Sc 400 Struts

riordamp

I have had an 1995 SC400 for about 8 years now. For most of that time I have been fighting a vibration that you could feel through the steering wheel. After about the first three years I got rid of a lot of the vibration when I had the mounts changed on the transmission. Lexus had already changed the engine mounts. This took away a lot of the problem but I still seemed to have a shimmy coming through the steering wheel that was usually made worse depending on road conditions. I replaced the control arms and struts which helped things out but I think I finally have gotten close as result of replacing a chrome rim that had a pretty good leak. So here is my question, I don't have a shimmy any more but I do feel a more of the road bumps through the steering wheel than I think I should. How much of a difference do choice of struts make?????? I had the front struts replaced locally and I know that they did not use Lexus struts. In terms of softening the road bumps would there be a big difference between struts ?? If there is a difference, would the lexus struts be a good choice or is there something else out there that would be even better??? I want to feel less of the small road bumps through the steering wheel? Any Ideas????

welll the shocks may have something to do with it but try and have your bushings(mounts) on the steering rack looked at. if those are worn then you will have sloppy steering or harsh feed back to the steering wheel.

Does that mean I might have to replace the entire rack or can I simply replace the bushings. I feel like I recall reading on this site that you have to replace the entire rack???