20" Or 18" Wheels

I just purchased my first lexus. Its a 2000 GS300 and i really like it. My question is i'm wanting to go with either 20 or 18 wheels and tires. But i drive my car 3 hours to Los angles about every 2-3 weeks and currently with the 16" stock wheels the car rides very nice. But i really like the look of the gs sittin on 20's. What im wondering is how much of a decline in the ride will have if i went with 20's or should i be looking at 18"? At this point i really don't want to lower the car. If any of you guys got a pic of your ride with either size wheel on the car can you post it. As that may help me with my decision. Thanks

I just purchased my first lexus. Its a 2000 GS300 and i really like it. My question is i'm wanting to go with either 20 or 18 wheels and tires. But i drive my car 3 hours to Los angles about every 2-3 weeks and currently with the 16" stock wheels the car rides very nice. But i really like the look of the gs sittin on 20's. What im wondering is how much of a decline in the ride will have if i went with 20's or should i be looking at 18"? At this point i really don't want to lower the car. If any of you guys got a pic of your ride with either size wheel on the car can you post it. As that may help me with my decision. Thanks

If you must, Go with 18's. 20's will be like riding a board and chances of cracking/bending the wheels are likely. You will also have to roll the fender wells. But do what you want. :whistles:

I went with the 20's, I didn't lower my car at all and had no adverse effects (e.g. scrubbing, wobbling, or ruff ride). However, there is more road noice, and it will decrease your gas milage. All I would say is make sure you have a good alarm system with an area and motion alarm...so you won't be sitting on bricks.

I, personally, like my 18's very much. I have also lowered my car with Eibachs and upgraded to Bilstein shocks so that affects my ride quality. I am used to owning mustangs though, so the ride is still excellent to me! I think 20's would be a little stiffer than I would like but they look great. Here's a look at my 18's...

695504_22_full.jpg

695504_24_full.jpg

Hope this helps... Let us know what you decide to do.

~Da G

I, personally, like my 18's very much. I have also lowered my car with Eibachs and upgraded to Bilstein shocks so that affects my ride quality. I am used to owning mustangs though, so the ride is still excellent to me! I think 20's would be a little stiffer than I would like but they look great. Here's a look at my 18's...

695504_22_full.jpg

695504_24_full.jpg

Hope this helps... Let us know what you decide to do.

~Da G

Thanks guys for your input. I'm still undecided at this point. I'll wait to see if some more people post pics of their ride. Thanks again

I like the looks of the 18's on your car. Is it stock height ? Also what size tires are you running and what is the offset on your wheels. Thanks

thanks. the car has about a 1 inch drop on Tein CS coilovers.

the wheels are oem 2006 GS430 (18x8 +45) wheels.

the tires are 245/40-18 Pireli Pzero Nero.

Also, check out 19" wheels if you are torn between 18" and 20". I have 19" Ace Trend wheels (deep dish with a polished lip); they look sweet and my wheel/tire combo is still the same diameter as the oem wheel/tire combo. Not a rough ride at all either, make sure you buy a real good quality tire as it is the only contact from car to ground (obviously). My TOYO's were about $270 ea., wheels were about $290 ea. Hope this helps. :cheers: I'll try to get some pics on here when I have the chance.

Nick

Also, check out 19" wheels if you are torn between 18" and 20". I have 19" Ace Trend wheels (deep dish with a polished lip); they look sweet and my wheel/tire combo is still the same diameter as the oem wheel/tire combo. Not a rough ride at all either, make sure you buy a real good quality tire as it is the only contact from car to ground (obviously). My TOYO's were about $270 ea., wheels were about $290 ea. Hope this helps.:cheers: I'll try to get some pics on here when I have the chance.

Nick

20s all day man, 18s are for lilmen getcha grown & sexy on. I have no rubbing, everythings at stock height even when i had the 3 people in the back. And people are surprised about the ride quality because it doesnt feel like 20s.

MVC-005F.JPG

Personally, I think the GS looks silly, as do most cars, on 20s without a bodykit of some kind.

My suggestion would be 18's, I think Chuck's OEM GS430 18s look superb on that car, really good! Thats what I'd do right there...

Personally, I think the GS looks silly, as do most cars, on 20s without a bodykit of some kind.

My suggestion would be 18's, I think Chuck's OEM GS430 18s look superb on that car, really good! Thats what I'd do right there...

Yea 18s IF you wanna lower your car and all of that, but i did that back in my honda days all of that lowering just messes up your suspension in the long run. 20s all day man.

thanks Steve. :)