Front End Clicking Noise

jstansel

I have taken my 2002 RX300 to the Dealer 3 times for a clicking noise eminating from the front wheels only when I turn. The clicking is on the left side when I turn right and on the right side when I turn left. Has anyone else had this problem? The dealer can't seem to figure it out! I bought this car brand new and have diligently maintained it. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME IDEA AS TO WHAT IT MIGHT BE!!!! :huh:

As mentioned above, the odds are great that it's your CV joints. The rubber boots break down and wear out, your lubricating grease escapes, you're left with metal rubbing on metal, and that's what you're hearing when you turn. It's especially noticable when cutting the steering wheel sharply while rolling at low speeds. If your dealership can't figure this out, they're pretty damn stupid since this is a very common problem.

Either CV's or the axle bearings themselves. Normally, one will fail before the other referring to left and right sides..

As a general rule, CV's fail on one side and make noise ONLY on that side. Bearing fail on one side and the noise is normally on the opposite of the turn you are making. Reason... there is more lateral force on the outside tire (bearing). So when you turn left there is more pressure and force on the right bearing and that is why you hear the noise on the other side of the direction your turning.

Axle Shaft CV's don't carry lateral force. So they make noise on tight turns on the side they are bad on no matter which direction you turn.

Based on that, it sounds like your bearing are failing to me...

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious if you ever got this issue resolved and if so, what did they find and what did it cost you? I too have a '99 RX300 that was experiencing the same issue only now I no longer hear that problem when I turn the wheel sharply, instead, anytime I go over a bump the car sounds terrible!! The whole thing squeeks and creeks...........

There is a Technical Service Bulletin for the front strut mount rubber bushings. The factory-installed bushings were improperly designed and poorly made. The replacement bushings fit better into their housings and are heavier-duty. This topic has been discussed multiple times on this forum. Do a search using "strut mount rubber bushing failure" and you should be directed to these threads with all the information you'll need to get your problem resolved.

I took advantage of this TSB in January 2005 and had the new design installed in my wife's 2000 RX300 at Lexus's expense. The squeaking, cracking, and popping sounds (particularly during cold temperatures) immediately ceased. Having this TSB applied to your vehicle should solve this particular problem for you.

No, my wife's vehicle was out of warranty at the time, around 79,000 miles. Lexus has what is called a "goodwill warranty" policy that they can apply in situations where the vehicle is beyond the warranty period/miles but the customer deserves assistance due to a problem beyond his/her control. Because our vehicle has been so problematic (along with the fact that I will battle the dealership to the ends of the earth if I feel a quality control problem or design flaw is involved), our local Lexus service manager has worked very well with me over the past couple of years and has fixed every major problem that has arisen on her dime, not mine. Had I been charged for these various repairs, it would have cost me more than $9,000 thus far. I never hesitate to thank her for her time and consideration, and I have yet to pay Lexus a penny for any of these various repairs. The vehicle is currently pushing 105,000 miles.

You should ask your local Lexus service manager for the courtesy of replacing your existing strut mount rubber bushings at no charge (or perhaps at a reduced charge) since it is a well-known and undeniable problem. Be sure that this particular Technical Service Bulletin applies to your model year - I know that it applies to 1999 and 2000 models, but I'm not certain about the later models of the RX300 before it became the RX330. The original bushings were improperly designed and of poor quality and Lexus knows it. It's worth a phone call to ask - be polite, be professional, but be firm. Refer to Technical Service Bulletin SU002-99, "Front Suspension Support Noise". Good luck to you.

Thank you to "Everyone" who has replied to my problem! I plan on getting the SUV back to Lexus ASAP and can now argue some good points. I finally feel like I have something to go in on. I promise to get back with everyone to let them know what happens and if it actually get fixed.

JoDell

In other cars, a clicking that only occurs during turns is a CV joint. The one variable that you don't give us is mileage. Typcially these situations occur in the vicinity of 100000 miles in my experience. Have your dealer eliminate the CV joints before you go too much further.

Gary

• 1 month later...

Well, finally got my RX300 back to the dealer and they FINALLY found what the "clicking" noise is that is coming from the frontend. They are replacing both axles!! Wow, how ironic, while in Colorado last year on vacation I had my car into a dealer for service and they told me that both axles needed replacing but it would be fine to drive back home to Texas. I took the car in immediately to get the axles replaced and since last year the dealer in Houston has been telling me the axles where fine. Well I guess it must be pretty bad now because they are replacing them. Thanks to everyone who responded to my front end "clicking" noise. Hopefully this will help someone else if they have the same problem.