Transmission Problems/failures with RX300 awd/fwd

tslex

So, I just had my SECOND transmission failure in my 99 RX300 AWD. First one blew at 80K miles, now this one blew at 146K. Throw in a failed transfer case and I've spent close to $9K on this "quality" Lexus product. If I had the time and the know-how I would file a class-action lawsuit. I'm a little broke at the moment though!

A word of advice: Apparently Lexus changed the design of the Forward Planetary Gear (a part inside your tranny). So if yours goes, make sure they don't repair the Planetary or use a rebuilt....make them replace it with a new titanium one from Toyota.

Where did you get your info on the planetary gears, I follow this very closely. I showed pictures of a failed planetary and how it was replaced aftermarket with a steel carrier instead of aluminum. I seek any info I can get.

post-12820-1242936111_thumb.jpg

Has anyone experienced or know about transmission failure in FWD. From the posts it looks to me that everyone who saw transmission failing was driving AWD.

Also should the filter be changed only if there are signs of clogging in the original metal filter/screen or it is advisable to change it every 30K miles (or 40/50K)?

• 1 month later...
To Teslex

The transmission problems you are having with your rx300 seems to be all to common....you did not list the symptoms or problems of the transmission.....

I have a 99 rx300 awd it now has 110k on it but at the 80k mark I began having transmission trouble I was told the same as you 4500 to5000 dollars to replace it .....I thought this is rediculous for this vehicle this is a Lexus the transmission shud never give us this kind of problem... after a lot a research and trying a few different avenues this is what I found....

If your symptoms are neutralizing, it is in drive or reverse yet acts like it is in neutral..... most likely the screen filter is clogged......if you dont mind getting under you vehicle and getting alittle dirty you can drop your own fluid and clean the screen yourself and replace with new fluid....note the dealer charges about 300 dollars to do this they will also flush out all the old fluid which is about 15 qts......when I did this it was good for about 8 to 10

thousand miles and my rx started doing the same thing again....what was happening is the metal clutches were not getting the proper lubrication and the torque converter was not either.....so I had the dealer flush the transmission again and clean the screen filter and this time when I had them replace the fluid I added a product called TRANSMATIC this product thins the transmission fluid to help it get to the critical parts it should. So far

I must say my transmission shifts like it was new.....

Now I admit we should never have had this problem until after many more miles but we have it and I hope this helps you and others out there....good luck..

roanokebarry

Hi all,

I bought my 2000 RX300 and am having problems with my transmission. Mine is doing a couple of things I haven't read here. First, in drive cruising 45 to 55 mph, if I accelerate to where the pedal is at 3/4 throttle, it downshifts and then slips and the rpm's go up but the car doesn't accelerate. The other problem (maybe engine related) when I try to accelerate full throttle, the car boggs down, like gas is no longer flowing. Let up, and it's fine. Accelerate slowly, no problems

Any info would be a great help! I should have checked this forum out BEFORE buying...

Some stats that may be of help:

Purchased 6 months ago, $9900

Does not have VSC, but has 4wd

120k miles. I drive 120 miles/day, mostly foothills

check engine light is on (has went off buy itself on occasion) can't remember the code, I think it was for O2 sensor, next to firewall. I had the MAF sensor cleaned since I read that this could be it also.

Gas mileage doesn't seem to be affected. Have tried fuel cleaner to see if injectors are clogged, minimal difference

Thanks, Lisa

Hi all,

I bought my 2000 RX300 and am having problems with my transmission. Mine is doing a couple of things I haven't read here. First, in drive cruising 45 to 55 mph, if I accelerate to where the pedal is at 3/4 throttle, it downshifts and then slips and the rpm's go up but the car doesn't accelerate. The other problem (maybe engine related) when I try to accelerate full throttle, the car boggs down, like gas is no longer flowing. Let up, and it's fine. Accelerate slowly, no problems

Any info would be a great help! I should have checked this forum out BEFORE buying...

check engine light is on (has went off buy itself on occasion) can't remember the code, I think it was for O2 sensor, next to firewall. I had the MAF sensor cleaned since I read that this could be it also.

Gas mileage doesn't seem to be affected. Have tried fuel cleaner to see if injectors are clogged, minimal difference

Thanks, Lisa

Lisa- NOW you understand why the previous owner traded the car. My deepest sympathies to you. I fear that you have possibly bought not a Lexus RX, but a can of worms. And that's a lot to pay for a can of worms. There is a SMALL possibility it is a sensor in the transmission, probably a better chance the tranny is trying to tell you something like make the funeral arrangements because I'm dying. I would tend to think the "bogging" would be a clogged fuel filter, but the only filter is in the tank, and they rarely give trouble, unless someone has gotten a bunch of dirty or rusty fuel from a small gas station. By the way, have you or anyone else checked the trans. fluid to see what it looks or smells like? The dip stick says it doesn't need to be changed except under extreme conditions, and some people take that literally, which is bad because especially on the AWD it should be changed every 15k mi. I am sure there are others who will chime in with some good thoughts and suggestions, mine would probably be to figure a way to turn the calendar back to the day before you bought it, and run fast the other way! Good Luck!

Hi all,

Thanks, Lisa

Lisa- NOW you understand why the previous owner traded the car. My deepest sympathies to you. I fear that you have possibly bought not a Lexus RX, but a can of worms. And that's a lot to pay for a can of worms. There is a SMALL possibility it is a sensor in the transmission, probably a better chance the tranny is trying to tell you something like make the funeral arrangements because I'm dying. I would tend to think the "bogging" would be a clogged fuel filter, but the only filter is in the tank, and they rarely give trouble, unless someone has gotten a bunch of dirty or rusty fuel from a small gas station. By the way, have you or anyone else checked the trans. fluid to see what it looks or smells like? The dip stick says it doesn't need to be changed except under extreme conditions, and some people take that literally, which is bad because especially on the AWD it should be changed every 15k mi. I am sure there are others who will chime in with some good thoughts and suggestions, mine would probably be to figure a way to turn the calendar back to the day before you bought it, and run fast the other way! Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to have the fluid changed ASAP...The level is hard to read on dip stick-not a clear line to read level...it's bright red and doesn't smell burnt...would a bad tranny sensor trip the CEL?

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to have the fluid changed ASAP...The level is hard to read on dip stick-not a clear line to read level...it's bright red and doesn't smell burnt...would a bad tranny sensor trip the CEL?

Not to be a contrarian, but if the fluid looks good and its full it doesn't seem like changing it will do much for you. If you research changing the trans fluid you'll see it requires a series of drain-fill cycles to get a complete change. If you have it flushed it may be more effective but may also cause some other problems. Personally I only change mine ever 30-40k and so far I've got 120k mi. on my 2000.

Hi all,

Thanks, Lisa

Lisa, I have to agree with tmastres, if it is bright red and doesn't smell burned, I have serious doubts that it will benefit you at all. I probably wouldn't waste the money, under those circumstances. Yes, I'm almost certain a bad trans. sensor would trigger the CEL. This very thing has been discussed several times on Club Lexus. You might try a search there, almost certain to get some useful input there. I believe they're called speed sensors. I think they control the point of shift. There are 2 of them and some have switched them to see if the problem follows the switch of the sensors. Good Luck!

I have to agree with code58 here, it sounds like you may have a can of worms. A 2000 RX with 120K on it with trans shifting problems with clean fluid sounds unusual. The previous owner may have flushed the trans in an attempt to solve the issues. Or maybe it's a bad rebuilt trans. The result of both would be clean fluid in a malfunctioning trans. Is there any way for you to obtain the service history of this vehicle? You could pull the service history from Lexus, using your vin, which would at least show if Lexus performed service. If you see Lexus put a rebuilt trans in sometime before your purchase I would bet it's a bad rebuild. Of course this won't list any work done by independents.

If it were me, I would first concentrate on the CEL. You need to get the codes read and report back here with them or have the cause fixed. Sometimes engine sensor codes affect the operation of the trans through the ECU. Many times engine problems are miss-diagnosed as trans problems because of this. Are you sure you are shifting into overdrive? With many CEL codes your ECU prevents the tranny from shifting into overdrive. Count your shift points. You should feel a 1st to 2nd shift somewhere around 20mph, a 2nd to 3rd somewhere around 35mph and finally a shift from 3rd to 4th(od) somewhere around 45mph. Or you may end up with a code indicating a trans prob such as speed sensor or shift solenoid.

Once the CEL is fixed, if the trans problem is still there, I would do a trans drain and fill. I agree with the previous comments that draining clean fluid is a long shot but this assumes that you know what type of trans fluid is in there. The previous owner may have used some incompatible fluid, which could be causing the problem.

Now I need to go off and research techinfo.toyota.com to see when that ATF overtemp detection was first implemented. Any bets?

Many Toyota 4WD/AWD vehicles have had ATF overtemp detection lights on the instrument panel since the late 1980's.

My 1991 Toyota Previa AWD (which does have 225,000 miles on it) has an ATF overtemp light (primarily useful when towing) - the same reason the RX has one. The Previa also will not shift into overdrive until the coolant warms up - a standard Toyota feature.

But yet no one I have asked has yet to see their a/t temp light come on.Either their not hooked up at all,or the temp that they come on is ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone have trouble getting their rx300 out of Park into Reverse ?

No other problems - just want to know if this is first indication of trouble to come ...

I am also having the same problem with my 2003 RX300. Sometimes hesitation going into reverse. Nothing else. Serviced it since it was new at 20k intervals. 135k now. Acts like a sticking solonoid and worse when cold.

• 3 weeks later...

Well - we just got bit by the RX300 transmission bug too. $4200 to replace the transmission on my daughters 2000 rx300. Had symptoms similar to all the posts in here and then finally just started going to 4500 rpms at 20 mph and eventually died. the first sign was the difficulty going in reverse - it was only a week later when it was done. It has 135K miles so I cant complain too much but it still hurts.

sorry about your expensive repair, I would definetly suggest an independent tranny shop (not AAMCO) and maybe some references on their work. Lexus does not rebuild them, they just send to a rebuilder and give you a rebuilt tranny. Good luck, You could file a complaint with the NHTSA board to add to the list of disatisfied customers....

I RECENTLY TOOK MY CAR IN AND FOUND OUT THAT MY TRANSMISSION HAD GONE OUT ONLY AFTER 89,000 MILES AND WOULD BE $5,000-$6,000 TO REPLACE NEW AND $3,500 FOR USED. AFTER RESEARCHING ABOUT THE LEXUS RX300 1999 MODEL I AM FINDING OUT THERE ARE SEVERAL PROBLEMS WITH THIS VEHICLES TRANSMISSION AND DRIVE TRAIN. I AM JUST WONDERING IF THIS PROBLEM OCCURS MORE THAN IT SHOULD WITH OTHERS WITH THIS PARTICULAR MODEL?

TriCounty Lexus in Little Falls NJ is where I had brought the car in for a timing belt that was on the maintenance list. Paid $750. Then the '04 ES330 transmission failed at only 79,000. miles. The dealer wants beaucout money to fix it. What to do?

• 4 weeks later...

I bought an RX300 in 2006 at 49K miles. The transmission just went out at 89K. The car's stuck, doesn't move no matter what gear you shift to, and made horrible noise under the hood. I was lucky to have bought the ESP (extended service warrantee) from Ford (YES, Ford ESP can be purchased for pre-owned cars, no matter what make..does not have to be Ford cars). FORD ESP paid for towing to the nearest Lexus Dealer (in Chantilly, VA). They asked for $4700 to replace the transmission. I was very grateful that FORD ESP agreed to pay the cost in full (minus the standard $100 deductible) without any questions. Here are my takes on this:

1) Lexus Dealer's Service (maybe for just this particular VA location?) is very disappointing. You need to call them every step along the way to get answers about the status of your car. They also want to charge me $195 for the alignment that they said is needed besides the transmission work. And after bilking $4700 from Ford ESP warrantee, you would think they would give me an alignment courtersy discount for their overcharged service, but the rep said NO discount, not even a penny! I just said fine, I could have the alignment done at some other good repairs shop for about 1/2 that price so NO to your arrogrant, disgusting attitude. See if they would have me back as customers (or Lexus customers for that matter, after I trade in this car) ever again.

2) My hat off to FORD ESP pre-owned warrantee plan. They honor their plan to the T (paid for the tow, even asked what make of the car, and tow it to the nearest dealer w/out customer's request...I would have agreed if they suggest other just-as-good repairs shop, other than the cut-throat Lexus dealer!. Also offered to pay for rental cars (took 3 days to fix), but I declined the offer to save them some expense. (paid $1600 for the 4-year ESP plan, so they're already $3000 in the hole after this claim!).

3) Does anyone know if there's already a complaint petition about this Lexus RX300's particular transmission problems that I can sign on? What's the most effective way to let Lexus know about this problem? What would be the good address to write to?

4) Once again, my thanks to FORD ESP service, and would not hestitate to recommend them to anyone. If you need to buy pre-owned car, especiall this disappointing Lexus RX300, then trust me, by any means ask for the FORD ESP

plan...They are the best out there IMO.

Thanks for any help on what I can do to let Lexus know about their disappointing service, and their non-response to customers who have so many problems with the RX300's transmission

• 2 months later...

Please Check the Nissan Murano 2003 trany failures, many thousands and so on, NIssan is not perfect either. CCF

I understand, but why is it that some of the trannys in many American cars and trucks and Nissans seems to go forever without any intervention of changes at 15k miles? I am telling you Lexus has a engineering flaw in their designs, for whatever reason. You would think after building such nice cars that the transmission would have the same reliability as the engine. What gives?

• 3 months later...

Today is March 14th, 2010. I own a 1999 Lexus RX300 with only 21,000 miles. I recently got a "check engine light" so I stopped at AutoZone for the free scan and got "P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor". For the past week when I first get in it for the day. The transmission shifts at 3-4000 rpm.. much later than normal. It only does this for the first shift out of first and sometimes second gear. After that everything shifts normal. The check engine light will stay on for a day, go off, then not come on for another 3 days, then suddenly there it is again.

Again, the car is 11 years old, but since I only have 21,000 miles, would this be covered under any warranty? Would the speed sensor go out at 21,000? Could this be an electrical problem? Is there anything I could do myself to fix this? :huh:

This is my first post. I hope I'm doing this right. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Today is March 14th, 2010. I own a 1999 Lexus RX300 with only 21,000 miles. I recently got a "check engine light" so I stopped at AutoZone for the free scan and got "P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor". For the past week when I first get in it for the day. The transmission shifts at 3-4000 rpm.. much later than normal. It only does this for the first shift out of first and sometimes second gear. After that everything shifts normal. The check engine light will stay on for a day, go off, then not come on for another 3 days, then suddenly there it is again.

Again, the car is 11 years old, but since I only have 21,000 miles, would this be covered under any warranty? Would the speed sensor go out at 21,000? Could this be an electrical problem? Is there anything I could do myself to fix this? :huh:

This is my first post. I hope I'm doing this right. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

That could be just a simple failure of one of the two speed sensors on the outside of the Transmission. Some have swapped them and see if the symtons change...Whatever you do do not do a transmission flush...Drain and change filter/ and then refill....Many have lost their transmission after a flush. The speed sensors are located on top of the tranny kind of under the air box and battery area.....

If I purchased a repair manual and followed the instructions, is this something I could do myself ? I am somewhat mechanically inclined and do most minor repairs myself on my other vehicles. If possible, I would like to dodge the high labor costs if this is simple fix.

I see that you own a 99 model as well. Through postings on here, I have learned that the transmissions on this model have been temperamental/faulty. If there is any other advice you can give me to help ensure that I get the maximum life from this vehicle, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much for your help! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I RECENTLY TOOK MY CAR IN AND FOUND OUT THAT MY TRANSMISSION HAD GONE OUT ONLY AFTER 89,000 MILES AND WOULD BE $5,000-$6,000 TO REPLACE NEW AND $3,500 FOR USED. AFTER RESEARCHING ABOUT THE LEXUS RX300 1999 MODEL I AM FINDING OUT THERE ARE SEVERAL PROBLEMS WITH THIS VEHICLES TRANSMISSION AND DRIVE TRAIN. I AM JUST WONDERING IF THIS PROBLEM OCCURS MORE THAN IT SHOULD WITH OTHERS WITH THIS PARTICULAR MODEL?

4/1/2010

103,000 Total failure!!! It had both planitary housing's cracked, full on wear on the case. I did get it done for $2400. I fell like this car is too weak for my driving??? I wonder what else I can do to prevent this?

• 3 months later...

2000 RX300 AWD at 100,400 miles. No Transmission fluid change ever done. Over the years, we changed MAF, A/F Ratio, Knock sensors. Changed spark ignition coils, etc. All relatively expensive repairs.

Checked tranny fluid before the latest knock sensor replacement job (3 weeks ago). Looked brown/dark red, thin but not fresh cheery color.

2 days ago all of a sudden, the car does not want go while pressing the gas pedal. When the engine is cool, I get some power that lasts for 5-10 minutes then gradually gets worse, the RPM goes through the roof (4000-5000), while the car is at 20-30 MPH, with little to no power. Exactly the same as what "roanokebarry" described earlier in this thread on Mar 7 2006 as "neutralizing". After a while, the car does not even move. All of the gears are the same. D/R/2/1 all behave as if you are in neutral, the gas does not make it to the gears. Then you cool down the car, you get power until you drive another 10 minutes.

Towed the car into a chain transmision shop. The manager described back to me the above behavior which I already knew. Said that they charge $525 to open up the tranny housing, diagnose and figure out what is wrong. They will then give me a price which he says will be around $2600-$3000, total, including the initial tranny open up fee, but no guarentees as to what the total cost will be.

We have not heard of any any noise while driving or gear shifting, no CEL came up either. Going from one gear to another feels smooth, with no noise from the transmission.

Could this be the clogged tranny filter in the pan ? It really hurts me to even talk about a $3,000 expense out of the blue ? What to do?

• 4 weeks later...

I get to add my 2000 Lexus RX300 (165k miles)to this blog list. Transmission starting acting up this weekend, with "clanking" noises. Today it wouldn't go into "reverse". Local Toyota dealership wants $5200 to replace it. A transmission chain wants $3500 to rebuild it. The delear said "they never see Lexus' in there for transmission problems", but the mechanic at the transmission shop said he works on about 3 a month (shop is in an afluent part of town). Long-story short, I'm probably going to buy the 3-year extended warranty for $400 after reading several complaints. Thank God, though, I didn't get stranded and I can afford to pay the bill.

I didnt read through all these pages but i just recently purchased an 2001 RX300 with 178k on it. Original Trans and it shifts great but i plan on changing the fluid in the next few days. From some extensive research it seems either 01/02+ RX's have less transmission problems for they have upgraded ring gears, clutch disks and some other things. Notice that Highlanders from 01+ dont seem to have as many issues either for they have the upgraded internals. Another thing to note is that used highlander transmissions are half the price as Lexus RX ones and you get a crappier trans if you buy a pre 01/02 one. Check www.car-parts.com for used transmissions in your area and compare the lexus to the toyota ones. They say they arent interchangable but they are and the highlander trans is better...just make sure you get your right application FWD or AWD :)

I too as posted found a local tranny shop and asked about failures on this tranny, He said it was 90%of the time the planetary gears failing....The original was an aluminum carrier with steel gears, the replacement in his shop is a steel carrier, and also the addition of two more gears to provide a more robust support...Remember the highlander didnt come out till 2001, hince probably had upgraded gears and carrier.