External Transmission Filter

SupraMan

My thinking is that adding an inline external transmission filter would be a good idea for A/T longevity, so I bought one. It has a magnet inside as a bonus. Question ... I think the line going to the passenger side radiator inlet is where it should be located, BUT is the flow going into the rad there or exiting?

I also have a kit with transmission internal filter and gasket, going to do it all at the same time with the filter addition. My '96 ES has 100k, loving care from first and present (me!) owners. The 2nd owner was a slug, but thankfully just had it for 30k miles. I wanted to hit the reset on all the fluids and did so at mileage of 90k purchase (only paid $5500, a steal). That included a transmission flush. I thought that the 120k recommendation of cleaning the filter would be fine, but decided to do it now a little early in conjunction with the filter addition. Will there be around 4 quarts of ATF to replace when I do so?

This is my first listing here, I've enjoyed reading the posts. Actually, I think it's awesome that a guy can ask a question and get several opinions from knowledgeable people who do it every day for a trade. My car stable has had 3 modded Turbo Supras (!) in the last 15 years, so I'm no stranger to the quality (and performance) Toyota produces. Thanks in advance for your input, guys n gals! :cheers:

My thinking is that adding an inline external transmission filter would be a good idea for A/T longevity, so I bought one. It has a magnet inside as a bonus. Question ... I think the line going to the passenger side radiator inlet is where it should be located, BUT is the flow going into the rad there or exiting?

I also have a kit with transmission internal filter and gasket, going to do it all at the same time with the filter addition. My '96 ES has 100k, loving care from first and present (me!) owners. The 2nd owner was a slug, but thankfully just had it for 30k miles. I wanted to hit the reset on all the fluids and did so at mileage of 90k purchase (only paid $5500, a steal). That included a transmission flush. I thought that the 120k recommendation of cleaning the filter would be fine, but decided to do it now a little early in conjunction with the filter addition. Will there be around 4 quarts of ATF to replace when I do so?

This is my first listing here, I've enjoyed reading the posts. Actually, I think it's awesome that a guy can ask a question and get several opinions from knowledgeable people who do it every day for a trade. My car stable has had 3 modded Turbo Supras (!) in the last 15 years, so I'm no stranger to the quality (and performance) Toyota produces. Thanks in advance for your input, guys n gals! :cheers:

Welcome to the club :cheers:

The filter goes on the return line, That would be on the passenger side. While your at it install a tranny cooler. Install it on the same side as the filter.

Thanks for the cooler suggestions, good stuff guys. Based upon the other forum comments, I think I'm getting a B&M Supercooler. From what the thread said, I need to connect the cooler to the output side of the radiator cooler (I'm located in the sunny South, y'all!). Does it matter which side of the radiator the Supercooler is physically mounted to?

Yes it does matter ,other wise you would just reheat the fluid you just cooled.

Coolers can help but your tranny does need heat to work as well.

The filter also has to be put in the right direction also of the bypass valve will not work either if it gets plugged.

Heat is not a problem i seem to have so i do not want to add a cooler especially since it can lead to a pressure drop .

Just by turning the A/c on you can lower the temp of the trany fluid by 20-30 degrees which is a great reduction in stop and go traffic which is where it ts needed most.