Transmission Problems/failures with RX300 awd/fwd

tslex

Here's my story on my 1999 RX300 - the second one I've owned, bought in 2010, and last week was told that the transmission needed to be rebuilt (would not shift into OD). I have approx 123K miles on it. I get all my service done at a Firestone shop (they are great!), and the tech found very dark tranny fluid with metal particles in the pan. AAMCO rebuilt the tranny ($2850), took it out for a test drive, was shifting good, then he heard a 'tickticktick'. Stopped the car, looked under the hood, didn't see anything, got back in the car and the engine light came on. He had it towed back to his shop. I got a call yesterday telling me that they were going to put in a new (used and comparable in miles) engine because it basically blew a piston. One sparkplug looked like it had been bashed with a hammer. They are comping me the engine - no cost to me - and they've had me in a rental car since last Friday. Now what? Told me that they will give me 6k/6 month warranty (I've seen other engines with more miles than mine for 1 year warranty). Do I trust this car after all this? Any reassurances from anyone?

Why? Why are they fixing engine? Did they fail to put oil in it after a oil change. I would really be suspect of the Firestone. Also the flushing of this transmission is a no no. Give us more info. The engine yes is prone to sludge, but frequent synthetic oil changes should have protected it. Are you using synthetic or at least synthetic blend. Your story does not have enough info.

Lenore,

I have oil changed every 5k or sooner & Firestone shop uses synthetic oil. This whole issue started with po171 code. Drove for a few more days then transmission did not shift into OD. That's when I took into Firestone. Knock sensor code showed then. Replaced MAS (after trying to just clean). Tech did test drive & felt a 'shudder' in shift from 2nd into 3rd. He checked tranny pan and fluid was black with metal particles in bottom. He recommended to have transmission looked at. After many discussions with managers at both shops I agreed to have transmission opened up. In planetary gear set a pin was loose in one of the gears causing the problem. So I agreed to a rebuild. Once done a test drive done & shifting out of first was not satisfactory for manager, so a new part ordered for that. Plus they replaced knock sensors at no extra charge. Second test drive resulted in having to replace engine....at no extra cost to me. Manager said this is first time in his 25 years of doing this that this has happened. I haven't had a chance to talk to Firestone manager yet because he was away from shop yesterday. I'm just hoping that this replacement will give me a few more months until I can find a better used auto. Can't continue to pour $$ into this one.

Thanks for info, sorry about the engine failure, I had my RX300 for over 12 years, and yes lost the transmission, (again probably a planetary gear failure) as the original was aluminum which carried steel gears. THe rebuild was steel planetary, which was much more durable. Hey if the engine is replaced you should be good to go....

Thanks for the positive statement, Lenore. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be a 'good to go' for awhile. I really enjoy the RX300, and wish I could afford a much new model year, but will have to hope this most recent fix will keep me going for some time yet. I'll have to say that the Firestone shop has been very, very good to me since I started going to them in 2005. They are always very honest and patient with me. I do a lot of research so I can ask intelligent questions. I am very pleased with their work. The AAMCO place is a new experience, and so far I feel that they are also doing the right things. Comping me the engine replacement, putting me in a rental car, replacing the knock sensors at no charge, speaks loudly for me. They are located right behind the Firestone shop and they work closely with customers from both shops. This is in Tucson, AZ on Ina Road, if anybody else is in this area. Jonathan is the manager of the Firestone and he is a standup kinda guy. Skip is the manager of the AAMCO - same thing. Both are very honest and right up front. Had to put in a good word for both of them. Thanks for 'listening' to me.

• 4 weeks later...

To all the irritated rx300 owners out there that are having problems with the infamous rx300 transmission I have a little good news. I have been reading all these horror storys about the transmission cutting out & leaving them stranded, well the same thing happened to me. My vehicle started off with the trans slipping when it was cold & then being fine after it warmed up, to slipping out of gear while driving, then to not moving at all. I could hear my trans pump whining real loud when the car wouldn't move. I got online & started reading about hundreds of people having the same problems & I started freaking out, it was 12 days b4 Christmas & I still had not even came close to finishing my Christmas shopping for my kids. I was thinking of how to tell my 9yr old that he wouldn't be getting anything from santa bc i knew it would be about $4k to get a new one. Hear is where yall can start caring about my story I took the long way around to get to, I decided to take a gamble & spent $83 getting all new trans fluid & filter & I did a whole lot of praying. I drained all the fluid & dropped the pan, cleaned it REALLY good & put new trans fluid in. I then disconnected the cooler return line & cranked the car up & pumped the other 2 qts of old fluid that was still in the trans case & lines until the new trans fluid started pumping out, I then cut the car off reconnected the line, measured what pumped out & replaced that. After all that was completed I did a whole lot more praying & cranked it back up, let it run a bit then jumped in. IT DROVE!!!!!!! It went into reverse & drive, I've got a long driveway & I went up & down the driveway a few times & then decided to try the road. I went up & down the road for about 20 min punching the gas to see how it did going thru the gears fast & low & behold it did wonderful! So guys & gals who are having the same issue with their rx300, try this 1st b4 getting a new transmission it's a roughly a $100 gamble but it's worth at least trying it b4 putting 4 - 6k in a new one. I did forget to mention that my trans fluid was burnt & the screen in my filter was clogged really bad. It took me about 2hrs total to do this including the trip to auto zone. If u have a ratchet & a 10mm socket (to drop the pan & filter)& a 10mm Allen wrench ( to drain the pan & transfer case) you can do it. There are online lexus forums that will show pictures & give step by step instructions on doing it . It wa so worth it for me! My kids will now still be able to have a Christmas. Good luck to all who have the same problem. God bless m.N

• 1 month later...

To Teslex

The transmission problems you are having with your rx300 seems to be all to common....you did not list the symptoms or problems of the transmission.....

I have a 99 rx300 awd it now has 110k on it but at the 80k mark I began having transmission trouble I was told the same as you 4500 to5000 dollars to replace it .....I thought this is rediculous for this vehicle this is a Lexus the transmission shud never give us this kind of problem... after a lot a research and trying a few different avenues this is what I found....

If your symptoms are neutralizing, it is in drive or reverse yet acts like it is in neutral..... most likely the screen filter is clogged......if you dont mind getting under you vehicle and getting alittle dirty you can drop your own fluid and clean the screen yourself and replace with new fluid....note the dealer charges about 300 dollars to do this they will also flush out all the old fluid which is about 15 qts......when I did this it was good for about 8 to 10

thousand miles and my rx started doing the same thing again....what was happening is the metal clutches were not getting the proper lubrication and the torque converter was not either.....so I had the dealer flush the transmission again and clean the screen filter and this time when I had them replace the fluid I added a product called TRANSMATIC this product thins the transmission fluid to help it get to the critical parts it should. So far

I must say my transmission shifts like it was new.....

Now I admit we should never have had this problem until after many more miles but we have it and I hope this helps you and others out there....good luck..

roanokebarry

I have a question about your transmission failure. Do you have an AWD RX300, cause I do. Second, was the fluid dark brown, or was it fresh looking when it was changed. My trans began by being in neutral when shifted into reverse. Any info would be helpful, cause I was hoping your solution could fix mine, still dreaming, Kirk

• 4 months later...

99 RX300, FWD 162K. Trans fluid never changed, until clogged screen caused Whine at startup, and not engaging - slipping. Changed filter and 4 qts T-4 fluid; 2 hours - it works shifts fine, whine gone (insuf fluid circulation)! Didn't do as much as Foster - purging. Seems clogged filter - totally blocked - is major element to failure. Will keep tabs, and do purge if problem recurs. Thanks to all DIY and Pros who posted. $50 fix!

• 3 weeks later...

I will add my trans story to the RX300 chain here - 2002 RX300, had 197,500 miles on it with no problems except having to replace the usual things (battery, tires, brakes, etc.). I am huge on pre-emptive maintenance (oil change 4K miles, fluids changed on time, 90K service with timing belts replaced pre-emptively, etc.). As I am driving to work around this mileage time (197.5K) I felt the lower gears slipping badly going up a small incline. Having read the horror stories on here about the trans, I suspected the life of mine was at an end. Drove it to my local mechanic (no problems with the trans on the way over there, which was temptation to do nothing) and I was right, the planetary gear was going and about to drop. Dropped a new trans in (at 3200 I think I might have been overcharged) and while I was in there, went ahead and did the preemptive stuff, timing belt, water pump, etc. Runs like a top, 10K warranty on the trans. I think I am good for another 100K (fingers crossed). Whether we keep it that long or not, well who knows....

Anyway, my 2 cents in talking to the mechanics who worked on it along with others who have worked on it in the past is that the determining factors are: 1. Type of driving (mixed, all city, or all highway); 2. Driving habits (do you shift quickly from park to drive, drive to reverse, etc. - hint, this is BAD); 3. Regular maintenance on the trans with the fluid and filter; 4. Where in the country you are located (southern climates seem to help a bit, northern climates demand more of the trans due to varied road conditions, etc.).

Whether the above paragraph is right or wrong, I make no contentions. Again, just conveying what I was told by several mechanics (whom I trust). But, seems like mine lasted longer than average on here, and 60% of my driving is city street, 40% highway miles, so I have a blended type of driving.

• 5 weeks later...

This is what happened to me,

99 rx300 210,952 miles. Went to grocery this morning left car running while wife and baby waited with a/c on. Got in went for reverse and no go. Put back in park turned car off. Restarted car and reverse worked, all the gears worked. Went to gas station fueled up checked trans fluid looked and smelled good. Got on the road and drove about 9 miles and tranny started jumping in and out of gear. pulled over, turned off car restarted car tranny worked, headed towards mechanic 2 miles away. Had to restart again with same problems but made it to his lot(shop closed). Fluid still good looks good smells good. What is this? Restarting seems to somehow reset things. A whirring noise is associated.

Here is what I did about it,

So actual miles 210,952. Pulled pan, original gasket and filter, oil not burnt still red not brown. Lots of fine metal on magnets and in filter, filter all jammed up with particulate metal. Replaced filter, cleaned the pan and magnets. Pulled and cleaned tranny speed sensors. Filled with fluid runs and drives/shifts better than it ever has as long as I have owned it which is about 40,000 miles. I will let you all know when it comes to an end.

Also interested in any updates from people who followed this same path,

Joe

• 4 months later...

Along with 4 other cars, I have a 2000 RX300 with 290,000 miles on it, engine and trans have never been rebuilt, I do service the trans every 30K & pull the pan every 60K. I own a auto center and work on these RX's all the time and they are very reliable. However the last 3 trans problems I've seen were 2002 models and the differential in all of those RX had locked up and the trans had to be rebuilt. Not sure if that's a coincidence or a flaw in the trans/diff in that year. But overall from what I've seen these have been rock solid vehicles.

Joe

Operation Z

Northridge, CA

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2014 at 4:58 PM, Operation Z said:

Along with 4 other cars, I have a 2000 RX300 with 290,000 miles on it, engine and trans have never been rebuilt, I do service the trans every 30K & pull the pan every 60K. I own a auto center and work on these RX's all the time and they are very reliable. However the last 3 trans problems I've seen were 2002 models and the differential in all of those RX had locked up and the trans had to be rebuilt. Not sure if that's a coincidence or a flaw in the trans/diff in that year. But overall from what I've seen these have been rock solid vehicles.

Joe

Operation Z

Northridge, CA

Exactly my case I have an '02 with a bad differential. Something failed in the differential and the rear wheels locked up and I skidded.

After a complete stop I was able to drive the car albeit very slowly. The transmission seems fine as I am able to drive the car (cautiously) it runs through all of the gears, overdive and reverse but is growly when driving.

On a hoist I ran the car in DRIVE and listened to all of the bearings in the driveline and the only bad sound was from the differential area.

I may have been able to avoid this problem if I had known that the differential has a separate fluid chamber from the transmission. There was a weeping seal at the rear output of the differential. I did nothing about it because there was never any oil on the garage floor and the trans fluid looked fine and smelled new. For a couple years I was smelled burnt transmission fluid after my daily highway drive. I suppose the oil leaks onto the hot exhaust and burns off most clues except the mess on the exhaust pipe.

Now where can I get a differential without buying a transmission?

The differential is part of the tranny. I am afraid you are going for a tranny, by the way the fluid chamber has a separate drain plug but share the same transmission fluid.

• 2 months later...

I can tell you from following this issue, that the planetary gears are a weak design point on the early RX300's...The carrier was aluminum and the shaft and gears steel. However the gears would wear the shaft through the carrier causing gear wobble and failure. The replacement assembly went to a steel carrier and actually more gears....

• 8 months later...

4 months ago I purchased a 1999 Lexus RX300.  After a very long process through the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA), I have been deemed and awarded compensation as a "service connected" disabled veteran due PTSD.  I am a 41 year old woman having served in the United States Marine Corps.  When I recieved what the VA calls a "hard check" which is back pay to the date the initial disability claim was filed.  I had the ability and the means to pay in full for the entire price of the vehicle with cash removing the incredible stress of having a car payment.  This left me with very little money as I had used nearly all of it.  I was literally left with barely a dollar to my name.  I didnt fret figuring that it would be tight for a few months but with owing nothing on a car, my savings would eventually start to grow.

On my way to a VA hospital at Ft. Harrison, in Helena, MT for an inpatient treatment for veterans suffering with PTSD.  Half way there, after driving for two hours my Lexus started to have trouble.  By Bozemen, MT I ended up having to stop at Ressler Toyota to have it looked at.  After 2 hours of diagnostics it was determined that it needed a new transmission at a cost of $4,500.  And, since I had spent everything I had left, in orded to own it outright do not have the means to fix it.  Unlike a vehicle one has to make payment on would lose money, yes.  But the consumer would NOT have carpayments and would only be out the money of the few months already payed.  I am now out the entire $5,100, AND out a car having to simply walk away from a large amount of money completely empty handed with nothing to show for it.  Service to our country, resulting in permanent disability is what allowed the means to purchase my Lexus as a kind of reward from our nation for unselfish sacrifice and undying service to our country.  And now,  not even a bit of assistance offered by Toyota/Lexus to help correct the problem, nor even taking responsibility for the fault.

USMC Girl, Sorry to hear of your plight, God Bless you for your service, and I will pray for you.  Unfortunately owning the first year of model year vehicles comes with lots of unknowns.  We on the Lexus sites have shown the problems over the years.  I too was very discourage about my Transmission failure.  As for repairing it, I would suggest taking it to a independent garage (transmission shop) after doing your best search with the internet and BBS in your locality.  The price would probably be much cheaper and possibly provide you with the repair necessary.   I too am a veteran and only wish you the best of luck....Keep us posted though many that only post one time never return.  I hope family or friends come to your aid.  One thing don't consider that reward for your disability a thank you from this nation, you were promised that support in your effort to support our nation and constitution.  It was supposed to be a benefit that unfortunately you needed.  Many in our society think the government is giving us a kiss, but you gave part of you, and accept my salute to you.  You deserve much more than the silly $5100. 

• 8 months later...

Lenore is right on! The transmission on our 2002 RX300 blew out after 48,000 miles, but was out of the 3 year warranty period.. Lexus/Toyota told us to pound sand. We originally bought the Lexus, brand new from our local dealer, because we felt they built reliable cars and would stand behind them. No and no. There are so many other great cars these days, that we will never go back to a Toyota product. Shame on them.

On 1/30/2015 at 7:31 AM, lenore said:

The differential is part of the tranny. I am afraid you are going for a tranny, by the way the fluid chamber has a separate drain plug but share the same transmission fluid.

I stand corrected, it was the transfer case that the rear driveshaft (4wd) is attached to and not the differential.   While it is attached to the transmission it does not share the same fluid and is available separately.

I had the transfer case replaced with a used one and the car has since been driven for over a year.  The cost of replacement was a fraction of what a transmission repair would be.

One thing I have noticed is that the seals on the transfer case have worn a groove into the driveshaft causing an oil leak.  This is not so simple to repair.  I am thinking it requires taking the driveshaft into a machine shop to be resurfaced, then a new seal and bushing. As it stands I have to keep checking the gear oil level for fear it will run dry and lock up on me again. Having the wheels lock up at speed on a busy highway was not a pleasant experience.

On 1/29/2015 at 9:06 PM, deadbolt said:

ase I have an '02 with a bad differential. Something failed in the differential and the rear wheels locked up and I skidded.

After a complete stop I was able to dribve the car albeit very slowly. The transmission seems fine as I am able to drive the car (cautiously) it runs through all of the gears, overdive and reverse but is growly when driving.

On a hoist I ran the car in DRIVE and listened to all of the bearings in the driveline and the only bad sound was from the differential area.

I may have been able to avoid this problem if I had known that the diffrential has a separate fluid chamber from the transmission. There was a we

• 1 month later...

2002 rx 300 150,000 miles, transmission started to have problems changing gears. I could hear the engine accelerate but the 300 did not. transmission yes but I truly felt it was not mechanical failure. Nothing happened to lead me in that direction. it is my opinion in this day and age there is so much more to our vehicles. It's easy for techs to replace the entire assy and say they fixed the problem, also costly to the owner.  I had my fluid changed and the filter replaced. My shop said the problem still existed, they  did test drive. I told them I would pick it up in the morning. I was !Removed! but I still believed it was not mechanical. The 300 sat overnight and I picked it up in the morning. I confirmed that they concluded the problem still existed. I asked them to pull the 300 out so I could test it. I left the shop, the 300 gave me no problems. I drove back to the shop and took them both for a ride. Neither one cold say anything. It didn't matter to me anyway. The 300 runs good and I don't have to put big bucks out for a transmission as I was advised. I can't tell you what the problem was but I do feel it was related to the way the car communicates electrically and the sledge from the fluid. that is only my opinion but my opinion saved me big bucks. I did decide on the solution by go through what everyone has documented and I would like to thank everyone . I do feel some members were taken advantage of but again , my opinion. I guess growing up with all the changes that have taken place gives me more to think about. Did the fluid sitting overnight  h  break up sludge? Who knows, diagnostics doesn't have a code for that. Good luck with the challenges

It could be that some of the bits breaking off the planetary gear locked a valve open.  Flushing the fluid cleared it.  Consider installing a magnefine inline filter to catch future particles from getting to the valves again.

• 3 weeks later...

2003 Rx 300  FWD  165,000

I could use a favor,    I just had a huge ordeal  with my daughters transmission,   went to check the transmission  and it was multiple qts low 

long story  but the top off  created a huge problem and subsequent A/T oil temp light to come on

i am pretty sure someone put the wrong dipstick in the vehicle ,   I had to take all the oil back out  and it was fine for the rest off her trip

but now I can't use the Dipstick to check the fluid   .

the interesting thing is the dipstick although looking and fitting like an OEM should it  has DEXII  marked on it  and also tells you to check the differential fluid at the fill plug on a sticker around the top

this is a FWD and I am pretty sure that procedure  does not apply  

if someone could measure  from the  cold mark center to the  bottom of the large  barrel area with the sticker on it  ( see pic  for an example  but not my exact one 0

that would be great 

thx scott

EDIT = ordered a 22$ dipstick using my VIN  so I will see if it is longer ( hoping it is) $_57.JPG

On 11/27/2016 at 8:13 PM, RX PHD said:

EDIT = ordered a 22$ dipstick using my VIN  so I will see if it is longer ( hoping it is)

Scott are you checking the dipstick with the engine running and warmed up?  Warm up the car, leave it running, pull the dipstick, clean it off, re-insert it all the way in and then pull it out and read it.

You mention that you checked the transmission. Was there any indication of trouble that caused you to check it, or just a precaution in preparation for the trip?

Thx for the reply

I did research on how to check the fluid since the manual had no mention  

so yes it was warmed up, running, in park

I bought the new dipstick today and while the vehicle is an hour and a half away with my Daughter   the dipstick is obviously  different

it is a different color  and has the bent tip like the ones i have seen in pictures  but mine did not have

it also seems longer ( as i am sure it should be )   and has wording that the fluid does not need serviced   unlike the old one that stated check the differential at the dif plug 

i will post back   and the reason I had the trans serviced  in July was we did all the vehicles just because I can't keep up with 4   so they took them to Toyota

and I had noticed the lack of fluid on the dipstick so I thought they would dial it in

I am going to have a talk with BIG2 Toyota t    and ask them how they checked the fluid after the flush they did ? I am beginning to wonder if they did it at all ?

• 2 weeks later...

so I sent the new dipstick up to my daughter  and she did a side by side comparison  

sure enough the old dipstick was  shorter by inches

she put the new one in and checked the fluid   amazingly enough it was within the lines ( remember it had been over filled  and a  guesstimate amount drained out ) 

i emailed the  Toyota dealer  and asked them how they check a transmissions fluid level after they do a  trans flush and fill ?

they called ( i was hoping for email )  and he told me  with the dipstick of course  ,, I then explained the chain of events   and He was speechless

i told them to take our vehicles off their service reminder list and to never call me again  ( had the timeline been less  I would have asked for my 300 bucks back )

Big 2 Toyota  AZ

#+ - 24TOZEL1-: TRANSMISSION FLUSH
AUTOMATIC TRANS FLUID EXCHANGE EXTRACT A}ID REPI'ACE
TRANSMISSfON FLUID
Caused by
PERFORM SERVICE
Work performed by ARTURO BI,ANCAS e5 )
Instal-Ied 094 :TRANS SERV KITL@34 .95
Installed.O0718-ATFOo:     12 quarts  of AUTOMATICTRANSMISSI  1 2@6.50
COMPI,ETED SERVICE.
Sub Total: 257.95