Is350 Ticking Sound

I am new to the forum, but i think the sound you are referring to is the solenoid for the air intake. I may be way off base but the sound is identical to several other vehicles I have owned and I had asked several mechanics who all told me it was the air intake solenoid which opens and closes a butterfly value that allows air to flow into the intake manifold.

Like I said, I may be 100% wrong but its what I have been told...

EDIT: Or possibly the solenoids in the Fuel Injectors?

If it's a ticking sound when the engine is idling, you can also hear it when you pull up next to a wall or somehing like going through a fast food drive thru, then it's the sound made by the direct injectors. It's similar to what you hear from a diesel but not as loud. That's not a problem. Every one that has one that I've talked to (over 40 people) have the ticking.

If it's a ticking sound when the engine is idling, you can also hear it when you pull up next to a wall or somehing like going through a fast food drive thru, then it's the sound made by the direct injectors. It's similar to what you hear from a diesel but not as loud. That's not a problem. Every one that has one that I've talked to (over 40 people) have the ticking.

Everyone with an IS350 or just everyone in general?

I felt it in the car when I was in Idle but then I opened the hood, and it was really loud.

Everyone with an IS350 or just everyone in general?

I felt it in the car when I was in Idle but then I opened the hood, and it was really loud.

Everyone with an IS350. Once we found out what it was, we weren't concerned about it. If you pull off the top engine cover you'll see that there's some pretty heavy sound deadening insluation on the bottom of it. That's the reason. The cover on the IS300 didn't have that thick sound deadener.

Thank you all for helping me out with this.

I went to the dealer today and he did tell me its the injectors and it is standard.

I even saw another 350 there and it had the same thing.

The guy that ownes the car said he didn't have the noise but when we lifted the hood he heard it.

I am very sensitive for this kind of stuff and for me it is too loud.

If I come back home at midnight to my parking garage and I sit in the car for 2 minutes it starts to bug me too much and I just turn it off.

Hope you guys don't care for it as much as I do.

Eli

Guess what,

IF I WANTED A HARLEY OR ANY OTHER THING THAT MAKE NOISE, I WOULD BUY ONE.

I ride a motorcycle too, and in my opinion a Lexus should be more quiet!

I went to the dealer and he said that ALOT of people complained.

I bought a Lexus for the quietness of it.

P.S.

I got a bit used to it, so no biggie.

• 3 weeks later...

At the bottom of this article's first page, the vvt and the engine noise is explained:

Road and Track Article

Guess what,

IF I WANTED A HARLEY OR ANY OTHER THING THAT MAKE NOISE, I WOULD BUY ONE.

I ride a motorcycle too, and in my opinion a Lexus should be more quiet!

I went to the dealer and he said that ALOT of people complained.

I bought a Lexus for the quietness of it.

P.S.

I got a bit used to it, so no biggie.

• 2 weeks later...

Here

I also hear a ticking noise, but mine is coming from the door/seatbelt. The dealer had a look at it and for some time it was not there anymore until I went over some bumps again and then it returned.

I guess I have to go back to the dealer.

• 3 weeks later...

yes, i hear a ticking sound w/ my new IS350, i took it to 2 dealerships and they said it was normal, told me it was the fuel injectors. i still didnt believe till i read that all fo u hear it too

Here

I also hear a ticking noise, but mine is coming from the door/seatbelt. The dealer had a look at it and for some time it was not there anymore until I went over some bumps again and then it returned.

I guess I have to go back to the dealer.

I would think that for the amount of money we pay for these cars, they could eliminate the ticking. I'm tired of explaining it to friends and have them walk away shaking their heads. And I've only had mine for a month!

It is wierd.

The GS has it too!

a car that cost 60k-70k has a ticking sound!

I already gave up on mine (350 IS) with the noise thing.

I left the car at the dealers for 2 days and told him to call the factory,

and I even spoke to the Lexus main tech in the U.S. and they cant do anything.

We are NOT the only ones that complain.

They have houndreds every day.

we have to deal with it.

Is it 100% luxury? no!

Is it 100% sport? no!

Do we love it? Yes

But I would save a bit more and go with sport/luxury car that has more HP, better handling and

no engine noise such as a BMW M3.

• 1 month later...

this sound *BLEEP*es me off greatly! you'd think that for the $37,000 i paid for my new IS250, i would get a silent engine...i also own a 2003 Nissan Altima that is as quiet as a mouse when running....if Nissan can produce an engine that's quiet, why can't Lexus? I'm tired of friends asking me what that ticking is and looking at me like I'm crazy when I explain that it's "normal"....lexus needs to fix this or i'll be buying a BMW next time!

• 1 month later...

The 250 makes the same sound. Yes it is due to the direct fuel injection systems

I've never heard this, but I haven't had my hood open while the engine is running. I'm usually driving it!! Oh, and I have a 250.......

• 12 years later...