98 Ls 5 Speed Transmission

laserron

Hi All,

Know about the legendary reliability of the 4 speed. What about the 5 Speed?

Have a 98 with 64K miles on it. Bought it in July. All worked well. I noticed as the days got colder the car seems to stick in first gear for the first shift after startup.

Seems that for any temp below 50 F the car has to rev to ~2500 RPM before it shifts out of 1st. Going to 3nd and up seems normal. The 2st time it shifts out of 1st normally.

According to the previous owner the Transmission fluid was replaced just before I bought it.

Should I be concerned!! Is this typical of the 5 speed when it is cold?

Your expert opinions are welcome!!

LaserRon

You might want to change the fluid yourself and be sure that there is Type IV fluid in there. There is a lot of debate over using DEXRON II as a replacement. If they took the car to one of those 10-minute places and got scammed into a tranny flush, it could have the wrong type of fluid in it.

It is normal for the the 5-speed transmission of my 00 LS to stay in 1st gear until a higher RPM when the engine/transmission is cold and especially in colder temperatures. The transmission usually functions "normally" after driving a minute or two. It has something to do with reducing the chance of damage to the VVTi engine - I forgot exactly what the Lexus dealer service rep once told me. My 90 LS 4-speed LS transmission did not have this "feature".

Exacty the behavior of my '99. Shifts at 2500 rpm for a mile or two. Even if I back off the throttle at 2300 rpm and just hold that speed, it won't shift until I accelerate some more.

Bob

Hi All,

Know about the legendary reliability of the 4 speed. What about the 5 Speed?

Have a 98 with 64K miles on it. Bought it in July. All worked well. I noticed as the days got colder the car seems to stick in first gear for the first shift after startup.

Seems that for any temp below 50 F the car has to rev to ~2500 RPM before it shifts out of 1st. Going to 3nd and up seems normal. The 2st time it shifts out of 1st normally.

According to the previous owner the Transmission fluid was replaced just before I bought it.

Should I be concerned!! Is this typical of the 5 speed when it is cold?

Your expert opinions are welcome!!

LaserRon

:cheers: the reliability of the 4 speed.....does the same exact thing. The car will take "baby steps" until everything is warmed up. My office is at a top of a hill...I get in the car, start it up, and head home, the car will hold gears down that hill until it's warmed up. In fact, she won't kick into overdrive until the thermometer is close to the normal operating temperature.

in short...you're car is fine....she's just warming up, like the guys said. :cheers:

Thanks for all your advice. do not feel so bad as this seems "normal"

Just for general maintenance I will change the fluid using lexls tutorial hopefully this weekend. Also will do the 93 I have with 136 k on it using T IV fluid