Need Advice! Ls400

dantefr1

Hello, I'm new to this forum and was refered here by a member on my Mercedes Forum. I currently drive a 1993 Mercedes S500/500SEL and a 1999 Mercedes S500 Grand Edition and want to sell my 1993 and purchase a 1999 or 2000 Lexus LS400. I need some advice on what to stay away from, and what a good price to pay would be. I want a Black one with either tan or Black interior and a wood steering wheel!! I also want a Navigation system and chrome Lexus symbols, not gold. I'd like to find one with less than 80,000 miles, and in perfect shape cosmetically, (I know all Lexus are perfect mechanically). What do you think a fair price to pay would be? Also, is there anything I should check before purchasing one? Common problems? Any information anyone can give me would be great!! I love the look of the Lexus LS400 and the repair bills will be a nice treat from my Mercedes.... haha I look forward to hearing from you!!

Thanks in advance!

-Dante

I've also included a picture of my 1993 Mercedes S500 just incase anyone here is interested..... Although, I doubt it.... :lol:post-23497-1139866162_thumb.jpg

Since this is your first Lexus. I would go to a Lexus Dealer and have him find you a CPO, 2000 Platinum. They have the database....then deal, deal, deal. You will pay extra..no doubt, but the peace of mind is worth it. IMHO...That would mean about $2K over Book...No more. Lexus service is great, under warranty, and you can't go wrong, if you have the bucks to swing it. Some guys here will check the Blue Book or you can do it yourself. They don"t sell CPO unless they are A-1 and have a full service history.

I would go to a Lexus Dealer and have him find you a CPO, 2000 Platinum.

The 2000 LS400 is no longer available under the Lexus CPO program and Nav updates are no longer available for the 98-00 LS400. If Nav is important to you, consider an LS430 or an aftermarket Nav system.

I agree, CPO due to the age is out of scope. However.....Rf is right....find a Lexus dealership that has a 2000 model for sale, pay the extra fund$.

Here is what you do for a 2000 model. You show up at the dealership asking to see a CPO 2000 model. They tell you that (a) the one over there is "knowing it's not, as 1990 is right" thinking you'll sign the check before it's disclosed.....or...and this is the one you want to buy.....you buy from an HONEST dealership "like Johnson Lexus of Raleigh, plug plug...you bet...." and the salesman tells you the truth that the age is out of scope for CPO, but "that one over there" would be one if it were a 2001. So you look at that one, like it? Oh yeah, you'll LOVE IT. Then you make an offer for full window sticker offer, contingent upon 3 things...trust me, you'll be the winner here.

1) Since the dealership "feels" it should be a CPO; make them pony up to it with a 90 day-3,000k bumper-to-bumper warranty.

2) the 90k service is done for free, especially the water pump and timing belt "A MUST"

3) you make it clear to them that you understand it's a used car, and that you expect problems, even if it is a Lexus, and you're willing to pay the price to fix the components outside of their warranty.

Are there problems with these cars? Yep....they're man made...can you find a perfect used LS400 out there? Nope....they're man made...Can you HAVE a perfect LS400? YEP!! You just have to understand the right questions to ask...

Go buy one under those conditions and come back to here.....we'll save you Thousands of dollars in restoration charges.

Mine is a 95. These boys here will tell you that I'm commited...if not that I SHOULD be commited for it.

Come drive my car...you'll love it!

By the way...that Benz is sweeeeeet!!! I want one. Thinking that might be my next project. :cheers:

Trying to decide between that, and a 850ci.....before kids show up and I'm doomed to a station wagon..

wait, didn't they make a M5 in the station wagon? Oh sweet Jesus, look out school bus driver.

I would go to a Lexus Dealer and have him find you a CPO, 2000 Platinum.

The 2000 LS400 is no longer available under the Lexus CPO program and Nav updates are no longer available for the 98-00 LS400. If Nav is important to you, consider an LS430 or an aftermarket Nav system.

Thanks for your help. I'm looking to find on on ebay, or from one of my local Lexus dealers. I don't necessarily need the car to be CPO, but that would be nice. Money is a bit of an issue so i don't want to spend more than $17,000. I don't NEED the navigation, but I def. want it! I would also like a Nakamichi (Spelling) radio. They sound so perfect! I just started my search, and it will probably be at least 5 months before I actually buy. I always wait until I can find the best deal..... Thanks for all your help! and if anyone is interested in my 93 Benz, let me know!! It truly is one of the most beautiful cars ever built, at least thats my opinion..... Thanks again!

-Dante

Thanks guys for bailing me out and you have definitely offered a blanket of advice. I was not aware CPO had a 6 year limit. dantefr1 That 93 S500 is a beautiful car and I think one of the best Mercedes has made in the last 2 decades. If $17k is your budget, then I would hold onto the Merc and wait for awhile until you could see your way clear to a 2002+ 430. You know your car and unless there is a major problem looming on the horizon with it, I would, personally, keep it for awhile and take the time to become more familiar with Lexus. Warning!!! They will grow on you. Another warning!!!! Don't let NC211 steal it or Rob it. :whistles:

... if anyone is interested in my 93 Benz, let me know!! It truly is one of the most beautiful cars ever built, at least thats my opinion..... Thanks again!

-Dante

haaa! I am with you! I used to own a black 93 400SEL and a black 88 420SEL, they really "look" better than the newer S-class despite tons of mechanical nightmares.

glad to hear you've also got over the benz itches and turn to Lex. since the 2x benz, I have dealt with 4x lexus (2x LS4, 1x SC4, 1x ES3) and I will never consider MB again!

That's ok...I'll remember that in a few months during hurricane season, again. See if I ship my Honda generator to you.. Ohh, power push button...mmmmm...soooo nice. Did I mention that part about push button ignition? Ohh....soooo nice! Especially after the storm, when all the bees are *BLEEP*ed, and you're hungover from playing frisbee in the 150mph wind the night before.

What's that Aunt B? You want to sit in the nice A/C? Oh, I'm soo sorry, Mr. Rf was a pooo pooo head and cost me a $2,500 MB super cruiser. Sooo sorry...

hahaha :cheers:

PS: Party at Blake's house!

So sorry...Honda??? Hell, after Rita I bought a "Lexus" generator with auto air sweep/purifier, bug detector/zapper, ac/heat, auto house raising, shingle guard and instant FEMA trailer with auto debit card for hotels and meals and electric litter box/self wiping (i:e cat and box). :cheers: LOL, LOL to bed.

WOW!! You guys are great!!! Thanks for all the help!! I'm going to head to my Lexus dealer this weekend and start looking. This is just the beginning of my search, so, like I said, It'll be a while.... I will come back with questions on specific ones I see throughout the next few months. I hope to make a purchase within the next 5 to 10 months. I am a very picky shopper when it comes to cars. If there is one tiny thing wrong with it, I won't buy it. It took me 1.5 years to find a GREAT 93 Benz and a little over 2 to find a GREAT 99 Benz. But what do I need with two almost EXACTLY the same cars?!? I can't wait to go Lexus shopping! It's going to be a fun couple of months!! Thanks so much!! :) :)

So sorry...Honda??? Hell, after Rita I bought a "Lexus" generator with auto air sweep/purifier, bug detector/zapper, ac/heat, auto house raising, shingle guard and instant FEMA trailer with auto debit card for hotels and meals and electric litter box/self wiping (i:e cat and box). :cheers: LOL, LOL to bed.

Correction: Party at Rf's house! Sorry Blake, but the bug zapper feature pushed me over the edge... Leave it to Lexus to come up with everything. :blink:

Hi: In my opinion a 1998 LS will do just fine for your first one. You can find them pretty cheap. I would stay away from the air suspension. Second before you commit, go the the maintenance people with the VIN number and have them check the cars history in the computer for maintenance if it is a local car. It should be all there. Do a carfax or whatever other company you prefer to make sure your car has not been in a bad accident before you get it.

After that do the test drive and tell them you want to run it an hour in the highway, at lawful speeds that way if it has a bad oxygen sensor it will show up, watch the temperature gauge, it should not move much, run the ac to see how the car behaves for a minute then putt it off and keep your running I am guessing it is too cold to run the AC normally, do not turn the radio until you driven it about 10 to 15 minutes, to make sure you do not hear any bad noises from the suspension. After that test the radio, bring a CD and put it in the charger to make sure it works, look the car when you come back, they tend to leak PS or Tranny fluids sometimes.

If you find any bads tell then to have them fixed.

Finally if you feel satisfy you are on your way to a great car!

C. PR

You know your car and unless there is a major problem looming on the horizon with it, I would, personally, keep it for awhile and take the time to become more familiar with Lexus.

That's great advise! ;)

Datne, you have a beautiful S500!! Why are you getting rid of it? I think the w140 is my favorite, though it's a tough decision between it and the w220! If it wasn't black, I'd give serious thought to buying it since I need a larger car, but my LS is black, and I'm done with black daily drivers. :blink: