Should Replace Strut Or Strut Mount?

Miguel

Everytime I go over a bump I hear a knocking noise coming out of the rear of the vehicle, I've been doing alot of research on this subject here, over the net, and visiting some some services providers like sears, pep boy ect. I will like to hear the opinion from someone else not tying to charge 200+ per strut, plus 200+ of labor what do you guys think?

Thanks in Advance.

Everytime I go over a bump I hear a knocking noise coming out of the rear of the vehicle, I've been doing alot of research on this subject here, over the net, and visiting some some services providers like sears, pep boy ect. I will like to hear the opinion from someone else not tying to charge 200+ per strut, plus 200+ of labor what do you guys think?

Thanks in Advance.

If it is a deeper muffled bumping it could be the "strut". If it is more of a sharper and sometimes metal like sound, most likely the mount. I have replaced both at different times. And please do not pay 200 per strut.

Snes

Can you find a good independant shop to do the install? I priced out what it would cost for a set of 4 KYB GR2 Struts and Strut Mounts for about $500 delivered. But I think $200 per strut for labor is a little high.

Well that is my dilema, I don't know much about cars, well that is obious but when you go over a bump or somenthing simlar it sound as if you have somenthing on your trunk, like a groceries rolling around after a sharp turn that is the exact feeling and sound. I honestly don't know what I should expend the money on everyone I have ask is just trying to rip me off don't know what to do ;)

Thanks for your help

My 94 ES300 also makes the same sound. I just installed new rear strut cartridges and both upper mounts, bit it still makes the noise.

Our 94 models don't have the same rear suspension as a 2001 model. The simple bushing change as discussed in the other thread "golf balls in the trunk sound" doesn't apply.

post-3960-1140752653_thumb.jpg

Did you check to find out what could be the problem?

I checked everything when I did the struts, all the control arms and control arm bushings are good. The 4 control arms bolt to a large sub-frame kind of thing thats held in by 4 bushing assemblies, that could be the problem. Those 8 subframe bushings cost $200. This is what they redesigned in later models.

My advice is to replace the strut cartridges, our 94's don't need wheel allignment afterwards and they are cheap. I bought KYB units for like $36 each. The upper strut mounts were $75 each from Lexus and weren't worn out, so I advise not to replace them unless they are bad.

I think I can live with the noise, it rides much better with the new struts now. I don't want to spend too much money on such an old car. I just replaced the radiator and hoses too.

Added picture of crossmember on 1994 ES300.

I checked everything when I did the struts, all the control arms and control arm bushings are good. The 4 control arms bolt to a large sub-frame kind of thing thats held in by 4 bushing assemblies, that could be the problem. Those 8 subframe bushings cost $200. This is what they redesigned in later models.

My advice is to replace the strut cartridges, our 94's don't need wheel allignment afterwards and they are cheap. I bought KYB units for like $36 each. The upper strut mounts were $75 each from Lexus and weren't worn out, so I advise not to replace them unless they are bad.

I think I can live with the noise, it rides much better with the new struts now. I don't want to spend too much money on such an old car. I just replaced the radiator and hoses too.

Thanks for the Advice, I will have a local very good mechanic take a look a it, and I will tell him what to look for so he dosen't get any ideas.....thanks alot

Hey PPrindl you're right, the one bushing of the 4 you mention is what is making the sound. Such little thing making this big sound crazy. Now the problem is where could I find this bushings I don't need the bar just the bushings and dealers price are a bit too high.

Thanks a lot for your help.

goodluck with bushings, because if they are anything similar to my 240 there a bi!@#. and to do it yourself is quite timely just because you need to get a hold of a press or a shop with a press. and for those places to do labor is quite expensive. and i dont know if you can even just buy the bushings themselves, because there isnt too much of an aftermarket tuner crowd for our cars so there will probably be just whole arms with bushings from the dealers. because 240sx' you can just buy bushing themselves from other places and save the money instead of buying a whole brand new arm which is still fine. if anyone knows of a bushings dealer for our es's please feel free to chime in. one spot that might come to me would be whiteline.

Goodluck

Hey PPrindl you're right, the one bushing of the 4 you mention is what is making the sound. Such little thing making this big sound crazy. Now the problem is where could I find this bushings I don't need the bar just the bushings and dealers price are a bit too high.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Miguel

Good news for you, if you only need 1 bushing. Buy them cheap on line from Park Place Lexus in Plano Texas. The site is newlexusparts.com check the on line "Body parts" catalog for pictures and prices. Other people on this site told me about them and I got parts from them cheap and fast.

Good luck

goodluck with bushings, because if they are anything similar to my 240 there a bi!@#. and to do it yourself is quite timely just because you need to get a hold of a press or a shop with a press. and for those places to do labor is quite expensive. and i dont know if you can even just buy the bushings themselves, because there isnt too much of an aftermarket tuner crowd for our cars so there will probably be just whole arms with bushings from the dealers. because 240sx' you can just buy bushing themselves from other places and save the money instead of buying a whole brand new arm which is still fine. if anyone knows of a bushings dealer for our es's please feel free to chime in. one spot that might come to me would be whiteline.

Goodluck

Dude they aint nothin like your Nissan 240 drifting machine. Tuners install poly bushings not rubber ones, but it would be stupid to ruin the Lexus ride quality with hard poly bushings. What year is your es300?

I found them at a lexus dealer for 22.00$ for two of them I will get a mechanic to do the job but just for the sake of conversation, is it difficult to do it by your self.? hey P thanks for the site already bookmark it for future reference.....

Thanks a lot Dude..

I found them at a lexus dealer for 22.00$ for two of them I will get a mechanic to do the job but just for the sake of conversation, is it difficult to do it by your self.?

If they are the bushings I am thinking of then yes, it is easy to do.

post-3960-1140752377_thumb.jpg

The one holding the stabilizer bar right? on the rear.

The rubber swaybar bushings are verry easy to replace! It's #14 in the attached pictire.

-remove the wheel for better access

-remove 2 bolts holding the sway bar bushing bracket (#13pictured)

-slide the old bushing out (factory bushings are split down the side to make make it easy to install w/o having to remove the sway bar)

-make sure you grease the inside of the new bushing before you reinstall

-reverse the procedure to reinstall everything

newlexusparts.com has those bushings for $9ea (92-96ES3) free shipping

Hi,

I have a 99 ES300 with the exact the same noise as Miguel have described "when you go over a bump or somenthing simlar it sound as if you have somenthing on your trunk, like a groceries rolling around after a sharp turn that is the exact feeling and sound."

Do you think my trouble also come from the rubber swaybar bushings?

Thank you in advanced,

an easy&cheap check is to buy a $5 can of silicone lube stray in any autopart store and spray the bushings then test drive to see if the noise lessens or is eliminated. my local toyota dealership even carry a relabeled silicone spray can that you can buy for this purpose/noises.

Yes RP those are the one, I will take at look down there tomorrow and see, how i could tackel this.

Dude those bushings are sooooo easy to replace.

If you can turn a wrench, you can change them.

Good Luck.

Yeah man I did replace them my self very easy........to replace, and the sound is gone :cheers:

RP, when you mention that they redesigned this in later models, it wouldn't apply to a 98 es300 then?

My problem would probably be the strut mount, the strut, or the swaybar bushing as mentioned later on. I guess I could use the silicon trick to narrow it down, but I am thinking the struts need to be replaced soon anyways.

post-3960-1140752653_thumb.jpg

Added picture of crossmember on 1994 ES300.

Yes RP those are the one, I will take at look down there tomorrow and see, how i could tackel this.

Dude those bushings are sooooo easy to replace.

If you can turn a wrench, you can change them.

Good Luck.

Yeah man I did replace them my self very easy........to replace, and the sound is gone :cheers:

Awesome :cheers: If only everything were that easy.