Is250/350 Key Question

If you started the engine (key is in pocket) then walked back to the house to get something while the engine is already on and running. Can a theft jump in there, and drive it away?

I always thought that they couldn't, so I always relied on that. But now my friend just raised an interesting question, and made me wonder.

Thanks for answering.

They COULD actually drive it a few hundred feet before the engine start stalling.

So.... they would not get very far but they would try.

Does it worth it to have the car stolen even for 200 feet?

Not for me.

I think you may be mistaken. Once the engine is running, if the key leaves the area, it will not magically shut off. It will complaign that the key is not present but will not stall. That would be a huge legal issue if you were driving and the car just shut itself off... I may be wrong but I see no mention of that in the manual...

If you started the engine (key is in pocket) then walked back to the house to get something while the engine is already on and running. Can a theft jump in there, and drive it away?

I always thought that they couldn't, so I always relied on that. But now my friend just raised an interesting question, and made me wonder.

Thanks for answering.

i asked the lexus salesperson this when i went to check out the car. he said the car can be driven, but once the ignition is turned off, they won't be able to start it again unless they had the key. so, they could get to their destination, but wouldn't be able to take it anywhere else after that.

hmm i think it would just be safer to make it so that you cant drive the car without the key...just makes more sense. Maybe once the key leaves a certain area, the car will be placed in park and the handbrake on (assuming there is an electric handbrake) and cannot leave park or disengage the handbrake without the key...something like that...COPYRIGHT lol jkjk