Ls400 With High Mileage: Still Good

punkyrules

I am planning on purchasing an LS400 with high mileage but I want to know, up to how high do they usually go on mileage before having lots of problems. Should I aim for something in the 60,000 mile range, or would it be a safe bet to get a cheaper car with around 80k miles?

You guys who own LS400s, or have in the past, how long did they go before you were having to pay $100 or more per month in repairs?

Thanks alot!!

The cars are generally very solid and reliable. Shouldnt be any difference in 60k and 80k. actually you'll find they handle mileage better than just about any other car out there. My dad's is a 98 with 140k, and still no problems.

Take the one with 90k with all blown 90K Lexus verified (via VIN number) service done. Make sure that every service intervals were done in time and documented. Verify that there were no major body work also if price is too cheap. After that you will be doing the same. You will be driving the same car what somebody would have leased new for $800/mo. Good luck.

Hey Punky, I don't think 80 or 90K on a LS400 is high milles at all. Check out the gallery of the guy in Utah with 555,000 miles on his LS and it still looks really sweet. Just listen carefully to what kisik said, that is right on the money. You don't want something that some car that some idiot never serviced on a regular basis. I guess most people who own a Lexus probably can afford the service, but you can't be too careful.

People actually pay over a grand a month.... for a lease? I prefer to lose money in the stock market instead.

People actually pay over a grand a month.... for a lease?  I prefer to lose money in the stock market instead.

Oh yeah, my dad's lease on his 98 was almost $1100, his company owns it now for him to drive. New LS430s lease for even more if they're Ultra Luxury models, closer to $1200. Benz S Classes lease for about $1400, 745Lis about $1300. Cars in that class are really expensive. Still cheaper than buying and financing though, and its one hell of a writeoff.

You CAN lease an LS for $800 a month if you want no miles and a 5 year lease. If you want realistic miles and a 3 or 4 year lease you're talking a grand easy. Pile on more miles like my dad does, $1200.

I just bought my 92 LS 400 with 100 000miles on it. I had it checked over, did a carfax report on it and when I took it for a test drive I got a Toyota Tech to look over the whole thing. He said it would probably run for another 100 000miles before anything goes wrong, so I bought it. :D

When I first bought my LS400 last year and had to put some money into it last year, it kinda freaked me out. After driving the car for that time, and more importantly, after doing my own repairs, I have developed quite a respect for this car. Everything is beautifully engineered and easy to understand. I am aware that it takes significantly longer to understand how the components are assembled, but once understood, the quality of the engineering is clear.

Seeing as how I gress with several other members that the key is to doing your own maintenence, I do all of my own now. I figured that it's a better way of spending my time than watching TV or video games.

Denny

• 3 years later...

When I first bought my LS400 last year and had to put some money into it last year, it kinda freaked me out. After driving the car for that time, and more importantly, after doing my own repairs, I have developed quite a respect for this car. Everything is beautifully engineered and easy to understand. I am aware that it takes significantly longer to understand how the components are assembled, but once understood, the quality of the engineering is clear.

Seeing as how I gress with several other members that the key is to doing your own maintenence, I do all of my own now. I figured that it's a better way of spending my time than watching TV or video games.

Denny

Hey, I'm a Hokie dad. My son plays for Coach Beamer.

Agree with you on the initial shock of a Lexus's sensitive nature. However, after you take care of the problems, it just purrs like a kitten.

LS400, '90, 246K and going strong. About to put in a K&N air filter to "boost" mileage since since I do quite a bit of City driving and with a each tankful of super around $50. Just graduated from a Camry so this is quite a shock for me. Also decided to go synthetic for next oil change.

dont be afraid to purchase a high milage ls400 80 to 90 is not high milage on these cars.my

current ls has 192,000 2nd timing belt & water pump runs excellent.i have had various models

of lexus and never had any major problems with them even the es300 model.my neighbor

currently has a sc400 with 287,000k miles and he takes 12hr trips with it quite often.i have sold

3 ls400 with high miles and no complaints yet.i get referals from the buyers.the past 8 months

i have driven and sold a couple cars 1 1997 bmw 528 had 105k ,1997 740il 126k,1998 e320 benz,

1998 s420 benz.lots of issue when compaired to the lexus line.1992 ls400,1993 ls400,1996 ls400

put 12k miles on this on in four months.yes i sell used cars so i prefer the lexus line anytime.

a well kept lexus will last longer than its german counter parts anytime.