60000 Service For Rx300

pitman

My wife just got the 60000 mile service performed on her 2001 RX300 here in East Tennessee . Total cost was about $1,060 including 9.5% tax. I'm thinking that may be a little much. What are other people paying for 60000 service?

My wife just got the 60000 mile service performed on her 2001 RX300 here in East Tennessee . Total cost was about $1,060 including 9.5% tax. I'm thinking that may be a little much. What are other people paying for 60000 service?

Yeah That does seem a bit high. I just got a quote from my dealer for a 90k service which includes replacing the timing belt for $1350. That price also included replacing the water pump which was not mentioned in maint schedule but recommended by many on this list. I think the 60k does replace the diff. fluid or something like that which is not on the 90k list but I think that and the timing belt are the only differences.

As an aside I inquired at my local Toyota dealer as to what their cost for the service would be and they said they won't service Lexus' even though the nearest Lexus dealer is 30 miles away. Their reason is that "they cant warranty the Lexus parts" LOL! The guy was really nice about it so I didn't have the heart to lower the boom on him for such a ridiculous statement.

I still think the $1350 is a bit high so I'm checking some local mechs.

Did they "include" new tires in that price? I've been through the 60k mi service 2 times with Rx300's, and NEVER payed that much. The tires add up!

I do my own service. At the 60,000 mile interval, I probably spent about $60 to $70 on parts and fluids although I'd have to check my records to be sure.

Be aware that the factory timing belts on these vehicles rarely break before 120,000 to 150,000 miles as long as you drive normally and don't attempt to use the vehicle as a rice rocket. I plan to replace ours at 120,000 miles, same with the Denso iridium spark plugs.

It behooves all of you to learn to do your own routine maintenance. You're getting your wallets sucked dry at the dealerships, and no one will take better care of your vehicle than YOU will yourself once you learn how....

A few months ago when I took my wife's 2000 RX300 FWD [ 56,000 miles ] in for an oil/filter change I inquired about the 60,000 mile service. The service rep said that the cost was $500.00 but couldn't tell me what services were performed during the 60,000 mile service. She said I could check the owners' manual for the list of services performed. I did just that! It seems to me that the parts needed to complete the 60,000 mile service costs about $70.00-$80.00 and should take 2-3 hours at the most. $500.00 even sounds like a screw-job. $1000.00 has to be robbery! My wife's RX300 Certified Warranty ends about April of this year. I've always taken it to the dealer for the oil/filter changes while under warranty because I always thought it would help create a better owner-dealer relationship, and it has helped when repairs are covered under warranty. If the vehicle needs repair/service after that I'll do them myself. If I can't handle it I'll probably take it to the Toyota dealer. My personal opinion is that Lexus dealers take Lexus owners for suckers when it comes to service/repairs because most Lexus owners don't even know which end of a screwdriver to use and has no clue as to what is involved in vehicle service. While waiting in the dealer's customer lounge I've observed people being charged an hours' labor [ $90.00 ] to change a light bulb that takes no longer than 5-10 minutes; PLUS the cost of the bulb. Maybe the dealer DOES know the Lexus owner! UNBELIEVABLE!

Boy are you so right, and because of their ignorance to real cost, Lexus continues to overcharge everyone else. Its called supply and demand, The supply of stupid people gives Lexus the right to demand overinflated charges for simple tasks. Give me a break, charge $500 for changing the oil and filter, and check this or that, which is probably no more than a visual, unless they can find something to gouge you for. That is the Lexus Motto, demand as much a the ignorant customer is willing to tolerate. So there be it in a nutshell. Toyota does it for cheaper, and just as well. Oh by the way RX in NC is right, learn to do some of the service yourself, not only is it interesting, but saves you a lot of money, and gets you in the garage away from the little woman to give you both peace of mind. Oh by the way it works the other way around, Women can do it also to give themselves a feeling of accomplishment, and say heck with you service writer, I did it right and for 1/10 the cost.

Boy are you so right, and because of their ignorance to real cost, Lexus continues to overcharge everyone else. Its called supply and demand, The supply of stupid people gives Lexus the right to demand overinflated charges for simple tasks. Give me a break, charge $500 for changing the oil and filter, and check this or that, which is probably no more than a visual, unless they can find something to gouge you for. That is the Lexus Motto, demand as much a the ignorant customer is willing to tolerate. So there be it in a nutshell. Toyota does it for cheaper, and just as well. Oh by the way RX in NC is right, learn to do some of the service yourself, not only is it interesting, but saves you a lot of money, and gets you in the garage away from the little woman to give you both peace of mind. Oh by the way it works the other way around, Women can do it also to give themselves a feeling of accomplishment, and say heck with you service writer, I did it right and for 1/10 the cost.

I was quoted by the dealer $500-600, I have always done my own service. I will continue to do so with this car.

Maybe some people value time over money. If you make a lot at your job, maybe sitting in a garage doing $60/hr work isn't your thing.

However, I will admit that the "Lexus service experience" IS all about maxing out what they can charge you. I prefer a service station that has no "relationship managers", old coffee in the pot, worn out waiting room chairs, no cookies, a dirty computer, and mechanics who know their craft! Most Lexus owners want pampering which is their right to prefer.

For me, there are 1000 things I'd rather learn to do than service a vehicle. I will be looking for a non-dealer service garage who know the Lexus and how to fix them when I get my RX300 next week.

I like your attitude, Even toyota services for a lot cheaper. Locally we have garages that specialize in Toyota products which includes Lexus, their prices are a lot more reasonable.

tmhtmh,

I'm essentially retired at 52 and have accumulated all the money we'll ever need and then some. But one of the reasons I was able to retire from the corporate world at 49, completely debt-free since we were 36, is because I never waste money paying someone else to do something that I can do better and with greater care. Investing and asset management are passions of mine, and taking care of our vehicles falls into the asset management category (but don't kid yourself into thinking that your vehicles are investments - they are depreciating expenses which need to be managed).

Try it yourself. You might save assets, build wealth faster, and improve your chances towards getting free and clear in life so you can do things you want to do instead of doing things you have to do....

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Totota service may be cheaper but not all Toyota dealers will work on your Lexus. Our local dealer refused outright to work on mine.

I agree with tmhtmh that some people have no desire to wrench on their cars themselves (I'd suspect that includes tha majority of Lexus owners). Value is something thats relative to each persons income or wealth. If you make/have a good deal of money then $100 oil changes or $1000 services are not that much in relation to what you've got so who cares.

On top of that though having the proper facilities is a factor. I live in a urban environment and I'm fortunate to have enough space to do simple things like change oil and spark plugs (with careful maneuvering) but have no where near the facility to do anything major. I also find that my desire to do that type of work is waning a bit and by the time I hit that ripe old retirement age of 50 I may not want to do any of it at all.

At 59 I am no longer punching the clock, by choice. Also by choice, most things done to my autos are done by me. Mostly change oil and polish a bit. Nothing major. What kind of records does everyone keep to prove you don't void the warranty?

A few months ago when I took my wife's 2000 RX300 FWD [ 56,000 miles ] in for an oil/filter change I inquired about the 60,000 mile service. The service rep said that the cost was $500.00 but couldn't tell me what services were performed during the 60,000 mile service. She said I could check the owners' manual for the list of services performed. I did just that! It seems to me that the parts needed to complete the 60,000 mile service costs about $70.00-$80.00 and should take 2-3 hours at the most. $500.00 even sounds like a screw-job. $1000.00 has to be robbery! My wife's RX300 Certified Warranty ends about April of this year. I've always taken it to the dealer for the oil/filter changes while under warranty because I always thought it would help create a better owner-dealer relationship, and it has helped when repairs are covered under warranty. If the vehicle needs repair/service after that I'll do them myself. If I can't handle it I'll probably take it to the Toyota dealer. My personal opinion is that Lexus dealers take Lexus owners for suckers when it comes to service/repairs because most Lexus owners don't even know which end of a screwdriver to use and has no clue as to what is involved in vehicle service. While waiting in the dealer's customer lounge I've observed people being charged an hours' labor [ $90.00 ] to change a light bulb that takes no longer than 5-10 minutes; PLUS the cost of the bulb. Maybe the dealer DOES know the Lexus owner! UNBELIEVABLE!

Wow...I just love it when one speaks out the obvious.

My personal favorite is the A/C cabin filter - it require no tool and instruction in PICTURES in the owner manual. RX owners still pay Lexus a hour's labor for a 3 minutes DIY job. UNBELIEVABLE is the word!!!

This is beginning to sound like the retirement thread. At 56 I am also out of the corporate world and can well afford to have my Lexus serviced at the dealer. However, I refuse to let them take advantage of me like that. It is amazing to see what goes on at the dealer service dept. I am on my second RX now and have spent some time there waiting for warranty work to be performed and watching them take advantage of the uninformed. The free loaner is actually the most expensive rental you will ever get. The service high cost factor is one of my biggest gripes with Lexus. So far, I have been able to avoid this but there are some possibilities lurking in the future, like possible oil gelling after 8 year warranty, possible trans failure and maybe needing that Lexus specific part that I can't source aftermarket. At least the Lexus internet dealers take the sting out of some of these parts. This will most likely be my last Lexus due to this after purchase price gouging. But who knows, they will come out with something new that I like and I will be griping about service costs on the RX 5000 forum or something like that. I do have to commend Lexus for stepping up to the plate with oil gelling and making an attempt with HID theft deterrent. Now if they would just do something with the trans similar to oil gelling warranty.

While I have the ability and facility to do most maintenance work, I pick and choose carefully. I have oil changes done at a trusted local place for $30. They use Quaker State Synthetic Blend and Quaker State filter. They also do a pretty good check of everything. It might even cost me more if I went DIY here, when I consider oil & filter pick up and disposal. Plus I now have receipts for oil changes. I also have them handle coolant and brake fluid change. Filters and other small stuff are DIY. Brakes. I did myself. Easy and bigger payback here. Transmission drain and fills I do myself just to make sure I get Toyota type T-IV and it is done right. Timing belt @Toyota for $339. Tire rotations are free at Costco and I am already there shopping. In the future, plugs and any sensors required due to CELs, I will most likely do myself.

My RX300 is getting near 60,000 miles so I asked my local lexus dealer how much the 60,000 service would cost. They quoted me a price of $960.

I asked them how long I needed to leave the car. They said 6 hours. Even if they take 6 hours times their $98/hour shop rate, then add $85 for fluids/parts. The total should be no more than $688. How do they tack on $272 on top of an already top-end shop rate???

I am in the group that doesn't want to do my own maintanance, but don't want to get raped by the dealer either. I think I will try to find one of those places that specializes in Toyota cars, or at least try the local Toyota dealerships.

My RX300 is getting near 60,000 miles so I asked my local lexus dealer how much the 60,000 service would cost. They quoted me a price of $960.

I asked them how long I needed to leave the car. They said 6 hours. Even if they take 6 hours times their $98/hour shop rate, then add $85 for fluids/parts. The total should be no more than $688. How do they tack on $272 on top of an already top-end shop rate???

I am in the group that doesn't want to do my own maintanance, but don't want to get raped by the dealer either. I think I will try to find one of those places that specializes in Toyota cars, or at least try the local Toyota dealerships.

One of the THREE Toyota dealers in Virginia Beach is owned by the same person who also owns the ONLY Lexus dealer in Virginia Beach. Guess which Toyota dealer refuses to perform ANY service work on ANY Lexus? Gee, you're pretty sharp! When the time comes for a service that I can't perform on my wife's RX300 I'll probably take it to one of the other two Toyota dealers here. Also, I get the 6-pack of Mobil 1 at Costco for about $28.00. That's about $4.67 a quart. I also use a NAPA Gold oil filter. [ Made by Wix, documented to be one of the best ] Several years ago when I inquired at the dealer about using Mobil 1 I was told that a " Mobil 1 oil/filter Service " cost about $100.00. No, thank you! It's good to get under your vehicle once in while, observe the condition of all of the " made-out-of-gold " parts, and if necessary, check behind any work that has been done at the Lexus dealer. You'd be surprised.

Oil & filter

All other Filters

Change or flush tranny fluid

Change cabin filter

Rotate and balance wheels and tires

Check diff. oil, (good idea to change)

New drive belt (serpentine)

one or two other items, can't remember right now

Mine cost $900 which inc. above and also included rear brakes and rotors

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

You could have changed the oil in the engine and transmission and had someone change the radiator fluid and saved yourself over $900. It would have taken you half of Saturday.... Maybe 90,000 miles service!

A lexus mechanic told me (Our lex/toy dealers are on the same lot) "I don't know why people don't get in the toyota line, the hourly rate is less"

Well, I'll tell you. Some Toyota Dealers (like the one 5 min from my house) wont service Lexus vehicles. They claim that they can't warranty the parts (as if we don't know they're all Toyota parts) Funny thing though, when I went to the Toy dealership to get a replacement antenna shaft/cable I found that even though the Lex/Toy parts look identical (and probably are) many have different part numbers so you cant cross reference a Toyota part to a Lexus part.

(Fr%^&%*'n b@stards) :) . They're really shooting themselves in the foot though, because the nearest Lex deler is 30 miles away and theres no way I'd go that far for service. I found a great Independent Mech to do the work I can't or don't want to do on my RX so TMC see's none of my service cash, oh well!

You ex-corporate guys who retired early with all this dough are full of bull.

If you got all this money AND don't like getting taken, then use a good local mech. Otherwise buy used and drive a Ford.

These ?@4#? Lexus are a pain in the butt to work on plus who has the tools.......these ex-corporate snobs.

You ex-corporate guys who retired early with all this dough are full of bull.

If you got all this money AND don't like getting taken, then use a good local mech. Otherwise buy used and drive a Ford.

These ?@4#? Lexus are a pain in the butt to work on plus who has the tools.......these ex-corporate snobs.

Well I'd say not getting taken is key to the process of retiring early AND having having lots of money but really, I understand your point.

Ive found great local mech. mostly because he's more convenient than the Lex dealer (see prior post) and because he's cheaper for the exact same work.

Speaking to your point again though, I've noticed that many of the people on this forum are pretty middle-class, maybe bought their Lexus used and don't have tons of money to throw away. After all, if you had tons of money you probably wouldnt care how much the Lex dealer charges (which is probably why they figure they can charge so much)

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I enjoy working on my cars, and I agree with Lenore on his point to go to the garage. As you can trust the quality of the job you are doing yourself, you obtain the feeling of reliability. When you do it yourself you know most of the squicks and the nature of it. Is is just a great knowing your car (and you wife's and your daughter's) are in good shape.