Transmission Problems/failures with RX300 awd/fwd

tslex

I have thought about this for a year and a half, It is too bad that we owners with the failed trannys could'nt get together and get a true feel for the number of failures. I was going to write a questionare up and every time I saw a RX300 in a parking lot I was going to leave one on their windshield to contact me and give me any feedback on transmission problems or failures with their car and join me in assaulting Lexus of America to try and get some response back other than sorry, its past warranty. They know they have a problem and will not address it, unlike Honda/Accura which recalled their failures on the Odessey and MDX showing that they are truely a company that believes in customer satisfaction. I am sorry your dealership measures up to the Roseville Lexus Standards which is right below Bull Crap. If anybody wants to Email me at tskeen@surewest.net with their car and particulars concerning the transmission I will compile a list and see just how bad it is and submitt it again to Lexus of America. What a cheap !Removed! bunch of American/Toyota /Lexus liars. It makes me sick everytime some one new comes on the site with the same results that many of us have experienced. Tranny failures at less than 100k miles is rediculuous with the engineering that is available today. But not standing behind your product is criminal inlight of selling John Q. Public that they are the premium company, and elite product compared to the rest out there. I have lots of time to fight this, but one voice is not enough. Not servicing at Lexus is no excuse for early failure, and besides it is against the law to demand that. Good morning and best of luck to all of you.

Add me to the list of surprized Lexus RX300 owners with an early transmission/transaxle failure. At 91K, my wife's 1999 AWD RX300 lost all drive power (with the engine running normally) without warning, while driving on a narrow highly traveled two lane country road. The latter is not important except that it highlights the safety related concerns of this type of failure. With luck, she was able to coast to a marginally safer turnout. She was not pleased; she had liked the car because she felt it protected her from getting stranded. Obviously not (and yes, I realize that a car with 91K is not bullet-proof). I had driven the car the day before and it ran/sounded OK. The car has received all of the servicing the dealer has recommended from Day 0. Imagine my additional surprize when I started exploring postings to the web, seemingly finding that the incidence of this problem looks higher than should be expected

Towed to a Toyota dealer (much closer than the Lexus dealer). Diagnosis: Transmission failure, replaced with a rebuilt unit. Cost: $3840 for the transmission. $1370 for labor. They said they are not allowed to open the case and can only replace the unit, so I have no information on what actually went wrong.

I've started my journey though Customer Satisfaction with little satisfaction so far. A promised 2 day response to my request for assistance (from a technical rep) has yet to materialize after a week and I've called again. The promise this time was a response today. We'll see. Given the earlier posts I don't expect a favorable reply from Lexus, but it will get the documentation started. I'll follow up with a demand letter to Corporate (I believe the arbitration clauses only work for the warranty period) with copies to Jim Press and maybe Japan (although I hear that Mr. Press is now on the Board of Toyota (but still President of Toyota USA). Since I have no leverage, this wil again only serve to put my problem on record (and give me the marginal satisfaction of bitching about it).

Yes, I'll follow up with a complaint to the NHSTA with copies to the California Consumer Affairs people.

Of some interest is the information my wife is picking up from her friends. Two or three of the ladies at the gym say they've had transmission problems in their early model RXs, but didn't pursue it with Lexus. I have no desire to provide a focus point for the debate of whether there are a statistically significant number of failed transmissions and what percent would signify a problem that Lexus should acknowledge, but my perception is that there are more than it appears.

Who knows, if this problem affects enough people that put it on the record (the NHSTA is the logical place), we could get some relief. Yes, I understand that my trend towards optimism is a genetic flaw.

"The car has received all of the servicing the dealer has recommended from day 0." That's the main problem with these transmissions is that they are not serviced properly or at all. How long is a transmission supposed to last without ever changing the fluid??? Lexus should be held accountable for their inadequate servicing of the RX300 transmission. It wasn't until recently that they changed their service recommendation and procedure for transmission fluid changes. I guess they finally realized their maintenance schedule was flawed when numerous owners started showing up with burnt transmissions. Too late!!! They should be held accountable and reimburse their customers.

"The car has received all of the servicing the dealer has recommended from day 0." That's the main problem with these transmissions is that they are not serviced properly or at all. How long is a transmission supposed to last without ever changing the fluid??? Lexus should be held accountable for their inadequate servicing of the RX300 transmission. It wasn't until recently that they changed their service recommendation and procedure for transmission fluid changes. I guess they finally realized their maintenance schedule was flawed when numerous owners started showing up with burnt transmissions. Too late!!! They should be held accountable and reimburse their customers.

Blu stu, I am shocked, thank you for your support for the first time....As I have told you before mine was maintained, and it died. Now I have changed the fluid 7 times in 38k miles. It is a problem in hot, city commute areas. Lexus needs to step up and for gods sake move the stupid tranny cooler to the front of the radiator instead of in the wheel well, that is my next project. Just need some time.... And yes the Lexus dealerships will not put it in writing but 15 k is the recommendation now for fluid change. No other Toyota has that requirement. Happy Fourth of july and God Bless America...

Toyota has a maintenance schedule for a drain and fill on the Highlander. I've watched them do it. They pull the plug, drain about four of the 9.5 qts. out, and refill with 3qts. of transmission fluid and 1 qt. of additive to help restore the properties in the old fluid that doesn't get drained.

I'm sure the Toyota/Lexus Corp. performed numerous tests on these transmissions many years ago. They knew good and well that the fluid in any transmission should be changed periodically regardless of towing. The engineers figured that by using synthetic fluid and the special additive, they could extend the life of the transmission past the warranty. There's a good reason why the transmission is only warranted for 70k miles. If they made the transmissions to last 200k and beyond, they wouldn't make as much profit. That's sort of the way it is with most products these days. Back in the 90s when they were designing the RX, they probably didn't anticipate the power of the internet and websites such as the Lexus Owners Club Forum. BUSTED!!!

Guys:

Here is my take.....I started reading this tread about a month ago. I have a 2001 AWD with 100k, never liked the transmission from day one. Its the wife's car........I trusted Toyota and have a 1993 Camry with 212k on transmission. I never thought Toyota would have a problem but they do, and like one person says its design related. Maybe the problem was fixed, who knows?

Anyway, I work in a automotive related industry, we have a guru on staff that knows NHSTA inside and out for air bag products, he tells me a PE was started for a Toyota transmission, I need him to check into thios some more.

Keep ya posted

The "latest" news...

New, final(??) fix for delay/hesitation.

There are a few posts here and there by owners of '07 Avalons that seemingly indicate that Toyota is adopting the same procedure for automatic transaxles that are beginning to be used for FWD and front torque biased AWD vehicles that have a manual transmission. With a manual transmission the driver cannot be restricted from downshifting regardless of roadbed conditions so the new procedure seems to be to rev the engine up to an appropreately higher level to prevent a significantly high, too high, level of engine compression braking on the front wheels when/if the driver inadvertently downshifts in slippery roadbed conditions.

Apparently as of '07 the Avalon (TSB for early production) will now downshift upon a full lift throttle event but will rev up the engine simultaneously to prevent or alleviate any significant level of engine compression braking that might otherwise lead to loss of directional control or interfere unduly with the anti-lock braking system.

Now, apparently, there will be no need for a 1-2 second DBW engine throttle-up delay to allow time for the transaxle to complete the double shift, up on lift-throttle and then down to accelerate, in QUICK sequence.

Guys:

Here is my take.....I started reading this tread about a month ago. I have a 2001 AWD with 100k, never liked the transmission from day one. Its the wife's car........I trusted Toyota and have a 1993 Camry with 212k on transmission. I never thought Toyota would have a problem but they do, and like one person says its design related. Maybe the problem was fixed, who knows?

Anyway, I work in a automotive related industry, we have a guru on staff that knows NHSTA inside and out for air bag products, he tells me a PE was started for a Toyota transmission, I need him to check into thios some more.

Keep ya posted

hey, excuse my ignorance, what is a PE, I hate acronyms.... And please do keep us posted, I am the one pushing everyone to file a complaint with the NHSTB when they have a failure. Some of the latest entries are scary when concerning a failure on a two land heavily traveled country road. Lexus does have a problem. I am keeping all emails from folks with failures, It just continues to grow.

Sorry: PE is preliminary investigation

If you look on the NASTA web site for RX300 you will find 14 complaints for transmissions.........per my staff guru this is usually enough to start a PE.

You say 14 is not many? Well NASTA thinks so because if a person takes the time to document a claim it means usually all else failed........

Keep posted

If you look on the NASTA web site for RX300 you will find 14 complaints for transmissions.........per my staff guru this is usually enough to start a PE.

You say 14 is not many? Well NASTA thinks so because if a person takes the time to document a claim it means usually all else failed........

Keep posted

Thank you, by the way I thought there were more, maybe under different model years......

Keep posted

Thank you, by the way I thought there were more, maybe under different model years......

All model years from about '99 for Avalon, Camry, ES300, RX0x0, Highlander, Sienna.......

Guys:

Keep ya posted

I just had the transmission on my 2000 RX300 fail. It has about 104K miles on it, and I did all of the recommended servicing at the Lexus of Pleasanton dealership. I did call Lexus customer service, because the tranny should NOT fail this early on. It also bothers me that my "A/T Oil Temp" warning light came on and I took the car to the dealer, and they couldn't find a problem. They sent me on my way, and the car totally broke down on the way home. The response from Lexus' service department: "That's good. Now we'll have an error code to work with."!!! Come on!

I'm supposed to hear from Lexus customer service tomorrow, but after reading this thread, I'm not holding out much hope. How do I sent a complaint to the NHSTA on this? If there's a link, please send it along.

Basically, though, I'm disgusted with Lexus. Like many here, I have brought my car to the dealer for service since day one. They should be able to diagnose a problem and fix it before there is a complete failure. Lexus of Pleasanton quoted me $5600 to replace, and AAMCO is saying between $3-4K. I bought the car because I thought it would last me a good ten years, and unfortunately as a student and single parent, both options are currently out of my reach right now. The car is worthless as it is, so I'm stuck.

iF YOU had it serviced at Lexus all along, tell the dealer that you expect a good faith replacement of the transmission. Dont ask, tell them what you expect. Be firm but calm. See what they do.... Check other transmission shops other than AAMco. Should be around $3000 tops. When you get tranny done have them replace the Rear main seal, It only cost about $20 and it will save you $1500 later on, after all the transmission will be off and make it accessable. The complaint can be filed with the National Highway Safety Board, you will need the Vin # of the vehicle. Good luck and sorry about your failure, join the ranks of failures is a sad state of affairs for our $40K plus vehicles with the Toyota reliability.

Lexus is now giving me the run around -- they are "still investigating my case". I'm seriously thinking about calling the consumer helpline on one of the local or Bay Area TV stations to see if they can get some publicity on this problem. I think Lexus needs to change its tag line. Any suggestions?

Contact Lexus of America and tell them what you expect, again be firm and calm. Tell them you have been a good customer with all service at the dealership, and you expect them to give a good faith replacement of the transmission.

I posted several weeks ago about a failed transaxle and the start of my travels through Lexus Customer Satisfaction in Torrance, California. My request for help from Lexus in paying to fix the problem was denied over the phone because 1) the car was out of warranty, and 2) they don't believe the problem was due to a defect in either design or maintenence recommendation. I'm still waiting on a written response to my written request. I've filed my complaint with the NHTSA and very much believe this is a serious safety problem for a small, but possibly significant, number of owners. It will be interesting to see if the issue grows as the population of early RX300s ages. If not, I was one of the unfortunate few on the wrong side of the transmission failure bell-shaped curve. If the NHTSA does see a significant problem and force mitigation, I've saved my paperwork.

Now I think I'll go write a letter to Jim Press (President ofToyota Motor North America) and ask for his intervention. It'll give me something to do while I wait for the NHTSA to determine if this is an issue or not.

I posted several weeks ago about a failed transaxle and the start of my travels through Lexus Customer Satisfaction in Torrance, California. My request for help from Lexus in paying to fix the problem was denied over the phone because 1) the car was out of warranty, and 2) they don't believe the problem was due to a defect in either design or maintenence recommendation. I'm still waiting on a written response to my written request. I've filed my complaint with the NHTSA and very much believe this is a serious safety problem for a small, but possibly significant, number of owners. It will be interesting to see if the issue grows as the population of early RX300s ages. If not, I was one of the unfortunate few on the wrong side of the transmission failure bell-shaped curve. If the NHTSA does see a significant problem and force mitigation, I've saved my paperwork.

Now I think I'll go write a letter to Jim Press (President ofToyota Motor North America) and ask for his intervention. It'll give me something to do while I wait for the NHTSA to determine if this is an issue or not.

In your case ToxDoc, you're stuck fighting the "inherent design flaw" fight that many others have waged due to failed transmissions.

In Redrx's case the fight he should take is that he took it in with an indicator light on and they didn't find the problem (incompetence) and shortly thereafter the part failed. Sort of "automotive malpractice". Sure you can give Lexus a bit more time but I'd file a small claims case for the amount of a replacement transmission, very easy to do and it may perk their ears up to your problem. If not I'd say you've got a good case in small claims court.

In the reports of failure past on this forum I dont remember anyone mentioning that the AT Temp light came on at any time before or during the trans failure. I may be wrong and I hope those that have had the experience will tell me if thats so. In any case your failure may be different and you may be able to get it resolved differently due to incompetent service techs.

funny you mentioned the rapid deterioration of the fluid in a few thousands of miles after checking it often. I too experience the same rapid breakdown. It is not normal and Lexus will not step up to the plate. That is the truth and I hate having to change the fluid every 15k or less when any other car I have ever owned did not require this.

If the RX transmission is so bad, why don't Toyota Highlander owners have the same complaint? It's the SAME engine and drivetrain. Search the Highlander forums and you'll find few, if any, transmission complaints. Its already been posted that Consumers Reports shows no transmission issues either. If anyone were to highlight a problem with the RX unit it would be CR. The only other comment is that if, and when, transmission service is performed you MUST use the Toyota Type IV transmission fluid.

I know one thing. I just bought a 2001 RX 300 with 58K. I checked CR and their glowing review was a key ingredient to my purchase. After seeing these post I am sorry for going with the Lexus. I fully expected to get 250K from this luxary vehicle.

kp

funny you mentioned the rapid deterioration of the fluid in a few thousands of miles after checking it often. I too experience the same rapid breakdown. It is not normal and Lexus will not step up to the plate. That is the truth and I hate having to change the fluid every 15k or less when any other car I have ever owned did not require this.

If the RX transmission is so bad, why don't Toyota Highlander owners have the same complaint? It's the SAME engine and drivetrain. Search the Highlander forums and you'll find few, if any, transmission complaints. Its already been posted that Consumers Reports shows no transmission issues either. If anyone were to highlight a problem with the RX unit it would be CR. The only other comment is that if, and when, transmission service is performed you MUST use the Toyota Type IV transmission fluid.

I know one thing. I just bought a 2001 RX 300 with 58K. I checked CR and their glowing review was a key ingredient to my purchase. After seeing these post I am sorry for going with the Lexus. I fully expected to get 250K from this luxary vehicle.

kp

Well dont get too upset, I've mentioned before (probaby in theis actual very long thread) its the 99/00's that have been reporting higher than normal (my opinion) failure rates. The 01-03 had changes made to the transaxle that seem to have minimized the problem. Yes , of course there have been a few failures of 01-03's but then again there are always going to be a few failures of anything produced en-masse especially complex machinery. What I need to see before I say problem is a repeated pattern of the same part failing. Iv'e seen it on this and other forums with the 99 and almost enough with the 00 but very few with the 01-03's and not enough to say the design flaw wasn't corrected. At this point in time there should be plenty enough miles on 01-03 vehicles to have uncoverd an endemic flaw.

kp

Well dont get too upset, I've mentioned before (probaby in theis actual very long thread) its the 99/00's that have been reporting higher than normal (my opinion) failure rates. The 01-03 had changes made to the transaxle that seem to have minimized the problem. Yes , of course there have been a few failures of 01-03's but then again there are always going to be a few failures of anything produced en-masse especially complex machinery. What I need to see before I say problem is a repeated pattern of the same part failing. Iv'e seen it on this and other forums with the 99 and almost enough with the 00 but very few with the 01-03's and not enough to say the design flaw wasn't corrected. At this point in time there should be plenty enough miles on 01-03 vehicles to have uncoverd an endemic flaw.

thanks for that! I will sleep with just one eye open. seriously, thanks.

kp

"The 01-03 had changes made to the transaxle....."

Yes, and I quite firmly believe the primary change was to go to a higher volume gear type ATF oil pump. A higher volume pump would certainly help solve the earlier problem due to not having enough ATF pressure with the engine ar idle to support two gear shifts, lift-throttle upshift following quickly by a need to accelerate.

Then the law of unintended consequences came into play.

At high engine RPM during cruise that oil pump pumped, pressurized, a LOT of excess ATF that simply got bypassed back into the sump to become WASTE energy dissapated as HEAT.

So even with all being equipped with the towing package the '01-03 models are suject to ATF overheating by about 40,000 miles.

Thank God for DBW for the RX330...

In your case ToxDoc, you're stuck fighting the "inherent design flaw" fight that many others have waged due to failed transmissions.

In Redrx's case the fight he should take is that he took it in with an indicator light on and they didn't find the problem (incompetence) and shortly thereafter the part failed. Sort of "automotive malpractice". Sure you can give Lexus a bit more time but I'd file a small claims case for the amount of a replacement transmission, very easy to do and it may perk their ears up to your problem. If not I'd say you've got a good case in small claims court.

In the reports of failure past on this forum I dont remember anyone mentioning that the AT Temp light came on at any time before or during the trans failure. I may be wrong and I hope those that have had the experience will tell me if thats so. In any case your failure may be different and you may be able to get it resolved differently due to incompetent service techs.

In my case the transmission light never came on. just lost overdrive, and downhill from there.

• 2 weeks later...

All you can do is call the dealership and ask, But since it is a 99 I suspect they would be more than happy to look at it but for heavens sake dont let them replace your transmission. ($4500) If they say the tranny is toast, take it to an independent, trusted tranny shop, you will save at least a $1000 . Good luck, hope it is just a dirty filter or bad solenoid...

All you can do is call the dealership and ask, But since it is a 99 I suspect they would be more than happy to look at it but for heavens sake dont let them replace your transmission. ($4500) If they say the tranny is toast, take it to an independent, trusted tranny shop, you will save at least a $1000 . Good luck, hope it is just a dirty filter or bad solenoid...

I would take it to Lexus first and "beat" up on them a bit before going to a third party. Not denegrating third parties it's just that Lexus is VERY WELL acquainted with the premature transaxle problems of the '99 (possibly '00 too) RX300 and has been making concessions (monetary, labor, parts..) to owners, especually those with good maintainance records and more especially with those having had Lexus do all or at least some of the maintenance.

'99 RX300 transaxles are failing prematurely, under 100k miles typically, because of a FWD safety improvement firmware change made in the engine/transaxle ECU programming.

DBW was adopted with the RX330 as a temporary fix for the firmware "BUG" but that resulted in the 1-2 second acceleration delay.

To this date it is still unknown as to what the permanent fix will be.