Strut Bar Bushings

Gumart1

I want to replace my severely cracked strut bar bushings (already did stabilizer bar bushings) and I'm confused about the correct part # for my '91.

These are the bushings that can be seen where the strut rods and the strut bar connect.

Sewell quoted me for "strut bar cushion", part #4867440051 about $35 each x2. That seemed about right.

Park Place Lexus shows nothing for that part #, yet offers "strut bar cushion", part #4867450030, for $106.90.

Are there more than two cushions along the strut bar and which is the correct part I am looking for? Thanks.

Gum, one is probably quoting you the Daizen aftermarket replacement part, and the other is quoting you the whole OEM strut rod.

Robert - Thanks for the quick answer - I thought you might know about any and all front end parts :D. But I think both places only sell OEM parts, Sewell and Park Place (Newlexusparts.com). The part#'s are even similar - perhaps one is for a different year LS? Perhaps one is for the OEM strut rod which includes the cushions? I just want to be sure there are only two along the whole bar at the location of the rods and nothing more.

Marty, you are right, there is only one bushing on the rod. Here are the ones that came out of my car:

gallery_1461_62_1105556923.jpg

The $110 price is for the whole assembly (rod and bushing)...that's what I paid when mine were done. The $35 price sounds about right for the bushing itself. I just looked at Park Place's site, and I could find just the bushing on there. Maybe Carey can be of better assistance! ;)

Thanks Blake! I think you may have mentioned this to me before, guess I've spent too much time under the car sniffing silcone spray :wacko:

Do you happen to know the part# you found for the bushings on ParkPlace's website? I can't seem to find it there.

By the way just to mention as an update - I just changed out my lower ball joints and stabilizer bar bushings and it made a huge difference in steering and cornering, and reduced my suspension clunk immensely - but not 100%.

I've also partially converted (front only, rears are next) my air suspension to standard struts from Arnott Industries and I have no more height issues.

All my bushings are severely cracked so I will be changing them out next. If anyone has any questions regarding the conversion or anything related please don't hesitate to ask.

yeah gunslinger...no problem...my pleasure to help my friend! As I appreciate all the help you gave to me over the past several months! :cheers:

I found with cetain dealers that they are starting to blend aftermarket parts and oem parts together, to reduce the cost to the customer. Caseinpoint....my rear carrier bushings. I went in about 13 months ago to balance the wheels, and was told the rear carrier bushings were shot "the start of the wobble curse". They told me the bushings could be replaced with part # llllll-llllll...sounded official, when in all honesty it turned out be a set of ASUS 302 aftermarket bushings, for...$35 in parts. I might be off on the ASUS part number of 302, but you get the point. I assume this is for your 91 LS? I'm betting since Sewell is very much in tune with older LS cars that they are now selling the Daizen, or ASUS bushings as a part of their inventory, and have assigned a non-oem part number to them.

Robert - Thanks for the quick answer - I thought you might know about any and all front end parts :D. But I think both places only sell OEM parts, Sewell and Park Place (Newlexusparts.com). The part#'s are even similar - perhaps one is for a different year LS? Perhaps one is for the OEM strut rod which includes the cushions? I just want to be sure there are only two along the whole bar at the location of the rods and nothing more.

Thanks Blake! I think you may have mentioned this to me before, guess I've spent too much time under the car sniffing silcone spray :wacko:

Do you happen to know the part# you found for the bushings on ParkPlace's website? I can't seem to find it there.

By the way just to mention as an update - I just changed out my lower ball joints and stabilizer bar bushings and it made a huge difference in steering and cornering, and reduced my suspension clunk immensely - but not 100%.

I've also partially converted (front only, rears are next) my air suspension to standard struts from Arnott Industries and I have no more height issues.

All my bushings are severely cracked so I will be changing them out next. If anyone has any questions regarding the conversion or anything related please don't hesitate to ask.

LOL Sounds like you are having a little too much fun with that spray! haha How perfect is this.... :snoooorrrtttt: LOL

That's great news that the new bj's and sway bushings helped out so much! I can't wait to do mine! PP usually only gives out part numbers on the invoices. :(

yeah gunslinger...no problem...my pleasure to help my friend! As I appreciate all the help you gave to me over the past several months! :cheers:

I found with cetain dealers that they are starting to blend aftermarket parts and oem parts together, to reduce the cost to the customer. Caseinpoint....my rear carrier bushings. I went in about 13 months ago to balance the wheels, and was told the rear carrier bushings were shot "the start of the wobble curse". They told me the bushings could be replaced with part # llllll-llllll...sounded official, when in all honesty it turned out be a set of ASUS 302 aftermarket bushings, for...$35 in parts. I might be off on the ASUS part number of 302, but you get the point. I assume this is for your 91 LS? I'm betting since Sewell is very much in tune with older LS cars that they are now selling the Daizen, or ASUS bushings as a part of their inventory, and have assigned a non-oem part number to them.

I believe Lexus actually does sell a strut rod bushing; I know k9crew changed just the bush on his '99 strut rods. ;)

There is no aftermarket strut bar cushion for 91LS, only OEM costing at least $100. Part #4867450030 is the correct part but if it can be substituted with part #4867440051, then you're on to something good. Check out part #4867440051 and let us know would you?

I want to replace my severely cracked strut bar bushings (already did stabilizer bar bushings) and I'm confused about the correct part # for my '91.

These are the bushings that can be seen where the strut rods and the strut bar connect.

Sewell quoted me for "strut bar cushion", part #4867440051 about $35 each x2. That seemed about right.

Park Place Lexus shows nothing for that part #, yet offers "strut bar cushion", part #4867450030, for $106.90.

Are there more than two cushions along the strut bar and which is the correct part I am looking for? Thanks.

call Carey at park place lexus, he is cool guy. helped me a lot.part might not b on the site but he can get it for you

Answers at last! After searching the parts with Carey at Park Place, he found that part # 0051 is just the bushing - however the old bushing would probably need to be pressed out (or burned out if possible like Lexls did with the upper arms). You can get the bushing alone for $35.56 each with free shipping. Or, part#0030 includes the bushing already in it's mounting bracket. Price is $106.90 each. This is independent of the strut rod - the mounting bracket attaches to the rod.

I'll probably take it apart and see if I can press it out and save $140.

Carey is a great guy - and he did verify that Park Place (newlexusparts.com) uses ONLY OEM Lexus parts, nothing is aftermarket. Also even if the part number is not listed on the website they still can get it.:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap, they are selling just the bushings now for the 95-00 strut rods!! That's a bushing for our strut rods. How much did that cost?

So part#4867440051 is a strut bar cushion for a 90-92 only? One thing I'd like to clarify is that for the front suspension, we have strut bars and strut bar cushions. In the rear, they are called strut rods, and strut rod bushings. This is how the service manual describes them.

According to Sewell, part#4867440051 is the correct strut bar cushion for a 1991 LS. Did they change that then with all the other changes for '93?

<Did they change that then with all the other changes for '93?>

Apparently so. Gumart just replied to your PM.

So since I have the strut bar out how can I tell if the bushing is bad? I know you can't necessarily judge by outward appearance but it seems to look fine to me.

If you are correct Aussie then I am very sorry for the confusion. But I have a written price quote from Darrell at Sewell for my 91 for part#0051. If it's for a 95+, then they have quoted wrong.

Oddly, Carey at Park Place did confirm with me over the phone that 0051 is just the bushing, but the correct one, and the part you are listing is the bushing already in it's mount.

So, two major Lexus Dealers have possibly given me the wrong info and I apologize - I will confirm this of course. Unbelievable if they make the bushing but still won't sell it separately!

Its always about you isn't it NC211!! ;)

These two bushings are up for sale right now, that or I am going to send them back to get a refund from toyotapartsonline.

If someone is interested let me know.

I cannot tell a lie....I have no life.. It's all work, wedding and LOC. I wonder if lexus is selling the bushings for the control arms now too for the 95-00 models??

>sigh<

All these bushings and struts... :wacko: Oh, what's wrong with a conventional rear axle + mcPherson in the front... ;)

Is there any guide or schematic drawing, where I can sort all the components out?

I mean, with the part number for each item.

I need to do a wheel alignment in the future, and I WILL have to replace some of the links = $$$ :huh:

/Alexander from Sweden