Castrol Syntec 75w90 Gear Oil?

Lexusfreak

I thought about using synthetic a few months ago. I posted up a couple questions about it, and the verdict came back with non-synthetic. There were a couple guys who used it, and loved it, but if I recall, more didn't like it v. liked it. I'd be curious though to try it myself at a later date.

I have put it in my front and rear differentials on my RX300 AWD. So far great, but quite frankly you cannot tell any difference. I have noticed however that many car manufacturers are recommending it in their new vehicles. Tells you something. The move is toward synthetics. Go with the flow. They should lube better in cold and heat.

I have put it in my front and rear differentials on my RX300 AWD. So far great, but quite frankly you cannot tell any difference. I have noticed however that many car manufacturers are recommending it in their new vehicles. Tells you something. The move is toward synthetics. Go with the flow. They should lube better in cold and heat.

I wanted something better than conventional when the time comes to change the diffs of our Subi Forester, & I have had good luck in the past with Castrol products (and the price was very reasonable).......I gave serious consideration to Amsoil & Motul & Red Line gear oils......but they were astronomical in price & very difficult to find in my neck of the woods. Castrol it is.... B) Thanks for the replies.

:cheers:

I wanted something better than conventional when the time comes to change the diffs of our Subi Forester, & I have had good luck in the past with Castrol products (and the price was very reasonable).......I gave serious consideration to Amsoil & Motul & Red Line gear oils......but they were astronomical in price & very difficult to find in my neck of the woods. Castrol it is.... B) Thanks for the replies.

Amsoil severe is like $8.50 I think dealer. Online buying is the only way to go! :) More money but at 100,000 mile drains.

I am still old school, I liked there old Series 2000 fluid...cool blue! I have that in my Kubota tractor. 4 years and still going.

Amsoil severe is like $8.50 I think dealer. Online buying is the only way to go! :) More money but at 100,000 mile drains.

I am still old school, I liked there old Series 2000 fluid...cool blue! I have that in my Kubota tractor. 4 years and still going.

My dealer (about 35 mins from me) want's like $17 a qt! :blink: (I'm doing some other stuff to the car as well) And the online folks want to clean up on the shipping & handling charges. :( Amsoil would have been my first choice, but a little tight with $$$ for the time being.

My dealer (about 35 mins from me) want's like $17 a qt! :blink: (I'm doing some other stuff to the car as well) And the online folks want to clean up on the shipping & handling charges. :( Amsoil would have been my first choice, but a little tight with $$$ for the time being.

Wow, that is off the scale. You can't buy it right form Amsoil? Also is odd, is that Canada prices went DOWN 5% as of Feb 1, unlike the USA.

Wow, that is off the scale. You can't buy it right form Amsoil? Also is odd, is that Canada prices went DOWN 5% as of Feb 1, unlike the USA.

Once you factor the exchange rate, S&H it's just not a good buy (plus they want to sell me that pump to boot).......next time around I hope I have the $$$. But all things considered, the Castrol should provide good service. Several members of my Subi sites concur it's pretty good stuff (although I know not the very best) with no problems reported (I know it will be better than the conventional 'Subi' stuff). B)

Other choices were Motul which was close to the same price (and available only at the Subi dealer that I know of in these parts, +75% mark up) as was Red Line. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Bren,

The only help I can give is that I use the Mobil1 75W-90 synthetic gear oil on the rear diff on my Zuki. Haven't had any problems in using it in the last 2 years.

steviej

putting this in the car at this exact moment

Yes I have had it in my differentials for a couple of months, seems no ill effects so far. Available at Walmart for $8.50 a quart, two quarts and you can do both differentials. What a deal, but not a particularily easy job considering the location of the fill holes and the access to them. Good luck.

Sk what are you talking about? The AWD has two differentials, ok the front one is a transfer case, but they both use 75/90 weight GL5 oil

I didn't know anyone was talking about a AWD tranny?

in the fourth post of this thread, Lexusfreak explains that it is actually for his Subi Forrester.

He's just polling the lexus community for observations on Castrol gear fluid.

Gotta read the whole thread to get the whole picture my friend. :rolleyes:

steviej

• 2 months later...

Freak,

I've had the castrol 75-90 syn in my 99LS for 3 years now......and 32k miles..........ready to change it out again for the 90k.........

no problems.....

I concur 99, no issues either with my wife 03 Forester. B)

When I was on vacation, I picked up some Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90 gear oil (on sale for a very good price!) for my 06 Turbo Forester which I will be putting in, in the fall........I've heard pretty good things about this too. B)