Advice On '91 Ls400?

LexDiamond

Hello,

I recently bought my first car. It's a '91 LS400 with 193,000 miles on it. What do you guys recommend I do to keep it strong, as far as maintnance goes and such?

Congratulations on your purchase!

These are pretty tough and enduring cars - more so than most - but as with any vehicle, regular maintenance is essential. The first thing to ensure is that the PAS pump isn't leaking onto the alternator - this is a common problem and can result in alternator failure if unchecked. Suspension bushes and the like are another weak point, causing creaks/clunks when steering or driving over bumps. If possible, get the car up on a hoist and have a good look underneath. When I bought it my car had a severely rusted brake pipe at the back, even though it had a full year's MoT! But don't worry too much, I was a little hasty in buying mine and didn't get one of the best examples.

I reckon that by replacing all the fluids and filters (because you can't assume that the previous owner will have), then following a regular generic maintenance schedule thereafter, you'll have a car that will do another 193k easily. www.lexls.com has some brilliant illustrated tutorials which will show you how.

Good luck!

yeah thanks man for the advice... i took the car to oil change place to have them look at the fluids and all, and they did so they said it was alright... replaced the air filter... this was a (auto) dealer's car actually, so i dont think i should worry much right? assuming he knew his own car...

you should be fine. DONT power flush the TRANNY! look into tune-up, suspension bushings, blacked out LCD, then body kit, hid upgrade, "20 rimsm you get the picture. check out the pins (on top)

right.. i did the audio first tho.. but i get the picture

you should be fine. DONT power flush the TRANNY! look into tune-up, suspension bushings, blacked out LCD, then body kit, hid upgrade, "20 rimsm you get the picture. check out the pins (on top)

oh, how do you know my lcd is blacked out????

:lol::lol::lol: Little Secret.... almost everyone's LCD is blacked out (mine included)! :lol::lol::lol:

i suggest if you have any knowledge on soldering then you can get a new LCD for $160 or have it performed for you for about $200(lextreme.com). Lexls.com has the same car as yours and has LOTS of info on this, and other useful things (could've save $$$ on the oil change). DO NOT get a STealer Climate Control Unit, just blacks out again!

P.S. Welcome to the CLUB! :cheers: