Has Anyone Ever Installed A "real" Cold Air Intake On A Gs40

I heard and have read a lot about the cold air intake "boxes" and custom made metel boxes that isolate the air to the filter from the hot engine bay air, but has anyone ever built a CAI (DYI project) on these cars (the type dropped down by the wheelwell)? That's probably the most powerful intake you can use. Is this correct? I'm thinking of buying all sorts of piping, clamps, reducers and an "AEM bypass valve." I currently have a regular K & N air intake.

Thanks,

Nick

I heard and have read a lot about the cold air intake "boxes" and custom made metel boxes that isolate the air to the filter from the hot engine bay air, but has anyone ever built a CAI (DYI project) on these cars (the type dropped down by the wheelwell)? That's probably the most powerful intake you can use. Is this correct? I'm thinking of buying all sorts of piping, clamps, reducers and an "AEM bypass valve." I currently have a regular K & N air intake.

Thanks,

Nick

All lexus vehicles have a "real CAI". Are asking about a "BFI" like the sc owners do ? A bypass valve on your intake is really useless. If you want more air you will have to sc or tc the car. Good luck You could try thr SRT intake with the piggyback ecu. Some claim a difference in hp. I personally wouldn't mess with the ecu unless you have a backup. My opinion.

Nick

All lexus vehicles have a "real CAI". Are asking about a "BFI" like the sc owners do ? A bypass valve on your intake is really useless. If you want more air you will have to sc or tc the car. Good luck You could try thr SRT intake with the piggyback ecu. Some claim a difference in hp. I personally wouldn't mess with the ecu unless you have a backup. My opinion.

I have ran an SRT intake for over 3yrs. and close to 60k with no probs.The guys at SRT know there stuff.As for making your own thats probably a bad idea.

Thanks for the help guys, but I think I didn't convey the question properly.

I have a K & N intake, exactly like the SRT only my K & N doesn't have the piggyback ECU. I want to simply "extend" my intake piping downward by the front right tire (drawing in more cold air, not hot engine bay air). Many do this on 4 and 6 cylinder imports and have acquired better gains over the stock air box, stock air box with drop-in filter, and regular air intakes (like the SRT, Weapon R or my K & N). This is supposedly the BEST intake setup you can find. Obviously, the ultimate setup would be to do this with the SRT because that intake also comes with a piggyback ECU (which you already know). So as you can see I'm NOT building an intake from scratch, just simply extending it with extra piping, using the same K & N filter, same K & N piping that has the ports for the sensor and vacuum hoses.

As for the AEM bypass valve, that's just to prevent sucking up water through the filter. The filter is going to now be located about 6" from the ground by the front wheel leaving it suseptable to puddles.

If this cleared things up, has anyone ever done this DIY project on their GS, if not, why not? Logically this would be a good idea. Please help, your response would help everyone, not just me; that's the beauty of this forum. Oh, and what does "BFI" stand for?

Thanks, :cheers:

Nick

Thanks for the help guys, but I think I didn't convey the question properly.

I have a K & N intake, exactly like the SRT only my K & N doesn't have the piggyback ECU. I want to simply "extend" my intake piping downward by the front right tire (drawing in more cold air, not hot engine bay air). Many do this on 4 and 6 cylinder imports and have acquired better gains over the stock air box, stock air box with drop-in filter, and regular air intakes (like the SRT, Weapon R or my K & N). This is supposedly the BEST intake setup you can find. Obviously, the ultimate setup would be to do this with the SRT because that intake also comes with a piggyback ECU (which you already know). So as you can see I'm NOT building an intake from scratch, just simply extending it with extra piping, using the same K & N filter, same K & N piping that has the ports for the sensor and vacuum hoses.

As for the AEM bypass valve, that's just to prevent sucking up water through the filter. The filter is going to now be located about 6" from the ground by the front wheel leaving it suseptable to puddles.

If this cleared things up, has anyone ever done this DIY project on their GS, if not, why not? Logically this would be a good idea. Please help, your response would help everyone, not just me; that's the beauty of this forum. Oh, and what does "BFI" stand for?

Thanks,:cheers:

Nick

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ic=24832&hl=bfi

You could run the piping as if you are installing an intercooler and have the intake in the center front, It would take some cutting and you might have to take the front bumper off. Although you would have to be careful because it would be low to the road. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone built a BFI on a GS400? Almost like a mini "ram air" from the lower air dam in the bumper.

The kit that luxury motor works makes drops sown near the wheel well it's the same intake used with the LMS SC kit u just buy the intake without the kit. This way also if u evr want 2 add FI u already have the intake and u just need to purchase the rest of the LMS kit.