.....simple too. DO NOT FORGET to put the "little rubber dummy caps" back on the bleeder screws....helps prevent air leaks so the pistons will retract when you let your foot off the brake pedal.

What's the difference in a Brake Pad Sensor vs ABS sensor?

One is easy, the other is a PITA. Seriously, you will have a pad wear sensor on right front & right rear only. Unless a previous owner wore the brakes out, thereby trashing the wear sensor, it should be just fine. It sits in a slot in the brake pad. The little clip that holds it in the slot is on the delicate side, so be careful when removing it.

The ABS sensor is nowhere near (relatively speaking) the brake caliper. It is on the inboard side of the "knuckle" that has the wheel bearing mounted on/in it. It's way behind (again, relatively speaking) the wheel bearing. Do you have any reason to believe that there is something wrong with it? I think it's very unlikely that you have any problem with it. There was a post in the last couple of weeks that had a very nice pdf drawing of the entire front end. Let your fingers do the walking & do a search for "front wheel bearing", etc.

just changed brake pads and rotors on my 95 LS. procedure is pretty straightforward and you cant go wrong with it. make sure u get an oem pads and pay extra 60$ for front and rear shim kits. those kits will change ur braking experience! you cant install pads incorrectly since they are directional and can be installed only one way. you dont have any options:)

lemme know if u need help i will try to figure smth out.

Greetings,

I am looking for a pdf that outlines how to replace front and rear brakes on a 95 LS including the brake sensors.

Thanks In Advance!!!

I have a 98 so I assume they are identical. If not go with the 94 instructions. The front brakes in my opinion are the easiest in the world. So much that I actually enjoy changing them. Just remove the metal wiring holding the pins, then remove the pins (careful not to let the clamp holding the brakes in place fly out and hit you or cause injury). Then remove the brakes. The sensor is a little tricky as you have to work it's way out of the brake pad carefully so you don't damage it. Then just do a reverse process. I use long neck pliers to position the calipers. The rear brakes are similar to the post on lexls.com that was posted.

Greetings,

Thanks In Advance!!!

I have a 98 so I assume they are identical. If not go with the 94 instructions. The front brakes in my opinion are the easiest in the world. So much that I actually enjoy changing them. Just remove the metal wiring holding the pins, then remove the pins (careful not to let the clamp holding the brakes in place fly out and hit you or cause injury). Then remove the brakes. The sensor is a little tricky as you have to work it's way out of the brake pad carefully so you don't damage it. Then just do a reverse process. I use long neck pliers to position the calipers. The rear brakes are similar to the post on lexls.com that was posted.

A knowlegeable friend of mine is going to show how to replace the pads this weekend. I hope its as easy as everyone proclaims. BTW, I had the brakes look at by one of the local Indies who said the wire that holds the pin in place was missing on the front. What type of problems would this cause?

sky;

BTW, I had the brakes look at by one of the local Indies who said the wire that holds the pin in place was missing on the front. What type of problems would this cause?

DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT DRIVE THE VEHICLE UNTIL YOU GET A REPLACEMENT WIRE RETAINER. You run the risk of having the pads fall out. That may be unlikely, but don't chance it. The pistons could possibly come all of the way out of the cylinders in the calipers. Bottom line is that without the wire retainer, your brakes are unsafe.

sky;

BTW, I had the brakes look at by one of the local Indies who said the wire that holds the pin in place was missing on the front. What type of problems would this cause?

DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT DRIVE THE VEHICLE UNTIL YOU GET A REPLACEMENT WIRE RETAINER. You run the risk of having the pads fall out. That may be unlikely, but don't chance it. The pistons could possibly come all of the way out of the cylinders in the calipers. Bottom line is that without the wire retainer, your brakes are unsafe.

WoW! I am going to contact the Indie and ask exactly which part missing. If its the wire retainer ...

sky;

WoW! I am going to contact the Indie and ask exactly which part missing. If its the wire retainer ...

sky:

It is probably a remote possibility that you would lose the pads, but I don't think it's worth the risk. The "wire" retainer goes through a hole in each pin, which in turn holds the pad retainer clamp in place. Think of the wire retainer as "safety wire" like what is used on aircraft. The safety wire has to fail, then the nut has to loosen and finally fall off. When I'm flying, I prefer that all of the parts that require safety wire actually DO have it.