Trans Not Shifting Into O/d When Very Cold?

Magnoman

I have noticed that my trans is not shifting to o/d when the car is very cold. . today it was very bad. I was gettiing on the hiway that is about 1/2 mile from my home doing 50mph the car was doing 4k rpm and did not shift to o/d untiil a good mile or so.......I did change the trans fluid at around 60k 5 months ago.

was wondering if a trans fluid cond would hepl?

The shift logic was designed that way. The shift points are higher(RPM), and the O/D is locked out until the engine temperature rises to a predetermined degree. Your car is acting normally.

The shift logic was designed that way. The shift points are higher(RPM), and the O/D is locked out until the engine temperature rises to a predetermined degree. Your car is acting normally.

Agreed, I had the same concern when I first got my ES......this is perfectly normal & is the way the vehicle has been designed. B)

:cheers:

I have noticed that my trans is not shifting to o/d when the car is very cold. . today it was very bad. I was gettiing on the hiway that is about 1/2 mile from my home doing 50mph the car was doing 4k rpm and did not shift to o/d untiil a good mile or so.......I did change the trans fluid at around 60k 5 months ago.

Tranny fluid in our cars has to reach 153 degrees to operate normally.

Tranny fluid in our cars has to reach 153 degrees to operate normally.

Thanks guys thats good to know my trans is not on the way out!

Thanks guys thats good to know my trans is not on the way out!

4000 RPM @ 50 MPH is NOT normal and might mean your transmission is slipping when cold due to a problem like a low transmission fluid level or deteriorated fluid. Your motor should rev around 2500 - 3000 RPM @ 50 MPH when cold and drop to about 2000 RPM @ 50 MPH when it shifts into overdrive.

Check fluid level and condition when engine is warm and idling in Park. Also make sure transmission is filled with Toyota Type T-IV fluid.

My 1995 LS400 will hold gears until it's warmed up as well, especially the OD gear. That won't kick in until the car is practically warmed up completely. I would think 4k rpms does seem a little high, but I have a V8, not a V6, and my engine RARELY sees 3,000 rpm in general. I would say it's normal, but I would also listen to monarch and make sure you've got the right fluid in there, and the right amount, just to be 100% sure. Did you have the dealership change the fluid? If so, I wouldn't really worry about getting the wrong fluid. But if you took it to a jiffy lube type place, then i would worry, as they usually use that dexron stuff, which can cause problems. Not always, but possible.

Mag,

What is the service/maintenance history on your tranny? All fluid changes at the proper intervals accounted for up until now? :unsure: If not, I would suggest you get it done sooner rather than later as a preventitive measure.

:cheers:

If the coolant temp sensor is not up to (around 162*F normally), the ECU's do not use full timing advance & prevent high rpm operation under load & also lock out any O/D gears.

They also will run progressively richer, the colder the CTS, to speed warm-up time.

If the coolant temp sensor is not up to (around 162*F normally), the ECU's do not use full timing advance & prevent high rpm operation under load & also lock out any O/D gears.

They also will run progressively richer, the colder the CTS, to speed warm-up time.

Wouldn't you think that the coolant temp sensor is working, since after the car warms up it'll shift into OD? :)