New Vs. Old

corky

Maybe it's because I don't like change or perhaps it's just that I think my '98 ES300 is sooo classy and pretty but who else feels the 2002 body change isn't REALLY to their liking ? I love and miss that "new car" smell and excitement but it's hard to let go......

I agree. I was a little concerned when I found out the ES was going to be redesigned for 2002, as I had just purchased my 2001 ES. I like the options and features on the newer models, but they don't seem to look a lot different from the Camry, at least not as much as the older models did.

Not that anyone is interested in my thoughts.. But I actually do like the new style.. But I just think that they sit way too high in the air.. They definately need to be lowered and a body kit put on them.. If you have seen the new Camry Sport, you will know what I mean.. I dont know why they do it with the stock models, they always sit way too high, and they look very bouncy for my liking?

:ph34r: Chris :ph34r:

I obviously love the new style as I purchased one. It takes a lot of getting used to, but I love it now. I get a lot of compliments on it, its really a unique looking car.

As for looking like the Camry, I think the older models look a lot more like their Camry counterparts than the current one. The only similarity I can see is in Size, and a family resemblence you're going to see with all Toyota models.

I honestly was never interested in the old model ESs, the only one that I found appealing was the 00-01, and I dislike the interior on it, its too bland and somewhat cheap. To me it always looked and felt like an entry level car. The new one however looks and feel much more expensive. I'd say the buying public has agreed, because they sell far more new ones than they did old ones.

i agree with sw03es. i didn't really like the old model es, thought it looked too plain, but once they redesigned it, i really liked it, which is why i got it :P what i noticed was there's not a lot of middle ground on this car, people either really like the new design or hate the new design. but a lot of people who originally dislike the new design end up switching their minds after getting used to the car. but yea, i guess the es is always going to look pretty dang similar to the camry <_<

I didn't like it at first either. I think that with the exception of the 1st generation ES300, they have all looked too much like the Camry, especially the 97-01. I think that as a luxury brand, Lexus should have it's own look, even if it borrows from Toyota.

I recently saw a new ES300 parked right next to a new Camry, and they are definitely different. The ES seems larger and much more refined in its styling. (I really like the Black version).

I had the pleasure of driving one ('03) recently as a loaner and I was VERY impressed w/ the interior. This is by far the nicest interior Lexus has put in the ES to date. I thought the engine was slightly underpowered for the weight of the car, but that may change if they put the 330 engine in there. Overall, it is a very nice ride.

Call me a convert, but I like it.

yeah i dont like the new ES design either. both me and my dad think it looks cheap. it doesnt look like a lexus.

Quite the contrary in my experience, people tend to think its a much more expensive car than it actually is.

Oh yeah, opinions are like *BLEEP*s, everyone has one, and they all smell ;)

As for the new E Class, like you I'm kinda on the fence about it. I mean, from the front end the car looks great, but the rear end misses the mark, and the interior seems more sporty than luxurious. Even in the basic E320 trim it seems this way to me as well.

Lexus is going to do something like this to the GS too, we'll wait and see how that turns out.

I fell in love with the old style the first time I saw it. I didn't have the same visceral response to the new one. I just test drove a 2003 and it definately feels like a more substantial and luxurious vehicle. I want one.

:cheers:

well hear i go butting in another conversation!lol.at first i thought the new es was just to big and looked way to much like the camry.i still think it looks to much like the camry on the outside but on the inside its way nicer.i think the black is the best color for the new ones but thats just me.the other colors just make it look even bigger and more clunkier.i drove the 03 last week at the dealer when i got my gs back from being fixed and i thought it would have more power and i dont like the way it shifts gears but i guess it takes getting used too.overall it needs a little more power and i think lexus agrees because they are going to start putting in the 3.3 correct?and i also think it lost that sleek look that the older ones have and they need to maybe do something with that.doors just look to big!anyway still a nice car and looks more expensive then it is.as for sales being more now then before its simple.people thought the es was more money years ago then it was and now they are starting to realize thru word of mouth and advertizing its not as much as they thought and acually pretty cheap compaired to some others.

first of all.. i really like the interior of the new ES look so much like an LS.... but for sure not the exterior, of the newer ES.. they dont got the "Frame LESS door/window" any more..(which i like the most) also the body-line of the newer ES look too similiar to the Domsetic such as FORD Tarus and Crys Interperi. look to much like a "boat"

See, i think the car looks much clunkier in black because its so stark. I like it in dark, but not stark like that.

As for sales being up because "people have heard its not as expensive as they thought", no, not really lol. Anyone who shops in this class knows the ES300 is an entry level car. Its people who don't that think its more expensive than it is. Its cross shopped with the C Class, I Infiniti, 3 series and low 5 series BMWs, Acura TL etc.

The reason sales are up over the previous ones is simple, it fulfills the needs and wants of the buyer better. It wooes more buyers away from the BMW and Mercedes offerings. It offers affordability while offering the best interior in its class, and the best ride. One thing that really attracted me to it is the fact that it doesn't look like an economy car. Look at the C Class Benz, 3 Series BMW, and the I35 Infiniti. They look short, and overly tall, like an economy car. The ES looks large and better proportioned. So does the Acura TL.

If you read all the reviews for the car vs the reviews for the old ones, its the first time any of the automotive press has even remotely liked the ES300. Its just simply a better fit for the buyers than the old ones. Best thing is, its more expensive too. In fact, its almost the most expensive in its class, being $10,000 more than the Acura TL. And its STILL the best seller. Thats really saying something.

I'm an automotive analyst as a hobby, and as a living. Trust me, people don't get confused about the pricing of cars thinking they're too expensive to buy. Car companies dont allow that on entry models like the ES.

As for the frameless windows, those are something that the focus groups said they wanted gone. The new ES is 100% a product of focus groups of consumers and previous ES owners.

• 3 weeks later...

The 2002 certainly represents a changing of the guard. The 1992 - 2001 series of Lexus is gorgeous to me, but they represent the past. The 2002 reminds me of the 2002 Camry and the 2000 Avalon, especially the headlights and taillights, I think. The car looks a little too much like a pregnant guppy, not that that would stop me from getting one if I could afford it.

I will stick with the 92-01 Lexus style for awhile. They are beautiful, functional, and affordable. I would love to replace my second car with a Lexus, too. It is a 1996 Saturn. I'll take an older Lexus any day!

o man, a pregnant guppy!! :lol: i must agree, i sure do love the 2001 es, being as i have a 92, the newer ones are what i would want (similar looking but updated and attractive)

the headlights on the new es 300 remind me of those new sunglasses that go OVER the head....*shiver* i hate it so.

and if i could afford a new Lexus, i would get a GS i think.....i just want to kiss it..so purdy,so purdy. then again, if i could afford a Lexus, id probably just buy 2 jeeps instead and keep the old one ;) why get new when u can spruce up the old? (unless the old is a FREAKING LEMON AHH!)

too emotion in my posts eh :blink:

We went to dinner and a movie with some friends tonight. When we came out, there was a 2001 Coach ES300 parked next to mine, black with black interior. Seeing the two cars right next to each other really opened my eyes.

No offense, but the old one is really really boring next to the new one.

The new one is much larger (wider, longer and taller), sleeker, has more interesting lines, a nicer interior. Seeing the two front ends really makes me appreciate the new design. The 01 could be anything, its pedestrian and ordinary. The new one however is different and unique. Heavier and more substantial looking.

Again, not meant to insult anyone, we all have our opinions.

No offense, but the old one is really really boring next to the new one.

The 01 could be anything, its pedestrian and ordinary. The new one however is different and unique. Heavier and more substantial looking.

Well of course you're going to say this! :rolleyes: ;)

I love my 98 ES. I loved my 92 ES. My next Lexus will be a GS.

I've already promised myself that. That car is simply orgasmic to me ;)

As for the re-designed ES, personally I think it sits too high on it's frame. The new design just doesn't appeal to me. I will not deny that it's a beautiful vehicle - altho I have yet to drive one or sit inside one, I can only imagine that it's luscious. But I still prefer the older styles (And yes, of course I'm going to say that!)

Bottom line (to me) is that all Lexus vehicles are beautiful, luxurious and classy. Period.

Compare the 92-01 Lexus to the boring Camry for a month of Sundays - it's still not a Camry ;)

Olezip: I'll take an older Lexus any day as well. Except any of the SUVs. Not a fan of those at all (as much as I love Lexus).

Just my .02

I never found the SUVs appealing either until the new RX330, its a great looking vehicle with a lot of great features.

Also, might come as a surprise but I don't overly care for the GS. I like the look of the car, and I seriously considered it before I got the ES, because the lease payments were similar, and I didnt find that the car gelled well with me at all. I didnt find the seats comfortable, found it not quite as quiet or smooth as the ES or the LS (although thats what makes it sportier), just not my kinda car. Beautiful, but I prefer the ES or the LS. My next car will be an LS, maybe when the 2006 redesign comes out, or 2007 to let the bugs work through.

What annoys me most about the new model (and will probably preventme from getting another) is that they did away with that lower plastic panel on either side. The 2-tone color scheme is what orignally distinguished the ES (and other Lexus) from the less-premium cars AND it offered far more ding protection than the strip they have now. Looks a lot cheaper! My 2 cents.

See thats another peice of focus group engineering. Most people don't like the two toned or the plastic cladding. Notice now on all Lexus models, LS, RX, ES they're all one toned by popular demand. Several members here have theirs painted all one color...

I liked the two toned too, i think it looked good on the previous ESes and the LS, RX too but two toning wouldn't have worked for the new model.

The 2-tone color scheme is what orignally distinguished the ES (and other Lexus) from the less-premium cars AND it offered far more ding protection than the strip they have now. 

I agree.

However I'll probably have these panels on mine painted to match the rest of the exterior in 6-12 months. :rolleyes: