Looking To Get Into The Lexus Family

Dimensions

Hey guys!

Right now, I drive an 1992 Audi 100s (my first car) that I purchased last summer. I bought that Audi and I've put a lot into it but haven't gotten a lot in return. I've spent double on it to try and get it up to par... New Power Steering Pump, New Rotors/Pads, Cooling Fan, Complete Tune-Up, Using Good Oil, giving it only Mobil Premium Fuel, and I've spent an additional small fortune buying a lot of little things (handles, lights, instrument cluster, etc). Compared to when I first got it, the car is awesome, runs fairly smooth and all...but chronic electrical problems, a wacky a/c, and new problems that seem to prop up everytime I think it's finally going normal have got me thinking selling my Audi and switching to another car. All I knew was that I wanted to stay in luxury car field (i'm spoiled with leather, heated seats, sunroof, etc), would not plague me with mechanical/electrical problems, better head room (I'm 6'2"), and had the same MPG as my Audi or better. After doing some research I found that highly regarded brands like Mercedes, Audi (newer), BMW and Saab had their fair share of electrical and mechanical problems. So after talking to a friend, he directed me to look at the Japanese Luxury brands of Acura, Infinti and Lexus. The RL and Q45 caught my eye but they had their own little history of problems. However, as soon as I glanced upon the LS400, I fell in love and all the research I've done on this car has pointed to it being BadAss. It even has a Consumer Guide rating of Best Buy. The record was pretty flawless compared to the other Luxury makes. And I was pleasantly surprised that LS400's V8 gave 19/26 MPG compared to my Audi's V6 giving 17/24.

So I'm looking to get into an 2nd Generation LS400 (95-97) in the coming months and I was wondering what you experienced owners can tell me what to watch out for and what features are a must. My only concern is that I live in MA and will travel frequently to Upstate NY (where I go to college) and if you haven't heard, it snows quite a bit in these areas. Will there be a huge detriment, if any, because the Lexus is RWD? I know it's said that RWD cars don't perform as well as FWD drive cars in the snow but will traction control make up the difference? The Audi was only FWD and it did pretty well in the snow. And just for reference, I'm an extra careful driver during harsh weather and only plan on using that Lexus power during the good times.

Also, should I expect repair costs to be around the same as an Audi or less expensive or even more?

So yeah, thanks for reading and I hope you all can leave me some love and advice. :D

Hi Dims-

Based on your description of wants and desires, you won't go wrong with a Gen 2 LS400. I am originally from Rochester NY and lived there for 37 years before moving south of the Finger Lakes, and I now work in Cortland (46 mile, one hour commute daily through Ithaca). This just to let you know I understand the snow and conditions you speak of.

I bought a Gen 1 (1992) LS400 in November after much research, and they are not bad in the snow as long a you have experience with RWD cars, especially heavy ones. Plan on investing in some quality winter tires and you will have no cares.

You would expect fewer problems with a Gen 2 vs. Gen 1. Repairs will probably cost about the same than the European brands you mention, but if the problem was diagnosed properly and the repairs are done correctly, whatever the problem was should be cured and stay cured. Toyota quality and reliability are well known. Of course, a correct diagnosis is 90% of the battle. Getting the wrong thing fixed usually doesn’t cure problems. :rolleyes:

Experiment with the SEARCH FORUM function at the bottom of the forum pages, and you will find a wealth of answers (or at least opinions) to any question you might have. Check the tire forum for ongoing debates as to which summer tires are the best/quietest and which winter tires have the best bite for the buck. Also check the pinned topics for guides to how to buy/what to buy/what to look for.

Good luck!

Experiment with the SEARCH FORUM function at the bottom of the forum pages, and you will find a wealth of answers (or at least opinions) to any question you might have. Check the tire forum for ongoing debates as to which summer tires are the best/quietest and which winter tires have the best bite for the buck. Also check the pinned topics for guides to how to buy/what to buy/what to look for.

Very true! This has been covered ad nauseam.... http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=11775

I'd find a LS to sit in to see how you fit. Leg and head room seem quite minimal for a car this size. Especially, if you are comming from a German car, you might not find that extra headroom that you are looking for! ;)

Hey guys!

I bought that Audi and I've put a lot into it but haven't gotten a lot in return.

Sounds about right for an older Audi. Older Mercedes were much better than their German counterparts when it comes to reliability (I wouldn't buy an older Benz either though). Back then Audi still had too much VW in them to be worth a damn, but they're getting a little better.

You can't go wrong with the LS. Reliability and comfort wise - it will be years ahead of your Audi. Driving it in the snow will be a little different though. It is a big heavy car w/ RWD so It won't change direction as easily on pack as a FWD car would and once it gets going it will want to stay that way compared to a lighter car. Traction control won't do much for you on snow except keep you from peeling out or bogging down if you get caught in a drift.

You would expect fewer problems with a Gen 2 vs. Gen 1. Repairs will probably cost about the same than the European brands you mention, but if the problem was diagnosed properly and the repairs are done correctly, whatever the problem was should be cured and stay cured. Toyota quality and reliability are well known. Of course, a correct diagnosis is 90% of the battle. Getting the wrong thing fixed usually doesn’t cure problems. :rolleyes:

definately! personally i have a Gen 1 and the problems are VERY minimal!!! but Gen 2 is not as highly covered as the Gen 1 (if you are a DIYer) but the car is almost the same. and that brings me to the next point, maintence at a STealer is $$$. in Columbus, OH it's about $110 per/hr at the dealer and when a Toyota dealer hears "LEXUS" they :censored: their pants... too bad <_< just some points to consider??? also Gen 2 is 95-00, Gen 3 is the LS430('01)! but whatever you choose i'm sure you'll love it!

Good Luck, and welcome! :cheers: