93-95 Gs300 Reliability

Hi,

I am looking into a daily driver to replace my E30 325is. I need something bigger, which is why I'm selling my car. I looked into BMW E34 5-series and now researching the Lexus line-up a bit. I want to spend about $6-8000 and need a car to be dependable, foremost. Good gas mileage and good highway cruiser would be nice, also.

How does the GS fair? I priced out the 93-95 GS300's and it's right in my price range. They've all got 80k-100k miles on them, which I'm guessing to Toyota motors, it's nothing. I like the looks of 98+ GS's, but they seem to be out of my budget.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Hi,

I am looking into a daily driver to replace my E30 325is. I need something bigger, which is why I'm selling my car. I looked into BMW E34 5-series and now researching the Lexus line-up a bit. I want to spend about $6-8000 and need a car to be dependable, foremost. Good gas mileage and good highway cruiser would be nice, also.

How does the GS fair? I priced out the 93-95 GS300's and it's right in my price range. They've all got 80k-100k miles on them, which I'm guessing to Toyota motors, it's nothing. I like the looks of 98+ GS's, but they seem to be out of my budget.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

I have a 1993 gs300 with 140,000 on it, no problems at all.......I just purchased a 1996 Cadillac STS with 140,000 and I will tell you nothing but problem, altenators, egr vavles, fpr all sorts of crap...I will never go back to amrican again!

You must realize, Lexus is a great company overall. As far as it being dependable/realiable...the only problem I have ever had with my car is the battery dieing, and that was before I replaced the 7 year old battery that was in it. The only reason it died was because the guys that were tinting my windows didnt disconnect it and they left all the doors open. The gas mileage...at least on my 96' is pretty good...about 18-20 city and about 25-27 highway depending on how I drive. Lately I have been getting really bad gas mileage, but its all my fault. Anyway, I say go test drive it and see if its the car for you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a 1993 gs 300 with 180,000mi and knock on wood its been an outstanding car never once has it not started. as far as repairs go only the seperation of outside window molding on drivers side and a driver side passenger window motor has needed repair.

In short I'd buy another in a heart beat if the price was right.I also own a 1998 sc300 and similar results.As far as I am concerned Lexus is the gold standard.

On the other hand I owned a similar year mercedes E300 and it was the worst car i have ever owned a stone cold piece of crap unreliable and frequent and varied costly repairs.

I understand BMW are not much better.

i