Headlights Dimming

TnLex13

Hi all,

I think this might be my first topic on this board so here is a little about my car.

-98 ES 102,000 miles on the od

-2006 GS300 rims (ebay)

-urethane front swaybar bushings (uninstalled until it warms up)

-cerwin vega 8" dvc 4-ohm woofer (running at 2-ohms) in rear deck with lots of sound deadening.

Nothing special, but I love her :cheers:

Anyway, I have noticed my headlights dimming when I idle (they get brighter with engine speed) and when my anti-lock brakes cycle on when I slide on the ice.

It is only the headlights though and none of the interior lights?

Is this a voltage regulator, an alternator, or both?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Hi all,

I think this might be my first topic on this board so here is a little about my car.

-98 ES 102,000 miles on the od

-2006 GS300 rims (ebay)

-urethane front swaybar bushings (uninstalled until it warms up)

-cerwin vega 8" dvc 4-ohm woofer (running at 2-ohms) in rear deck with lots of sound deadening.

Nothing special, but I love her :cheers:

Anyway, I have noticed my headlights dimming when I idle (they get brighter with engine speed) and when my anti-lock brakes cycle on when I slide on the ice.

It is only the headlights though and none of the interior lights?

Is this a voltage regulator, an alternator, or both?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Weak battery or low alternator output.

Put a digital voltmeter on the battery, run the engine about 2K RPM, the meter should read above 14.2 volts.

If it does the alternator is OK and the battery is weak, if it's below 14.2 volts it's the alternator not putting out enough.

Hello,

I have '97 and it's dimm headlight for second when anti-brake kicks in.

I thinks that's common.

mine did that when i had normal h7's in it... and it used to dim for a second after i back out of the drive and started to go foward...i dont know if it was of limate control or what but it use to..

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll get the battery and alt. checked as soon as possible.

At least I know that mine is not the only one that does this.

i got a question does our batter take up your entire battery tray? cause i can put a can of dr. pepper in mine beside the battery...

It is NORMAL, SOP.

I have not yet driven any modern day car wherein the headlight lever doesn't drop slightly at idle. Have you looked at all of the eelctrical load these cars must carry? And keep in mind that the current draw of the ABS pumpmotor is substantial so a lower headlight level then is completely understandable.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll get the battery and alt. checked as soon as possible.

At least I know that mine is not the only one that does this.

i got a question does our batter take up your entire battery tray? cause i can put a can of dr. pepper in mine beside the battery...

Yeah, mine takes up the entire tray. Its a lexus battery.