Changing Light Bulb On The Running Board?

madkow70

hello:

has anyone done the bulb change for the strip light on the running board?

not the ones that shoot to the ground "under" the board. but the two strips of lights on the board.

my driver side front one just went out.

i looked at it from underside and it looks like that i might have to take the whole running board out to change the light source. is it true???

help.

D.J.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I have the same drivers side front light out on my running board. My LX is at the dealer and the guy is checking to see if there is another way to replace the light. I will let you know what I find out!!!

:)

perhaps i should have updated my posting a while ago.

it's been about a year already.

i took the truck to Lexus dealership and they replaced it under warranty. no prob now. ^^

thank you anyway, Rudy. ^^ i really appreciate it.

it's good to know "somebody" will eventually try to help.

I have the same drivers side front light out on my running board. My LX is at the dealer and the guy is checking to see if there is another way to replace the light. I will let you know what I find out!!!

Let us know how much they charge for the bulb alone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
If you use the TIS, there is a TSIB explaining how to change the running board light.

LX Pearl, is there any way you can post these instructions so we can see them here if we are not on with the TSIB? (Actually, I'm not even sure what that is.)

Grant

• 4 weeks later...
If you use the TIS, there is a TSIB explaining how to change the running board light.

LX Pearl, is there any way you can post these instructions so we can see them here if we are not on with the TSIB? (Actually, I'm not even sure what that is.)

Grant

Yes, please. My dealer told me they would have to replace the entire running board, so if there is way to just change the bulb, that would be great.

Thanks.

Grant

Yes, please. My dealer told me they would have to replace the entire running board, so if there is way to just change the bulb, that would be great.

Thanks.

Replace the ENTIRE running board?!? Are you kidding me?? I have a 01' and all four of them went out in a one year span. Took it to the dealer to replace the buld. Materials and labor cast $80 each... Was searching for a way to replace them also, but couldn't figure it out.... Dude, don't replace the entire running board...

Replace the ENTIRE running board?!? Are you kidding me?? I have a 01' and all four of them went out in a one year span. Took it to the dealer to replace the buld. Materials and labor cast $80 each... Was searching for a way to replace them also, but couldn't figure it out.... Dude, don't replace the entire running board...

Ha - I didn't. I just don't use that side of the car at night so I don't have to see the burned out bulb.

Thanks for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 9 months later...

TSB: AX002-01 April 27, 2001. I have the pdf, but not sure how to post it. Here is a copy and paste of the text. Photos did not make it. It recommends removing the running board to replace the lights.

RUNNING BOARD !Removed!’Y: LIGHT BULB OR MODULE END REPLACEMENT – AX002-01 April 27, 2001
Page 2 of 4
1. Remove the 20-amp fuse “ECU B1” from the fuse box located under the hood with a fuse puller or disconnect the negative
battery cable at the battery.
2. With the straight screwdriver CAREFULLY pry the top clip of the vehicle electrical connector out of the front bracket so as not to damage the clip (see illustration). Disconnect the connectors.
3. Remove Running Board. Refer to TSIB No. AX004-00, Running Board Installation Instructions. Follow steps 1 – 7 in the section Platform
Replacement Procedure: Remove Current Running Board.
CAUTION:
Do NOT lift the running board by the top of the endcaps (above light pipes).
4. Place the running board on a clean, protected surface.
5. Turn the back ribbed end of the module counterclockwise one quarter turn and pull away from the module body.
CAUTION:
If the reflector falls out of the module, handle ONLY while wearing cotton gloves.
6. Wearing cotton gloves, reach into the light module and extract the silver reflector bowl.

Installation Procedure
RUNNING BOARD !Removed!’Y: LIGHT BULB OR MODULE END REPLACEMENT – AX002-01 April 27, 2001
Page 3 of 4
7. If changing the bulb only: Wearing cotton gloves, wiggle the bulb loose, and replace with the new bulb by wiggling back and forth while exerting a slight pressure until seated.
8. If changing the module end: Disconnect the electrical connector of the module end from the wiring harness, and replace with the new module end.
NOTE: To replace the module end in the rear endcap, the tie wrap at the wiring connector to the aluminum L–bracket must be cut off and replaced.
9. Still wearing cotton gloves, replace the silver reflector over the bulb until seated and replace the module end into the module body. Apply a slight pressure and turn clockwise one quarter turn ensuring the locking tab on the module end is fully engaged in the hook on the module body. Pull to check that it is seated and engaged.
NOTE: Be sure that the “O” ring is installed on the module end before installation.
10. Reinstall running board to vehicle. Refer to TSIB No. AX004-00, Running Board Installation Instructions. Follow steps 1 – 6 under Installation Procedure: Installation & Alignment Procedure.
Installation Procedure (Continued)
Page 4 of 4
1. Adjust the entire running board assembly to allow the front fascia flap’s inner surface to rest on the front cladding fastener mounting surface. Hand start the 10 mm self-tapping mud flap screw through the front running board face. Align the running board to blend with the cladding.
2. Clip together wiring harness connectors. Also, snap vehicle wire harness into top front bracket slot.
3. With a 13 mm socket, torque the 8 mm fasteners of the rear brackets to the following specifications:Torque: 12 ftlbs (16 Nm)
4. With a 13mm socket, torque the 8 mm fasteners of the middle brackets. Torque: 12 ftlbs (16 Nm)
5. With a 13mm socket, torque the 8 mm fasteners of the front brackets. Torque: 12 ftlbs (16 Nm)
6. Tighten 10 mm self-tapping screw in front endcap.
7. Adjust front and rear endcap into rocket. Tighten down the 7/16” nuts on all the brackets. Torque the fasteners to the following:
Torque: 8 ftlbs (11 Nm)
8. Reinstall the air conditioning shroud cover over the two air conditioning lines. Use a 10 mm 3/8” drive deep socket (right–hand side only).
9. Reinstall the 20-amp fuse “ECU B1” in the fuse box located under the hood or reconnect the battery cable to the battery.
10. Check running board lights.

Edited by LXPearl

• 1 month later...

I have seen a number of posts for this question, but have not seen anyone post pictures of how to fix it. I spent many years with no running board lights because I did not understand how to fix this problem. The quotes from dealers are ridiculous. Most do not know how to fix it. The strips are lit by one bulb in a housing at each end of the running board (right next to each wheel). So there are four bulbs in total. You do not need to remove the running board to replace the bulb. I ordered Bulbrite 715210 - 10 Watt - T3 bulbs from 1000bulbs.com to replace each bulb. I had to order 10. I have read that the #891replacement automotive bulbs will also work but I have not tested.

Remove the bolt (in the front of the running board) and clip (in the back) and pull the top eadg of the running board out (it will flex). You will see a black housing for the bulb. Turn the housing to release the wired end. It may be hard to turn. It has fins to help get a grip on it. You may end up breaking the fins. Once the housing is open, remove the bulb and replace it. I removed the o seal, cleaned it and put some Vasoline on it for a better seal before I closed it up. The Bulbrite bulb is bigger than the opening in the reflector, so you will have to put the reflector on first then plug in the new bulb.

Here is the front of the running board.

post-24507-0-44645100-1392415575_thumb.j

Here is the back of the running board:

post-24507-0-98298300-1392415666_thumb.j

Here is the bulb housing after removing the cap:

post-24507-0-17206500-1392415694_thumb.j

Here is the housing with just the bulb:

post-24507-0-62061100-1392415757_thumb.j

Here is the bulb:

post-24507-0-60091900-1392415804_thumb.j

Here is the reflector:

post-24507-0-86763300-1392415861_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

dasgeek,

Thanks for the simple approach with photos! The photos are an improvement over the TSIB drawings. I had tried what you describe, but when I found the bulb end hard to remove, I hesitated, based on the instructions in the TSIB fcalling for removing the running board to do the lights. I will now do your approach and continue.

Per TSIB:

- Bulb = PT212-60001-01

- Module end cap w/ bulb = PT212-60002-01

(I suspect the module assy is for those who break it trying to change the bulb?).

PS: I was looking at an 06LX a few months ago and it had a different design though generally similar in appearance to my 2001 running board. On it, the puddle lights appeared to have separate bulbs from the fiber optic lights.